It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First peek of Boeing's FARA entry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Something about a whole bunch of aircraft parts constantly trying to liberate themselves from each other!

Engineers call it "Rapid disassembly of components"..

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

but unless its got some speed tricks up its sleeve it may be too little too late

FARA requirements "only" ask for 180 knts (hot and high). That's not much more than the Blackhawks and Apaches and should be achievable with an offloaded rotor and no propulsor.
Big advantage for Sikorski is they have a roughly representative airframe and powerplant flying and meeting or exceeding the hard requirements. Actual Raider X prototypes are already on the production floor. That saps all the risk out and pushes up the timeline. Since the customer wants it yesterday, that's a big deal.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RadioRobert

Just looking at all those blades and thinking about their associated systems, I thank God I don't have to deal with it.

In my mind's eye, all I can see is landing at a FOB or a FARP in the dark and having cold, exhausted guys running around all those low-set spinning blades on the ground trying to refuel and/or rearm. Can't clutch the tail rotor here. Can probably clutch the propulsor. But it's still a mess.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Boeing offer gets dumped, but they get to latch on to Sikorskys bid as an industrial partner..

breakingdefense.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I think China is going to make it our future. They want to be able to flood the battlefield for a fraction of the cost.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

Of course it's going to be our future. The key word being future. No one is there yet, although we're a lot closer than we were a few years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join