It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authoritarian Personality Syndrome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In a review paper published in the Journal of Social and Political Psychology, Psychologist and UC Santa Cruz professor Thomas Pettigrew argues that five major psychological phenomena can help explain this exceptional political event.

I like the first point best. But seriously. I'm posting this because another similar posting got deleted. I declare my solidarity! Many of those who regularly comment here on ATS are directly addressed. And I would be interested to know if anyone finds themselves in this text and possibly thinks about it. None of us are machines. But we're all human.

1. Authoritarian Personality Syndrome
Authoritarianism refers to the advocacy or enforcement of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom, and is commonly associated with a lack of concern for the opinions or needs of others. Authoritarian personality syndrome—a well-studied and globally-prevalent condition—is a state of mind that is characterized by belief in total and complete obedience to one’s authority. Those with the syndrome often display aggression toward outgroup members, submissiveness to authority, resistance to new experiences, and a rigid hierarchical view of society. The syndrome is often triggered by fear, making it easy for leaders who exaggerate threat or fear monger to gain their allegiance. Although authoritarian personality is found among liberals, it is more common among the right-wing around the world.
President Trump’s speeches, which are laced with absolutist terms like “losers” and “complete disasters,” are naturally appealing to those with the syndrome. While research showed that Republican voters in the U.S. scored higher than Democrats on measures of authoritarianism before Trump emerged on the political scene, a 2016 Politico survey found that high authoritarians greatly favored then-candidate Trump, which led to a correct prediction that he would win the election, despite the polls saying otherwise.

2. Social dominance orientation
Social dominance orientation (SDO)—which is distinct but related to authoritarian personality syndrome—refers to people who have a preference for the societal hierarchy of groups, specifically with a structure in which the high-status groups have dominance over the low-status ones. Those with SDO are typically dominant, tough-minded, and driven by self-interest.
In Trump’s speeches, he appeals to those with SDO by repeatedly making a clear distinction between groups that have a generally higher status in society (White), and those groups that are typically thought of as belonging to a lower status (immigrants and minorities).
A 2016 survey study of 406 American adults published this year in the journal Personality and Individual Differences found that those who scored high on both SDO and authoritarianism were those who intended to vote for Trump in the election.

3. Prejudice
It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to say that every one of Trump’s supporters have prejudice against ethnic and religious minorities, but it would be equally inaccurate to say that many do not. It is a well-known fact that the Republican party, going at least as far back to Richard Nixon’s “southern strategy,” used strategies that appealed to bigotry, such as lacing speeches with “dog whistles”—code words that signaled prejudice toward minorities that were designed to be heard by racists but no one else.
While the dog whistles of the past were more subtle, Trump’s are sometimes shockingly direct. There’s no denying that he routinely appeals to bigoted supporters when he calls Muslims “dangerous” and Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “murderers,” often in a blanketed fashion. Perhaps unsurprisingly, a new study has shown that support for Trump is correlated with a standard scale of modern racism.

4. Intergroup contact
Intergroup contact refers to contact with members of groups that are outside one’s own, which has been experimentally shown to reduce prejudice. As such, it’s important to note that there is growing evidence that Trump’s white supporters have experienced significantly less contact with minorities than other Americans. For example, a 2016 study found that “…the racial and ethnic isolation of Whites at the zip-code level is one of the strongest predictors of Trump support.” This correlation persisted while controlling for dozens of other variables. In agreement with this finding, the same researchers found that support for Trump increased with the voters’ physical distance from the Mexican border.

5. Relative deprivation
Relative deprivation refers to the experience of being deprived of something to which one believes they are entitled. It is the discontent felt when one compares their position in life to others who they feel are equal or inferior but have unfairly had more success than them.
Common explanations for Trump’s popularity among non-bigoted voters involve economics. There is no doubt that some Trump supporters are simply angry that American jobs are being lost to Mexico and China, which is certainly understandable, although these loyalists often ignore the fact that some of these careers are actually being lost due to the accelerating pace of automation.
These Trump supporters are experiencing relative deprivation, and are common among the swing states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. This kind of deprivation is specifically referred to as “relative,” as opposed to “absolute,” because the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to. For example, an analysis conducted by FiveThirtyEight estimated that the median annual income of Trump supporters was $72,000.
If such data is accurate, the portrayal of most Trump supporters as “working class” citizens rebelling against Republican elites may be more myth than fact.

Read more (:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

What event is the
"this exceptional political event" you speak of?

Can hardly wait.......

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

What event is the
"this exceptional political event" you speak of?

Can hardly wait.......

this!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I can show you how leftist exhibit each one of those characteristics.... but something tells me it would be a waste of time.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=24939060]oloufo[/post

Pure Rubbish . NEXT..................

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Too bad the ndaa 2017 which created the Global Engagement Center also lists partnerships with academics, journalists, the media, NGO's and private interests to influence targeted populations. They can also utilize special operators and agents for the same purpose. Don't take my word for it, click on the link in my signature and read it for yourself. And money continues to be appropriated to this agency by the Democrat controlled house created by the last Democrat POTUS.

I mean the bias is rather clear in this hogwash as well, as it to focuses exclusively on trash talking Trump and his supporters.

And you believe we are the ones easily swayed and tricked?? Oh dear, 2021 needs to hurry so we can be unleashed upon each other.

I mean ffs, this study was by an anti Trump professor at the University of California santa Cruz!! Was this guy looking in a mirror when he came up with this nonsense?? GeC propoganda.
edit on 2-11-2020 by worldstarcountry because: typos

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I can show you how leftist exhibit each one of those characteristics.... but something tells me it would be a waste of time.

I voted green in the last election. I never thought about voting 'The Left'. I am only concerned with the question of whether someone recognizes themselves here, since the points are conclusive in my eyes. Of course there are also idiologically blinded people on the extreme left, but this thread is about the 'type' trump supporter.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

If you can you should, op is quite accurate, I would be interested to see your rebutal.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Are you shocked that a Professor who has spent his academic life writing on racism and intergroup relations and such as their main work, has such thoughts? I'm not.

To have someone with such a background try to explain such dynamics without knowing or talking to Trump voters is truly missing the mark.

You won't believe me so let's just agree to disagree. Just like the pundits and Polls missed the mark, this Professor is taking his life's work and using it to explain a phenomenon he doesn't understand.

Your argument is boiled down to "Must be racist, Nazi, xenophobic" ect

I've never heard that before....... Hillary should have used that.

See you in November.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   

It's all based on human nature as described in this video:

People want STRONG leadership especially Republicans.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Great, more arm chair psychologist 😒

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Although authoritarian personality is found among liberals, it is more common among the right-wing around the world.

Oh, thanks for your expert OPINION. I'm more inclined to think that it's pretty much equal.

It is a well-known fact that the Republican party, going at least as far back to Richard Nixon’s “southern strategy,” used strategies that appealed to bigotry, such as lacing speeches with “dog whistles”—code words that signaled prejudice toward minorities that were designed to be heard by racists but no one else.

You must've forgotten about someone else's "Southern strategy," as well as the fact, that the Democrats were the ones who were pro-slavery.

“We need to take these people on, they are often connected to big drug cartels, they are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators. No conscience. No empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way but first we have to bring them to heel,” Clinton said in 1996.

it’s important to note that there is growing evidence that Trump’s white supporters have experienced significantly less contact with minorities than other Americans.

Another fact, or, once again your unbiased opinion?

Relative deprivation refers to the experience of being deprived of something to which one believes they are entitled.

This kind of deprivation is specifically referred to as “relative,” as opposed to “absolute,” because the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to.

Oh, this must be the reason why the Democratic candidates talked about reparations, as well as free healthcare and education for illegals, while American citizens are homeless and sleeping in tents. And for those who are "deprived" of going to college, the Democrats are proposing free college. Are you a college student in debt and feel "deprived" of being debt free every time you write a check for your college loan? Don't worry...the Democrats want to eliminate college debt as well, because they think people with college debt should be "entitled" to that.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo
1. Authoritarian Personality Syndrome
Authoritarianism refers to the advocacy or enforcement of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom

Absolutely not (at the expense of freedom), but people should obey laws, and criminals should be held accountable for their crimes.

Authoritarian personality syndrome—a well-studied and globally-prevalent condition—is a state of mind that is characterized by belief in total and complete obedience to one’s authority

Not even close. Authority should always be questioned. If some person can't withstand questioning, then they shouldn't be leading anyone.

aggression toward outgroup members, submissiveness to authority, resistance to new experiences, and a rigid hierarchical view of society.

No.

President Trump’s speeches, which are laced with absolutist terms like “losers” and “complete disasters,” are naturally appealing to those with the syndrome.

I always thought it was childish.

2. Social dominance orientation
Social dominance orientation (SDO)—which is distinct but related to authoritarian personality syndrome—refers to people who have a preference for the societal hierarchy of groups, specifically with a structure in which the high-status groups have dominance over the low-status ones.

Hard yes, but this should be a hierarchy of merit - intellect, character and ability. We should never be told that a person with an IQ of 65 has the same kind of ability as a person with an IQ of 175. Equality is an absolute lie. The problem with democracy is that it allows for a mob rule of the average and below-average, rather than for decisions to be determined by the intelligent. Hierarchy is necessary.

In Trump’s speeches, he appeals to those with SDO by repeatedly making a clear distinction between groups that have a generally higher status in society (White), and those groups that are typically thought of as belonging to a lower status (immigrants and minorities).

This is a BS lie. Trump never insinuated that immigrants or minorities are inferior to whites. His entire thing about immigrants was ILLEGAL immigrants, as in people who intentionally circumvent the legal immigration process, and people coming from dangerous areas where they were statistically more likely to be radicalized, or mass-immigrating people who have no skills or education that are just coming here to collect handouts as opposed to bringing in people who already have valuable skills that want to actively contribute to society.

3. Prejudice
There’s no denying that he routinely appeals to bigoted supporters when he calls Muslims “dangerous” and Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “murderers,” often in a blanketed fashion.

It can be dangerous to allow Muslims to immigrate here from areas with extremely high rates of radicalization - because then there is a higher chance that they've been radicalized and may have ill will against this country and its citizens. Nevertheless, people in Muslim countries are routinely put to death for things that people freely do here. And Trump didn't say Mexicans are rapists and murderers, that's another BS lie. He said there were rapists and murderers among the illegal immigrants (people intentionally circumventing legal immigration processes and sneaking in), which was and continues to be true.

4. Intergroup contact
Intergroup contact refers to contact with members of groups that are outside one’s own, which has been experimentally shown to reduce prejudice. As such, it’s important to note that there is growing evidence that Trump’s white supporters have experienced significantly less contact with minorities than other Americans. For example, a 2016 study found that “…the racial and ethnic isolation of Whites at the zip-code level is one of the strongest predictors of Trump support.” This correlation persisted while controlling for dozens of other variables.

Yeah, except the problem here is that Trump has been very outspoken AGAINST racism and prejudice, going so far as to say racists have no place in this country, so there goes that entire argument.

In agreement with this finding, the same researchers found that support for Trump increased with the voters’ physical distance from the Mexican border.

What? So what is this saying, that there was a higher ratio of Trump voters the further from Mexico you got? That's ridiculous. Show me some proof of that.

5. Relative deprivation
Relative deprivation refers to the experience of being deprived of something to which one believes they are entitled. It is the discontent felt when one compares their position in life to others who they feel are equal or inferior but have unfairly had more success than them.

I don't feel "entitled" to anything, I don't compare myself to anyone, and I have no problem living a simple, modest life.

Common explanations for Trump’s popularity among non-bigoted voters involve economics. There is no doubt that some Trump supporters are simply angry that American jobs are being lost to Mexico and China, which is certainly understandable, although these loyalists often ignore the fact that some of these careers are actually being lost due to the accelerating pace of automation.

Should people be happy that jobs are being lost? Should we be happy if a factory closes and puts 10,000 people out of jobs and puts their lives in jeopardy so that some CEO can get kickbacks from foreign countries and make more profit off of cheap labor from people who are being exploited? Did you know that there are factories in China that had to install suicide nets around their perimeters, because so many employees were jumping to their deaths just to escape the working conditions? Of course we're going to be pissed when we take jobs from Americans and send them to exploitative countries just so some people at the top can line their pockets. **** that! American jobs should be one thing we all agree about!

the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to

Yeah, god forbid people want to work and be responsible and have families instead of being jobless welfare leeches.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Another TDS thread.

TL : DR

I went to college full time during the day and worked full time nights to pay for it. I was tired all the time and sick often.

I emerged with no debt and saleable skills and valuable knowledge.

College is not a free ride nor should it be. Suffering builds character, something sadly lacking in today's youth.

When you get something for free you do not appreciate its worth.

Don't count on me to subsidize the bad habits of the younger generations.

They haven't earned it.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

People want STRONG leadership especially Republicans.

So do Progressives want "WEAK" Leadership? Maybe "people" don't actually elect them?

Were Dole, McCain and Romney Strong Leaders and Fascists ect as well?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper Regrading 'College is not a free ride nor should it be. Suffering builds character, something sadly lacking in today's youth.'

The rich kids, true that for too many of them. Spoiled rich kids, private schools, in a bubble and the skids are greased all the way.

But, most of the youth today are growing up in a tougher environment that I did in the 60-70's. We had cheap college, wages that kept up with company profits and productivity, and affordable housing (in Cali even, cheaper than rent until the mid 70s). College was not free but affordable due to taxpayer support. We could look forward to being better off than our parents, as our parents were to theirs. The kids now? less so. Not hopless, but it is harder. Get a job, get married, buy a house, afford a family? Used to be normal middle class, right? Now? The kids today have it way harder.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Another TDS thread.

Even worse, another TDS thread that tries to explain Trump's victory in a way that makes those who opposed him feel morally and intellectually superior.

Deplorables II: The Progressive Passive-Agressives Strike Again.

It worked for Hillary, it will work in 2020.

More tears to drink soon. Get your Barrels out this time.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Sounds like Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Kloburchar, and the DNC deep cover operations director all wrapped up into one big Easter Basket !!!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBoomersRBusted

They've got it better than we ever had it.

I wish I had the time right now to properly flesh this out, but I don't.

In short, they have many more resources at their disposal than I could have dreamed of at that age.

Technology has shot them lightyears ahead of what was available to college students in any previous decade.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa

“Tell me what to think cNn”
edit on 11 2 2020 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join