It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Fines Apple $41 Million For Secretly Slowing Old iPhones. Did Apple Have Nefarious Intent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
For those of you who own an older iPhone, you may have already known about this problem. This problem was discovered back in 2017, when it was discovered that Apple had secretly updated the software on older iPhone devices, that purposely limited their performance.

After being called out for this deceptive move, Apple apologized and offered an explanation as to why they did this. They stated that older iPhones were slowed down in order to protect them from a higher risk of battery drain. The problem, of course, was Apple's lack of transparency, since iPhone owners had no idea that the updates would slow down the operation of their device.

A French consumer watchdog fined Apple $41 Million dollars for committing "the crime of deceptive commercial practice by omission.”

The French consumer watchdog has fined Apple €25 million euro ($41 million) for its lack of transparency in deliberately slowing down older devices. The iPhone-maker has previously admitted to the practice, and apologised for not informing customers.

Evidence first emerged in 2017 that Apple had used a software update to limit the performance of older iPhones, feeding into a long-held conspiracy theory that the company intentionally slowed devices as they aged to encourage consumers to upgrade.

www.theage.com.au...

This wasn't the first time Apple was fined for deceptive practices involving their iPhones. From 2018:

An Australian court fined electronics giant Apple $9 million Australian ($6.7 million US) on Tuesday after a regulator accused it of using a software update to disable iPhones that had cracked screens fixed by third parties.

The Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) sued the world’s biggest company by market value for “bricking” — or using a software update to disable — hundreds of smartphones and tablet devices, then refusing to unlock them if the devices had been serviced by non-Apple repairers.

nypost.com...

So, do you believe Apple's reason for their software update? Why not inform their customers of this? Apple did not disclose this information because they knew damn well that people would get angry. Probably the best comment I read concerning this situation is posted below.

"Imagine buying a new car with a v8. A year later, the manufacturer sneaks into your driveway at night and replaces your v8 with a 4-cylinder without telling you. Eventually they tell you what they did, and that they were worried about your gas mileage. Then they tell you about a new v8 car you can buy right now."

Apple wants their customers to continually upgrade their iPhones every several years in order to please their stockholders. The trouble is, even though a new generation iPhone comes with improved tech, it comes with a much higher cost to the consumer. Yet, people love their iPhones and are willing to stand in line to purchase a new, more expensive model every couple of years.

edit on 2/11/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Of course they had nefarious intent. The intent being the ultimate in planned obsolescence, a subscription model for phones, computers, tablets, etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Did Apple Have Nefarious Intent?

Obviously. They have a long history of doing #ty, greedy things like this, like soldering the RAM onto the PC motherboards so that instead of simply replacing it yourself, you had to send the entire computer to them to be "serviced" for an exorbitant fee. Apple is a terrible company, and as someone who has no particular issue with capitalism, I have to say that Apple is the epitome of capitalist greed.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Of course they had nefarious intent. The intent being the ultimate in planned obsolescence, a subscription model for phones, computers, tablets, etc.

Does anybody -- and I mean even 1 single person -- doubt that Apple had nefarious intent?

Apple's entire business model is built around planned obsolescence: Pressuring people into spending too much money for a phone, and then replacing that phone way sooner than is necessary.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   

No, they are looking out for your interest of course because they want to be secure yourself with their latest technology. And their encryption is uncrackable, so if you want to protect yourself from uncle sugar spying and prying be sure you use an iphone. Take everything i said and assume the opposite is the truth. This is how government controlled media operates.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

iPhone and iPads are well made products, why buy a new one unless your old one is dying. If Apple makes it die quicker it would increase sales.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

iPhone and iPads are well made products, why buy a new one unless your old one is dying. If Apple makes it die quicker it would increase sales.

Thats the point. Iphones and iPads are only good as long as they can be updated. No updates, but fine otherwise? It's a brick and needs to be replaced. Even though technically... it's fine.

They're intentionally bricking devices so people will replace them.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I have to say that Apple is the epitome of capitalist greed.

That title has to go to Google. I like pulling for the underdog and when Google finally took over the dominant position in mobile phones, I switch to Apple.

I would say that Apple is the epitome of corporate America. They really want to make products in order to make piles of money.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Samsung does that too. I was told by a dealer that the big update last fall was partially designed to run the battery down fast so you would buy a new phone. It killed our phones' batteries. I was pissed because I did not want to buy a phone, I like not having a payment.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   
That's how it works. You could still be using an IPhone 1 if they didn't design it to take a # via the forced update.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
how we get one of those bad ass illegal Hauwei phones?

oh yeah Amazon duh.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

LOL

France has been a serious defender of the truth lately, disallowing these retarded clowns from taking full control. I would like to point out that France ruled that taking Covid19 vaxx invalidated your life insurance policy because it was considered self murder.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Instead of allowing natural supply and demand and smarter marketing to dictate the market, they used deceit to move the market.

Pretty much a type of grand larceny.
edit on 12-4-2022 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I upgrade my family's iPhones every other year or so. I pay a couple hundred extra bucks and I have the newest model. They run like tops. Never any problems with 'em. They integrate into my little Apple Constellation of devices. Everything shares for a minimal monthly premium.

If you don't plan to do what I said above ... you might wanna think twice about buying-in to Apple.

For you guys out there. You know ... the ones with battery operated hand tools. Ya know you stick to a family so you can get the mostest out of the extra batteries running around. That's what Apple's like. You go with one, you might as well get ready to buy in to the whole family of products. Ya might be happy if you do. I am more often than not. Ya might hate the transition.

Look before you leap.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SeriouslyDeep

Why are you going through ATS necroing old threads?

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 08:09 PM
link   

This is the tip of the iceberg where a third party can get access to your high-tech device. For whatever reason. This seems just to speed up the phone's obsolescence.If the stated function of a device is changed after purchase by the manufacturer, you should get your money back.

top topics

join