It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Debt Increased by $3 Trillion During Donald Trump's Three Years as President

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

I would argue that the deficit was more of President Obama’s problem than even Bush or Trump. Obama was a member of the Senate, which in reality is the only group along with the House that can really begin to work on the problem. The interest was an issue for Obama, 911 was an issue for Bush, and for Trump, spending, both the House and the Senate along with interest are the problem.

Aside from presenting the budget, which is never what was presented after all the extras added by the House and Senators are done, and the final signing of the budget as presented by the Congress, a President has little control over it. The Congress is who needs to be held accountable but seems we are all happy to blame the others who really lack any oversight or control.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Fallingdown
National debt for fiscal year under Obama .

2008.....1 trillion
2009.....1.6 trillion
2010....,1.9 trillion

Total 4.5 trillion

Trump first three years 3 trillion per your source

I believe that adds up to Winning!!!

Obama added the most dollar amount of debt than any other president, at a little less than 9 trillion in eight years.

Trump may or may not beat that.

Doesn't look like winning to me.

That's because you're not a partisan hack.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

2008.....1 trillion
2009.....1.6 trillion
2010....,1.9 trillion

Total 4.5 trillion

Obama added the most dollar amount of debt than any other president, at a little less than 9 trillion in eight years.

That's because you're not a partisan hack.

Unironically my favorite thing someone has said about me all week.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I think we are OK

www.shadowstats.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
a reply to: face23785

Except there are plenty metrics showing it’s not doing good. There’s increased suicide rates. Increased addiction. Lowering life expectancy. Massive public and personal debt. Decline in the quality of jobs. Low workforce participation. Critically low investments in industry and manufacturing. And if gdp was accounted correctly, by subtracting interest, penalty charges, increased rents etc, rather than adding them, because they remove profit from the economy rather than adding it, gdp would be decreasing too.

You just talked about a lot of things that aren't economic indicators, and then brought up some new ones that had to be trotted out because the usual ones are so good they can't bash Trump with them. Keep it up, you're just making more Trump voters with that kind of dishonest nonsense.

a reply to: face23785

Also, we’ve had way more wars than just Iraq. And the trump tax cuts are projected to cost us 5.5 trillion through 2029. At any rate, where I get my numbers is besides the point because all you have to do is google any of it and a various set of estimates will be provided to you. It’s easy to find, we all have access to the same info. “I don’t know where you get your numbers” sure. I get them the same place you do. The silicon god of all knowledge and trivia.

Where you get the numbers is very much an issue. When you only take the estimates that help you push your narrative, you come off looking dishonest and/or uninformed, which you do. CBO projected they would cost about $1.5T, and that was assuming 1.8% economic growth. With economic growth above that, they will cost less than what CBO projected. Whoever came up with that $5.5T obviously calculated it in whatever way they could to try to push an agenda. It's like the Florida vote count in the 2000 election. Almost every way you can possibly conceive of to count the votes, it turns out Bush won. But if you count them a very contrived, illegal, and unprecedented way, you can get Gore to win. One way is right, one way is agenda-driven.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

2008.....1 trillion
2009.....1.6 trillion
2010....,1.9 trillion

Total 4.5 trillion

According to those numbers, he's on pace to add less debt than Obama.

So if you can cut taxes, restore military funding, and grow the economy, all while adding less debt than the previous President did during the same period in his presidency, I don't see how you can't at least think that's good. If you don't wanna use the loaded term "winning," acceptable.

For the record, I'd like him to take a stronger stand on balancing the budget. Maybe after the election, hopefully. I don't care if the government has to be "shut down" for a year.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

2008.....1 trillion
2009.....1.6 trillion
2010....,1.9 trillion

Total 4.5 trillion

So if you can cut taxes, restore military funding, and grow the economy, all while adding less debt than the previous President did during the same period in his presidency, I don't see how you can't at least think that's good. If you don't wanna use the loaded term "winning," acceptable.

For the record, I'd like him to take a stronger stand on balancing the budget. Maybe after the election, hopefully. I don't care if the government has to be "shut down" for a year.

All of your arguments ignore the fact that he hasn’t done anything to address or mitigate the coming bust. In fact, most of his actions are making it worse.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Yeah.

This sucks.

Sucks bad.

It's something I disagree with.

Congress sets the budget and holds the president hostage until he signs what congress wants.

Trump should grow an even bigger set of balls and shut down the government until congress comes up with a rational budget.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

2008.....1 trillion
2009.....1.6 trillion
2010....,1.9 trillion

Total 4.5 trillion

All of your arguments ignore the fact that he hasn’t done anything to address or mitigate the coming bust. In fact, most of his actions are making it worse.

So you can't refute anything I said and instead make baseless doom predictions for the future. Got it.

Same people telling you he's gonna crash the economy told you it would never recover from the election night plunge too.

You need better sources man, they really are making you look like a fool.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yeah.

This sucks.

Sucks bad.

Congress sets the budget and holds the president hostage until he signs what congress wants.

Trump should grow an even bigger set of balls and shut down the government until congress comes up with a rational budget.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I hope that's what he does first budget after he gets re-elected. # Congress. Do your damn jobs.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Yeah.

This sucks.

Sucks bad.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I hope that's what he does first budget after he gets re-elected. # Congress. Do your damn jobs.

I'm with you.

If Trump can meaningfully dial back wars, help congress with reducing debt, and restore more freedom than federal govt gets power... I'd say his presidency was immensely positive. Right now he's just Eh. Not bad, not great. Better than the last two, but that's a low bar.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Goedhardt
I guess he will have much more wiggleroom after re-election, not having to worry about his coming election.

There were more urgent matters to deal with. And while the Republicans were not supportive in the beginning of the 3 years, the Dems went all out in their resistance efforts. It makes it hard to fix a country, but still he did.

It’s just 3 out of the 8 years. I think it is still to early to judge on this debt.

Indeed.

However, this is a moot discussion for everyone unless we're willing too take a good hard look at spending in Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, entitlements, and a portion of the military. That portion being lobbying and kickbacks, and politicians trying to keep programs alive as a campaign check mark at home.

Lets have a strong and efficient military that can be anywhere in the world in 24 hours, but doesn't need to be.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Goedhardt
I guess he will have much more wiggleroom after re-election, not having to worry about his coming election.

There were more urgent matters to deal with. And while the Republicans were not supportive in the beginning of the 3 years, the Dems went all out in their resistance efforts. It makes it hard to fix a country, but still he did.

It’s just 3 out of the 8 years. I think it is still to early to judge on this debt.

Indeed.

However, this is a moot discussion for everyone unless we're willing too take a good hard look at spending in Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, entitlements, and a portion of the military. That portion being lobbying and kickbacks, and politicians trying to keep programs alive as a campaign check mark at home.

Lets have a strong and efficient military that can be anywhere in the world in 24 hours, but doesn't need to be.

That's the problem with our system, nobody wants to have those hard conversations because all they care about is their next election. That was why originally the Senate wasn't directly elected by the people. The House of Representatives was, to represent the people, but the Senate was originally elected by state electors. The idea was to give them a bit of a buffer between them and the voters, so they could make hard choices without having to worry about the whims of the public and getting re-elected next cycle.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

It's a great debt, it's the greatest best of the best debt.

I'm very proud of the debt.

But here is the problem , the left still suckith the mostes.

Bottom line both party suck but the crazy left has made Trump look reasonable.
edit on 56229America/ChicagoSat, 08 Feb 2020 18:56:20 -0600000000p2942 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I starred you because you made me laff.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

a reply to: interupt42

I starred you because you made me laff.

And here I thought only the mirror could do that.

I kid

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

We need to reduce spending for everything by the federal government.

Then who pays for all the things ?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

“Winning” why would you take that seriously ?

Things ain’t been the same between us since that one thread .

I was being facetious .

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   

“Winning” why would you take that seriously ?

Things ain’t been the same between us since that one thread .

I was being facetious .

Sorry, I didn't catch the sarcasm... One of the things about things in text. Easy to misundstand, and I'm sure many do with me as well. I am serious sometimes, then switch to sarcasm, often in the same thread.

You and I disagree sometimes man, but each thread is its own topic. This world we be boring if we all agreed, don't sweat the banter, I don't take it personally.... That and we are typically just discussing something while realizing we won't agree on some things... No harm now foul.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

2008.....1 trillion
2009.....1.6 trillion
2010....,1.9 trillion

Total 4.5 trillion

So you can't refute anything I said and instead make baseless doom predictions for the future. Got it.

Same people telling you he's gonna crash the economy told you it would never recover from the election night plunge too.

You need better sources man, they really are making you look like a fool.

I already refuted all your points, you just chose to ignore the information because it doesn’t suit your paradigm. At any rate, I don’t have “sources” for that info. I’ve got hundreds of hours of reading and research that led me to those conclusions. Just like they led me to be warning people in 06 and 07 about the collapse of 08. They sounded just like you at the time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join