It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing Reports: US troops ambushed, killed in Afghanistan; possible insider attack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Developing Reports: US troops ambushed, killed in Afghanistan; possible insider attack

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates as more information becomes available.

U.S. Special Operations forces have suffered casualties following an ambush in the Nangarhar province of Afghanistan on Saturday.

A U.S. Military official who spoke to the New York Times indicated up to six U.S. casualties, including an undisclosed number of fatalities. Afghan officials also indicated as six Afghan National Army troops were also killed in what may have been an ambushed launched by Afghan troops against their U.S. military partners.
Updates are coming in - 2 Americans' dead from the 7th Special Forces Group.

Afghans Kills Soldiers on Both Sides

KABUL, Afghanistan — A shootout between Afghan and American soldiers during joint operations in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday resulted in fatalities on both sides, Afghan and American officials said. Details of the incident, in Nangarhar Province where American Special Forces were helping Afghan commandos and the Afghan Army clear an area threatened by the Taliban, were scarce. It was not clear whether the firefight was the work of Taliban infiltrators, a major concern in the past, or the result of an argument between allied forces that turned deadly.

edit on 3854Saturday202013 by silo13 because: bold fix

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

My one dangerous moment in this Middle East mess was when a tri-wall containing some medical equipment was being processed by 3 LN's on the flight line in Kabul to be sent directly to my area in the hospital.
(LN is Local National for those unfamiliar)

They had set an IED.

They screwed up the timer.

And blowed themselves all up.

I'm out some serious equipment I was using to try to save to soldiers lives, and 3 mother-f###ing assholes just killed themselves trying to kill me and my men.

Never trusted another LN after that, Afghan army, the same. Heard too many horror stories that never made the news.

My heart goes out to the brave souls who have lost their lives today and as for the rest?

I hope they rot in hell.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

According to this our guys came under direct fire...not an IED..youtu.be...

edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My one dangerous moment in this Middle East mess was when a tri-wall containing some medical equipment was being processed by 3 LN's on the flight line in Kabul to be sent directly to my area in the hospital.
(LN is Local National for those unfamiliar)

They had set an IED.

They screwed up the timer.

And blowed themselves all up.

I'm out some serious equipment I was using to try to save to soldiers lives, and 3 mother-f###ing assholes just killed themselves trying to kill me and my men.

Never trusted another LN after that, Afghan army, the same. Heard too many horror stories that never made the news.

My heart goes out to the brave souls who have lost their lives today and as for the rest?

I hope they rot in hell.

Luckily I never had to deal with anything like that while I was in the Air Force. I was a fuels guy, so I was reasonably well-protected from threats like that. It maddens me to all hell whenever I hear something like this. Even the ones who don't turn complete traitor and kill our guys get them killed in other ways, like not helping during firefights. In the book Red Platoon, the Afghans that were supposed to support our guys almost all hid during the attack. Freaking disgrace.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

No offense intended, but I think D.B. is referring to the shadyness of some of the people our soldiers have to work with.
edit on 8-2-2020 by Notoneofyou because: Old hands/tired mind

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes sir, I can attest. I did route clearance just outside of Baghdad and we worked along side all sorts of multinational forces. Towards the end of our deployment 2 guys from 101st were kidnapped and we loaded up 5000 troops on the road to get them back and employed a platoon size element of what we were calling "concerned citizens" to assist. I'm lead guntruck almost always with the husky so I can see clearly what everyone behind me can't unless they were on the gyrocam. But I'm watching these guys walk right up to every IED along the way and they knew exactly where they all were. Almost as if they put them there.... hmm.. I figured out later that the sheik in charge of them was being paid by the US 60,000 a month, and when the deployment was over and the new unit came in to replace us, they refused to pay and got lit the eff up just like we did when we first got there.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks for adding the info - I've been out goat wrangling (no joke) and I've not been able to follow up.

IED or not - do we know the casualty #?

More than one is too many.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Who leaked the intel of their position or possible positions is a question that needs to be answered ASAP.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DogfacedEngineer

It's an alien world there. It's cold.

You're the brave one, spent most of my time as a REMF.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Who leaked the intel of their position or possible positions is a question that needs to be answered ASAP.

I agree but we need to get out of there

Spin it however the politicians can stomach but its time to leave

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Had no idea you were medical.
respect.

My sister is a navy doctor. She served during desert storm.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

What is the U.S.'s mission there?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   
We need to leave the middle east entirely.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Had no idea you were medical.
respect.

My sister is a navy doctor. She served during desert storm.

Cool!

Spent most of my time dealing with TBI's, my specialty was neuro.

So never fired a weapon in anger.

No Rambo here.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

How about - get out - then find out who leaked.

And when you do find out? Hang 'em high.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   

My sis is a radiologist. She helped the soldiers that spent time around nuclear materials.

She spent time on a lot of subs. She told me the story of when she was in the gulf (on a ship) watching saddam set fire to the oil fields.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   
We need to stop training our enemies on how to kill us.

We need to stop arming them, stop supplying them, pick up our sh!t, and come home and let them live or die by their own swords.

Im sick and tired of seeing my brothers and sisters in arms , however old, die in that effing hole.

We dont need to be there, period, half the people there including command, have NO idea what the hell our objective even is, because its being directed by some soft handed asshat in DC, whose pushing an agenda NONE OF us know, or even WANT.

Get em out

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I got a tbi story for ya.. I hope this doesn't drift the thread but one of our missions included clearing a black road. Before we even got on the road I spotted a shady individual digging on the side of a canal. Not completely unheard of but when your job is to dig up bombs I just wasn't having it. Called halt convoy, and before we could even get the Buffalo into a spot to zoom in the gyro mortars and small arms just started raining. The very first 60mm landed directly on top of my truck, literally on top of my head. I was driving so luckily I was wearing a headset and it only perforated my eardrums and I still have most of my hearing in my right ear, only about 20% in my left. But the hilarious part was I kicked out my tc and the medic in the back to get some ground while I position the vehicle in a better place (not under the incoming indirect that just directly hit my vic) anywho. It's just me and my gunner (Jamaican accent and a marine turned ARMY).. neither one of us can hear one another very well now thanks to the blast but I'm yelling wtf was that?! And he yells down, "I dunno but it sounded pretty close, I think I spilled my gatorade, I'm feelin kinda wet" adrenaline kicked in and he had no idea the wet was from the blood loss from all the shrapnel he just took in his arms.. we get a call on the radio that qrf is right down the road and to hold position til they get there. So I jump out of the truck to go relay the message to the guys on the ground. Running through 7.62s bouncing off the ground, I get to my buddy who is taking cover behind a hesco basket and I'm hauling ass so I slam into it and the thing slides like 8 feet.... it hadnt been filled yet... my eyes got so huge and I just looked at him and said "f**k this" and bolted right back to my rg31. The best part about that day was every last one of us made it back to base and laughed so hard at the cf of a day we'd just had.. then I remembered that my truck was still in pieces from an IED a week before... I was borrowing the captains truck that day hahahaha
I have the picture of the impact on the truck my commander sent me some years later but I have no clue how to upload it from my phone onto here
edit on 8-2-2020 by DogfacedEngineer because: Tried adding a photo but gave up

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

lol thats a great story!

Because "fk your cover"

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   

You guys are friggin' nuts!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>