It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tedx flags talk about UFO's

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Wanted: A Science of UFOs | Alexander Wendt | TEDxColumbus

The irony is the whole talk is about the scientific community ignoring UFO's and how it's a taboo, and Tedx literally proves his point by flagging the video.

NOTE FROM TED: We’ve flagged this talk, which was filmed at a TEDx event, because it appears to fall outside TEDx’s content guidelines. Claims made in this talk only represent the speaker’s personal understanding of UFOs which are not corroborated by scientific evidence. TEDx events are independently organized by volunteers.

If any UFOs proved to be extra-terrestrial it would be one of the
most important events in human history. Yet there has long been a taboo in modern society on taking UFOs seriously, which has blocked any systematic science to try to determine what they are. Skeptics will say that is because UFOs do not exist, but the US Navy has recently confirmed that they do, and is making an official policy change to reflect this fact, from ignoring its pilots’ UFO encounters to requiring them to file reports. Yet even with the Navy’s revelation,
the UFO taboo remains so strong that the scientific community continues to show no interest in whether or not UFOs are ETs. In this talk Alexander Wendt argues that the UFO taboo is incoherent and unjustified, and proposes a crowd-funded science of UFOs as a way of beginning to learn more about these elusive phenomena. Alexander Wendt received his Ph.D. in political science from the
University of Minnesota in 1989. He subsequently taught at Yale, Dartmouth, and the University of Chicago before moving to The Ohio State University in 2004. His research interests center on international relations, where he is one of the most cited scholars in the field, and the philosophy of social science. He is the author of two books, Social Theory of International Politics (Cambridge, 1999), which won the “Best Book of the Decade” award from the International Studies Association in 2006; and Quantum Mind and Social Science (Cambridge, 2015), which hasn’t won anything yet. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at www.ted.com...

I actually have never seen the 2nd UFO video posted with the pilots locking in on the UFO with the auto-tracking and them freaking out, "What is that?!" That is smoking gun evidence, undeniable proof.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
What is the point of instilling fear in another life form. Millions have seen it at this point. It would have to know from far away life is on the planet. Why not just leave it alone if not planning on making contact.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

You are thinking like a human. If it is ET’s why would our thought process, goals, motivation or outlook be similar at all.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:45 AM
link   
It's interesting isn't it? Scientific discovery is enamoured with identifying the unidentified phenomena of all other aspects of existence, from social interactions to quantum particles.

Yet this one topic is shunned like "witchcraft".

Well, the US Navy didn't release video evidence of witches, my friend.

There is something worth looking into, whether it's as mundane as a gymbal error, reflection, or weather balloon. Or whether it's incredible as an automated drone from a dead civilization that existed hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Something was recorded, and investigating that is surely a logical, sane, step.

For some reason, discussing it... Is... Bad?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

The irony is the whole talk is about the scientific community ignoring UFO's and how it's a taboo, and Tedx literally proves his point by flagging the video.

Nonsense. It is flagged for laking scientific evidence, representing the personal opinion of the speaker.

Skeptics will say that is because UFOs do not exist...

More nonsense. Skeptics say that UFOs should be treated as Unidentified Objects or Phenomena as long as there is not enough data to identify them.

Imho UFOtainers, Hoaxers and Believers are making UFOs a rather unatractive research area. Too much noise too little data.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Actually, I think large part of the ridicule connected to the UFO field vanished after the Dec 2017 newspaper articles.
The scientific community and TEDx are still acting according to old dogmas, but they will change as well.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I don't get how that 2nd video is undeniable proof.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:59 AM
link   

yeah, I watched it yesterday, it caught my eyes when I saw TEDx and then realised that it was flagged and I was like WTH?😳

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
It's interesting isn't it? Scientific discovery is enamoured with identifying the unidentified phenomena of all other aspects of existence, from social interactions to quantum particles.

Yet this one topic is shunned like "witchcraft".

Well, the US Navy didn't release video evidence of witches, my friend.

There is something worth looking into, whether it's as mundane as a gymbal error, reflection, or weather balloon. Or whether it's incredible as an automated drone from a dead civilization that existed hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Something was recorded, and investigating that is surely a logical, sane, step.

For some reason, discussing it... Is... Bad?

They don’t want to further legitimize the phenomenon - would lead to increased scrutiny they don’t want.

I agree with your point 100% but my observation is the campaign against the UFO phenomenon being taken seriously is very well entrenched - to the point you can’t pivot to a new narrative without shredding the credibility of some of our nations most established (and trusted) institutions.

Having TED talks on the subject, main stream scientists start deeply reviewing the subject and reporting findings, etc. would be a blow not only to the Fed’s cred potentially after years of disinformation but probably also hurts black project secrecy and to an extent national security - particularly if your stance on this subject is some of what’s seen may be “theirs” but a good chunk of what’s seen is “ours” - which I tend to think has a better than coin flip probability of being the case.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

Having TED talks on the subject, main stream scientists start deeply reviewing the subject and reporting findings, etc. would be a blow not only to the Fed’s cred potentially after years of disinformation but probably also hurts black project secrecy and to an extent national security - particularly if your stance on this subject is some of what’s seen may be “theirs” but a good chunk of what’s seen is “ours” - which I tend to think has a better than coin flip probability of being the case.

Could you break down this run-on sentence for me? It's a little confusing.
edit on 2/12/2020 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

Nonsense. It is flagged for laking scientific evidence, representing the personal opinion of the speaker.

Skeptics will say that is because UFOs do not exist...

More nonsense. Skeptics say that UFOs should be treated as Unidentified Objects or Phenomena as long as there is not enough data to identify them.

Imho UFOtainers, Hoaxers and Believers are making UFOs a rather unatractive research area. Too much noise too little data.

Your response is nonsense. Having a religious agenda against the US Navy's science is pure nonsense.

Your second quote proves you didn't watch the video at all. The speaker says exactly what you just criticized the discussion about. Same with your third paragraph, you obviously didn't watch...watch the video.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I don't get how that 2nd video is undeniable proof.

Undeniable proof of an Unidentified Flying Object? Identify it then, if you don't think it's a UFO...

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This guy co-authored an interesting paper that elaborates on the themes in the TEDx talk.

Well worth a read.

Sovereignty and the UFO

Abstract

Modern sovereignty is anthropocentric, constituted and organized by reference to human beings alone. Although a metaphysical assumption, anthropocentrism is of immense practical import, enabling modern states to command loyalty and resources from their subjects in pursuit of political projects. It has limits, however, which are brought clearly into view by the authoritative taboo on taking UFOs seriously. UFOs have never been systematically investigated by science or the state, because it is assumed to be known that none are extraterrestrial. Yet in fact this is not known, which makes the UFO taboo puzzling given the ET possibility. Drawing on the work of Giorgio Agamben, Michel Foucault, and Jacques Derrida, the puzzle is explained by the functional imperatives of anthropocentric sovereignty, which cannot decide a UFO exception to anthropocentrism while preserving the ability to make such a decision. The UFO can be “known” only by not asking what it is.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

Very ironic mate, I haven't managed to watch the video either but I would certainly agree the subject is taboo.

That said Dr. Wendt (and Dr. Duvall) also did some great work on their paper Sovereignty and the UFO' (which was published in a peer-reviewed academic journal) and it made very good points about National Security, securitization and government UFO documents.

It also asked the question is willful ignorance about the UFO subject more political than sociological? 

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Ya Karl...I was just wondering what the former punk rock queen of Rock n' Roll --- Wendy O. Williams (R.I.P.) --- former lead singer of the Plasmatics --- would have said about this so-called "taboo" subject on UFO's?

Plasmatics - "Mistress of Taboo"

www.youtube.com...

edit on 12-2-2020 by Erno86 because: added a couple of words

edit on 12-2-2020 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Run on sentence or not, what he states is 100% factual. Regardless, TED is privately held and funded, so the choice of content is in the hands of the decision makers and founder.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: play4keeps
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Run on sentence or not, what he states is 100% factual. Regardless, TED is privately held and funded, so the choice of content is in the hands of the decision makers and founder.

Factual? Hahaha dude we cant even extract a coherent sentence from that pile of garbage let alone anything to debate!!

top topics

join