It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Birds carry Coronavirus as One of China's [3] Main Bird Migration Routes Passes Through Wuhan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am not launching this thread in jest. I am just curious. I also attached an article back from 2018 with respect to birds, Wuhan and a study as performed as per the link below. I am not at all qualified to comment. I am placing this the ATS arena simply for comment.

One of China's three main bird migration routes passes through Wuhan.

My question is that can the birds carry the Coronavirus but not die from it?

Two genetically diverse H7N7 avian influenza viruses isolated from migratory birds in central China.

Abstract After the emergence of H7N9 avian influenza viruses (AIV) in early 2013 in China, active surveillance of AIVs in migratory birds was undertaken, and two H7N7 strains were subsequently recovered from the fresh droppings of migratory birds; the strains were from different hosts and sampling sites. Phylogenetic and sequence similarity network analyses indicated that several genes of the two H7N7 viruses were closely related to those in AIVs circulating in domestic poultry, although different gene segments were implicated in the two isolates. This strongly suggested that genes from viruses infecting migratory birds have been introduced into poultry-infecting strains. A Bayesian phylogenetic reconstruction of all eight segments implied that multiple reassortments have occurred in the evolution of these viruses, particularly during late 2011 and early 2014. Antigenic analysis using a hemagglutination inhibition test showed that the two H7N7 viruses were moderately cross-reactive with H7N9-specific anti-serum. The ability of the two H7N7 viruses to remain infectious under various pH and temperature conditions was evaluated, and the viruses persisted the longest at near-neutral pH and in cold temperatures. Animal infection experiments showed that the viruses were avirulent to mice and could not be recovered from any organs. Our results indicate that low pathogenic, divergent H7N7 viruses circulate within the East Asian-Australasian flyway. Virus dispersal between migratory birds and domestic poultry may increase the risk of the emergence of novel unprecedented strains

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
African or European swallow?

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Local guidelines include the following;

avoid contact with animals, poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons, quail) or wild birds, and the places where they are present, for example, bird/animal markets, commercial or backyard farms. Also avoid contact with sick or dead animals or birds

Source

ETA, Location is British Channel Islands

Make of that what you will, 🤷🏻‍♂️

edit on 10/2/2020 by MerkabaTribeEntity because: Eta

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
With a quick search I couldn't find any evidence yet of this particular virus infecting birds But I did find this.

“The outlook for China's poultry might be further affected, considering that authorities reported on Saturday (feb 1 2020) an outbreak of H5N1 bird flu in Hunan, according to Reuters. Over 17,000 poultry had to be culled following the outbreak, the news service reported.”

Bird flu

So, it’s just one huge virus party going on.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It would be cheaper for China to put freezers in every city and slaughter animals separate from people rather than have live animal markets because of diseases like Coronavirus.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
African or European swallow?

Err.....................agghhhhhh!!!!! B

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Nobody on ATS likes to do real research, so I'll leave this here for anyone interested. This excerpt is from Dean Kuntz book called "eyes of darkness" 1981

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I would say no.

While I suppose it's possible for this thing to mutate and jump to birds, that's a lot of gymnastics for one virus. It's already won the lottery to be able to jump from bats to an intermediary to people. Now you want it to jump from people to be readily and easily transmissible between birds (an entirely new type of organism) and then back to people?

Not happening. Now we're into monkeys and Shakespeare levels of random chance. Not saying it's impossible ... but you have a better chance of drawing the Powerball, getting struck by lightning, being eaten by a shark, and the earth being struck by an asteroid in an ELE ... all on the very same day!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: WhyDidIJoin

You know the inspiration for that book, right?

Koontz originally wrote and published it under a pseudonym in 1981. He revamped it into its present form and re-released it under his actual name in 2008. It came after the SARS outbreak. By then, China had ramped up its efforts to study corona virus because of SARS which makes sense since the virus that causes it is endemic to China's bat populations and just hanging out, waiting to cause problems again.

At another lab, a BSL-3, there was an actual leak of SARS strain corona virus in 2003. This was likely the incident that inspired the revamp of the novel. Meanwhile, Wuhan itself is a fairly significant city in China and not one everyone immediately thinks of. It's not a stretch to think the author simply paired the two and used the incident as inspiration.

The new BSL-4 in Wuhan is not supposed to be carrying out research on BSL-4 projects, only BSL-3, and SARS and related corona virus strains are only BSL-3 pathogens. BSL-3 level labs are far more common than most people realize.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There's farmers in China who have been mining bat guano for centuries at the least for fertilizer... they've been eating bats. Dogs. Koalas, for God knows how long... only now an emergence of this specific virus was eaten? LOL

top topics

join