It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new nemesis... stupid corvid...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
For those who don't know, we live in the northern Rockies... our house sits in a high mountain valley. It is rural, and it is wild country.

Three days ago, our alpacas started going nuts and sounding their alarm call. (An alpaca's alarm call is quite distinctive... like a high pitch, trilling whistle.) I ran outside, and there was a bobcat on the property. I quickly ran him off, but we free range our birds... so, it was a close call.

This afternoon, I was chilling with our dogs... watching a little golf... and I hear an alpaca sounding the alarm. With the recent bobcat intrusion, I'm taking no chances. I ran outside to see what was going on.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The alpacas didn't look nervous at all. It was weird.

I came back inside, sat down, and I immediately hear an alpaca losing it... alarm trilling like mad. I ran back outside, and nothing. Absolutely nothing. The alpacas were looking at me, like I had lost my mind. This time, I sat outside for several minutes... just listening. I was about to head back to the house, and I heard the alpaca alarm call again... but, the noise was coming from high above the alpaca enclosure.

It was a stupid CROW!!!

Crows belong to a family of birds, called corvids. Ravens and mockingbirds are also corvids, and all of these stupid birds are excellent mimics. This rotten, stupid crow has figured out our alpaca's alarm call. The mimicry isn't quite perfect, but I have to be outside to hear the difference. Inside of the house, it's muffled just enough to mask the differences. Stupid crow.

This crow, is now my nemesis. I'm afraid to shoot at the thing... "How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?"

Corvids remember human faces, and hold grudges... I don't need that kind of grief.

This bird and I... we will rumble at some point... not sure when, not sure how... but it will happen...

edit on 8-2-2020 by madmac5150 because: Cranky pants

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

Crows belong to a family of birds, called corvids. Ravens and mockingbirds are also corvids, and all of these stupid birds are excellent mimics.

Add magpies to that list, very smart birds.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

You have the best home security system ever.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   

That's quite the call lol. Do you think that the crows are screwing with you, chuckling to themselves every time you run out to check?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

That's quite the call lol. Do you think that the crows are screwing with you, chuckling to themselves every time you run out to check?

I'm not really sure, but I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm thinking of installing a window, high up in the cedar trees... give him something to fly into. Repeatedly.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Bluejays are in the same family... damn smart birds

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Just don't piss them off. They do remember people's faces and if they don't like you you'll know it.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You called him stupid ... but he's not. You just wish he was.

Believe me, I know. I have a cat that's the same. I call him stupid every day, but he's not ... I just wish he was. It would make my life easier.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

You have the best home security system ever.

This is a true statement. Nothing gets close to the house, without us knowing it.

If something (or someone) gets too close... we have a pair of Belgian Malinois that enforce our "no trespassing" policy.

If only they could climb trees...

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: madmac5150

Crows belong to a family of birds, called corvids. Ravens and mockingbirds are also corvids, and all of these stupid birds are excellent mimics.

Add magpies to that list, very smart birds.

We have magpies, and bluejays here as well. The bluejays are pretty chill. The magpies, for some reason, like to follow my car... they don't swoop down at it, they just follow it. I guess they like Impalas...

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   

First,

Second, that really sounds like it would make a great insurance commercial.

Third, choose your battles wisely. I'd hate to see a headline like, "Man mauled by bobcat while cursing at crow."

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
About ten years ago I heard a pig near the mailbox.....it was coming from high up. It was grunting like a pig. I was like "what the hell" It was a small crow. Now I know how the saying when pigs can fly came into existance.

Now...that got me thinking, crows have an area and I used to buy a pig from a friend of mine but he quit. So, I started asking around the area and someone a mile behind my house, I had to go four miles to get to his farm, making a circle on the road, had pigs. So I went to see him to see if I could buy a hog for butchering, but he had them all promised to people. I told him how I learned there were pigs there and he laughed and said the crows come there sometimes when he feeds the pigs.

Now here is a strange event. I was over at my friends who had pigs slaughtering turkeys with the Granddaughter, we used to do that every year till he moved off the farm and gave it to his son. We were down to the second to the last turkey and we heard barking coming from the coup...the dog was standing next to us. My granddaughter looked into the barn and saw the turkey barking like a dog, the last turkey. We were laughing, somehow that turkey knew the dog was not going to have it's head chopped off so it was talking like a dog. We were laughing and commenting how smart the turkey was, but he still lost his head and someone ate turkey dog for thanksgiving.

My granddaughter was about twelve or thirteen at the time and said it was valuable knowledge how to clean and pluck a turkey, but hopes she never has to do it in the future again. We have to teach our young survival knowledge, we do not know what the future brings.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Careful. Crows are known for Murder.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
About ten years ago I heard a pig near the mailbox.....it was coming from high up. It was grunting like a pig. I was like "what the hell" It was a small crow. Now I know how the saying when pigs can fly came into existance.

Now...that got me thinking, crows have an area and I used to buy a pig from a friend of mine but he quit. So, I started asking around the area and someone a mile behind my house, I had to go four miles to get to his farm, making a circle on the road, had pigs. So I went to see him to see if I could buy a hog for butchering, but he had them all promised to people. I told him how I learned there were pigs there and he laughed and said the crows come there sometimes when he feeds the pigs.

Now here is a strange event. I was over at my friends who had pigs slaughtering turkeys with the Granddaughter, we used to do that every year till he moved off the farm and gave it to his son. We were down to the second to the last turkey and we heard barking coming from the coup...the dog was standing next to us. My granddaughter looked into the barn and saw the turkey barking like a dog, the last turkey. We were laughing, somehow that turkey knew the dog was not going to have it's head chopped off so it was talking like a dog. We were laughing and commenting how smart the turkey was, but he still lost his head and someone ate turkey dog for thanksgiving.

My granddaughter was about twelve or thirteen at the time and said it was valuable knowledge how to clean and pluck a turkey, but hopes she never has to do it in the future again. We have to teach our young survival knowledge, we do not know what the future brings.

When I was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB, there was a mockingbird that nested near the auto hobby shop, on base.

It would mimic air-wrenches, car horns and tools falling on concrete. It was pretty wild. It was amusing.

This alpaca mimic... not so amusing.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
...Third, choose your battles wisely. I'd hate to see a headline like, "Man mauled by bobcat while cursing at crow."

Are they in it together ?
Could it be a newfangled conspiracy ?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
nice stories

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Get you a Bluetooth speaker, find a crow in distress video on YouTube and blast that several times. You will get them riled up at first as they fly around looking for the hurt crow, but eventually they learn and seem to stop coming around. I figured this out by showing friends how to get crows to swarm, but then they eventually stopped responding and wouldn’t even come around.

Worse case scenario you get to see crows freaking out.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
...Third, choose your battles wisely. I'd hate to see a headline like, "Man mauled by bobcat while cursing at crow."

Are they in it together ?
Could it be a newfangled conspiracy ?

Out here... who knows?

The alpacas have been nervous tonight... the horses have been, as well. I've been outside three times, in the past hour... there is certainly something around.

Bobcat? Crow? Are they in cahoots? Are they drinking buddies? Should I be nervous?

I love Idaho...

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Probably going to catch some hell for this. But down-home this is the way we would handle it .Well actually we would just shoot it .

Here’s a idea for you .

Take some feed corn and soak it in antifreeze.

Then put it on a cookie sheet and set that on top the roof on your porch or somewhere high .

Make sure none of it spills onto the ground because antifreeze is deadly to all animals . They are attracted to it because it has a sweet taste .

Remember a nemesis is a nemesis .

Little explicit language couple F bombs in the C-word once .

I’ve always got to go for a laugh I can’t help myself . 😆
edit on 8-2-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

Get you a Bluetooth speaker, find a crow in distress video on YouTube and blast that several times. You will get them riled up at first as they fly around looking for the hurt crow, but eventually they learn and seem to stop coming around. I figured this out by showing friends how to get crows to swarm, but then they eventually stopped responding and wouldn’t even come around.

Worse case scenario you get to see crows freaking out.

You, sir...

...have just given me the best Christmas EVER!!

I have a big Kenwood power amp, and a set of big-arsed speakers... if the weather stays foggy and damp, I'm pretty sure I can terrify every crow, within about a half-mile radius.

I should probably warn all 4 of our neighbors...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join