It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor Pete Wants To Decriminalize Heroin And Meth.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth
I think the ky is getting to his head...

Maybe it’s the (soon to be legal) poppers.
Who can say?

# 1065
edit on 11-2-2020 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I am a libertarian, so I could give a crap what other people do with their bodies.
Shoot up cyanide for all I care.
Weeds out the morons.

Unless you are on national healthcare that affects the money and resources available to you and your family.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I am a libertarian, so I could give a crap what other people do with their bodies.
Weeds out the morons.

The libertarian side of me doesn't like that most of our prison population is filled up with drug offenders. Many of those users, and a sizable number for pot.

Lets say they get out and stay clean... What are the chances they can get a decent job and be a productive member of society with drug charges on their record?

I'd rather try to help them for a few months than send them away for years only to come out with a record of leprocy.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

Weeds out the morons.

Unless you are on national healthcare that affects the money and resources available to you and your family.

Who says I am for socialized medicine?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Weeds out the morons.

That's looking too far ahead ......the let them do what they want also spreads more diseases.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Flesh699

What makes you think junkies will bother to go follow the rules of legal use? Just because junkies can go shot up in certain places doesn't mean they will and you still may find those needles in your yard.

Alcohol is legal and has rules of legal use, but alcoholics tend to not follow them all the time. It's why we still have all sorts of trouble with people doing things they shouldn't while drunk, like drive, or drinking when they shouldn't, etc.

Which is exactly my point. Why do we create laws in the first place? If a clinic can get even a 3rd of junkies to shoot up safely it's still better than what's currently happening, and still cheaper than giving them EpiPen shots once every two months. Plus it takes away most of the cartel profit if it's state administered. And your worries of desperate junkies coming through your window is much less if it's free to them and they're on a program to get clean.
edit on fTuesdayAmerica/Chicago0609699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Weeds out the morons.

Who says I am for socialized medicine?

Who says Pete isn’t?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Use has gone down where it has been legalised/decriminalised, or are Americans different than other humans?
edit on 11-2-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Use has gone down where it has been legalised/decriminalised, or are Americans different than other humans?

With strong funding and support for recovery. It’s not a one step process of just decriminalization. Decriminalization is the first step.

Want to Win the War on Drugs? Portugal Might Have the Answer

time.com...

Under the 2001 law, drug dealers still go to prison. But anyone caught with less than a 10-day supply of any drug—including marijuana and heroin—is typically sent to a local commission, consisting of a doctor, lawyer and social worker, where they learn about treatment and available medical services. And in Portugal, no distinction is made between “hard” or “soft” drugs, or whether consumption happens in private or public. What matters is whether the relationship to drugs is healthy or not.

Does Portugal treat addiction like a disease? Yes.

They also took away the party side of drug use it seems.
edit on 11-2-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Biggest stupidest thing I've ever heard.. I'm not gonna beat around the bush. I'm an ex addict and thats just effing madness ☹️🤯😲

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
a reply to: Trueman

This guy is a stone #ing fool.

He used to murder dogs for fun in South Bend?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Good. More freedom for me.

I'm fine with decriminalizing completely possession/use of all drugs, as long as the same regulations that control alcohol apply, but...

I would also increase the penalty for illegally selling to minors to the death penalty.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Clearly a cat man... in fewer ways than one.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Good. More freedom for me.
We can do next Woodstock Festival in the WH too

Did a bunch of you just flat-out turn into Dead Heads yesterday?
Heroin is not like you sitting there watching t.v., eating some doughnuts and drinking a coke.

More than half the people who use Heroin become addicted to it.
Most of those lose their jobs.
Most of those lose their friends.
Many of those lose their families.
Many of those go to jail.
And many of those who do not go to jail wind up dying.

Plus the White House is only 18 acres.
It would be the smallest Woodstock concert by far.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
On a side note being a libertarian at heart I feel all drugs should be legal just as we see pot is now in many states. In OR and WA there has not been huge changes to people's habits and there hasn't been big issues as we are now years into it all. The first year I saw people smoke more, but it has calmed down as people do it in many different ways. I have an older neighbor that uses CBD oil laced with THC now and she says it calms her down and puts here in a good mood while removing a good deal of her pain. Now hat is a win win to the idea of legalizing pot.

If we use Portugal as example, they changed possession from a criminal offence to a civil one back in 2001 and they have had huge success in all aspects of reduction in drug use to include a 50% reduction in imprisonment. This is only for small possession at the user level with everything else still a crime.

edit on 11-2-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Only if you make dealing legal

Making it legal will not stop the illegal dealing.
But it will show kindness to those that suffer from addiction.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I never said that.

That is your fear.

Do you think drugs are not sold in schools now?

No one is talking about making it legal to sell drugs to kids.
pete and those of us that agree with what he is suggesting are saying that addiction should not be punished with incarceration.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

No one is talking about legalizing theft.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

If we lived in a true free society, we should be able to beat the crap out of people pushing poison like heroin. Consequence free.

I would be ok with that.

But it wouldn't be consequence free. Those you choose to hurt can defend themselves.

But what do the dealers have to do with what pete is talking about?

He is talking about not incarcerating addicts. You know that's a good thing so you focus on the dealers and create straw men arguments.

Why do you want to hurt people that are addicted to something?
Are you or anyone you love addicted to anything? Would/do they deserve to be in prison for it?

Pete's argument is about compassion for the ill.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

I have experience with every drug there is.

I probably know more about this issue than most anyone on ats.

The addicts deserve compassion not prison.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join