It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artemisinin: Cure for Cancer? (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Artemisinin has been used in Chinese folk remedies for thousands of years as a cure for malaria. Because of the nature of this chemical to attack and destroy cells with a higher iron content (such as the malaria virus and cancer cells) than normal, healthy cells in the human body, it has been proven an effective remedy in laboratory tests. Outside of the US, it is often used as a malaria cure, and shows no risk of long term toxic effects. In laboratory tests with cancer cells, Artemisinin has killed 75% of the cancer cells in a sample within eight hours, and within 24 hours has shown a 100% destruction of these cells. All of this without any damage to healthy cells also present in the tests.

www.sciencedaily.com
Research Professor Henry Lai and assistant research Professor Narendra Singh have exploited the chemical properties of a wormwood derivative to target breast cancer cells, with surprisingly effective results. A study in the latest issue of the journal Life Sciences describes how the derivative killed virtually all human breast cancer cells exposed to it within 16 hours.

“Not only does it appear to be effective, but it’s very selective,” Lai said. “It’s highly toxic to the cancer cells, but has a marginal impact on normal breast cells.”

The compound, artemisinin, isn’t new. It apparently was extracted from the plant Artemesia annua L., commonly known as wormwood, thousands of years ago by the Chinese, who used it to combat malaria. However, the treatment was lost over time. Artemisinin was rediscovered during an archaeological dig in the 1970s that unearthed recipes for ancient medical remedies, and has become widely used in modern Asia and Africa to fight the mosquito-borne disease.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Having read several articles on this from several different sources, this seems to be quite a viable alternative to the more expensive, more toxic cancer treatments currently available. Wormwood, the plant that artemisinin is derived from, has long been used as a folk remedy, and is widely available from from any herbal or homeopathic shop, and is not controlled by the FDA, though it also has not been approved as a cancer treatment.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.biomedcentral.com
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I found another link with a few case studies regarding artemisinin. Quite interesting read:

www.townsendletter.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wormwood also contains thujone which is proven to be toxic to brain cells. It's an interesting molecule because its similar to THC but sharing none of the euphoric features.

www.phc.vcu.edu...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Linux
Wormwood also contains thujone which is proven to be toxic to brain cells. It's an interesting molecule because its similar to THC but sharing none of the euphoric features.

www.phc.vcu.edu...

That article says it is contained in two different artemisia species, not the one mentioned in the first post.

"(+)-Thujone (1) is a widely occurring natural product found in the essential oils of two Artemisia species, Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia pontica."

The article quoted by obsidian is referring to Artemisia annua, a different plant.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I believe the strange green drink "absinth' is made from Wormwood also,
and didn't this drink help drive Van Gough a bit mad.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incognita
The article quoted by obsidian is referring to Artemisia annua, a different plant.

Doesn't matter, they both contain the basic constituent, making up a neurotoxic compound as it accumulates in the brain.

Wormwood (Artemisia annua)

Habitual large doses of wormwood can cause a range of undesirable effects. These may include restlessness, insomnia, nightmares, vomiting, abdominal pains, dizziness, tremors, convulsions and urinary tract disfunction.

Thujone’s toxicity can cause various effects as the amount of wormwood consumed increases, including seizures, delerium and hallucinations in extreme cases. Some researchers believe that thujone’s mind altering effects are similar to THC in marijuana (4).

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
oh well the herbal way isnt anymore toxic then that chemo potty they put in you or that raidiation junk.

its good to know all options toxic or not esp if you have cancer

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by noctu
oh well the herbal way isnt anymore toxic then that chemo potty they put in you or that raidiation junk.

I kind of agree, but there wouldnt be any scientific proof to backup my claims.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Also, keep in mind, it's relatively easy to extract the artemisinin compound from wormwood, if the toxic effects bother you. It's the artemisinin specifically that attacks and kills the cancerous cells, not wormwood as a whole. The upcoming NIH study regarding artemisinin's curative effects with malaria are going to be using pure artemisinin, and not whole wormwood containing the artemisinin compound. This upcoming study will also prove if pure artemisinin is toxic to the body or not. So far, it's believed that pure artemisinin is completely non-toxic. The NIH study will provide hard medical evidence supporting or disproving that claim.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
Also, keep in mind, it's relatively easy to extract the artemisinin compound from wormwood, if the toxic effects bother you. It's the artemisinin specifically that attacks and kills the cancerous cells, not wormwood as a whole.

I realize that, but there has been a couple studies that show compounds in the constituent could be toxic. The real answer has to be verified of course through further studies.

The upcoming NIH study regarding artemisinin's curative effects with malaria are going to be using pure artemisinin, and not whole wormwood containing the artemisinin compound. This upcoming study will also prove if pure artemisinin is toxic to the body or not. So far, it's believed that pure artemisinin is completely non-toxic. The NIH study will provide hard medical evidence supporting or disproving that claim.

I look forward to the study.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Linux
I look forward to the study.

Me too
It should be interesting to see what kind of results they can get in a controlled study

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have, I am thinking the reason was to kill any potential worms, but I am not sure, it was about ten years ago.
It is pretty easy to find, doesn't cost much, and it doesnt take much to make a very strong mug of tea.
So, head to your nearest healthfood store, pick up a package, and try some today!
One detail that is worth knowing though, It tastes so bitter, so tannic, so strong, and just so awful, I was unable to find anything to disguise the taste. It is likely the vilest drink I have purposely imbibed. Accidentally swallowing an egg yolk sized black furry thing that was in a milk carton I was 'finishing off'.... that was psychologically more damaging for sure. But tastewise, wormwood, it is unmatched.
Regarding cancer therapies that are little known and effective. Ozone is one that I have seen work. It is well known in many countries, but not the US and Canada. It is safe, powerful, and really just electrified oxygen.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is interesting. I have a friend of a friend diagnosed with terminal cancer - 3 months to live. they want her to do chemo and all that crap - but she wants to try alternatives. I passed on these links to her. Thanks.

Curiously, I am wondering if anyone knows a great way to heal the body of heavy metal toxicity (uranium and arsenic), bipassing the kidneys as a means of evacuation.

cheers,

chutso

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chutso_ha

You should investigate the 'cancer cure' threads around ATS for your friend. I've 'heard' from the cancer.gov site that mistletoe kills cancer and is a leading herb in immunity. Plus, vitamin B17 is said to help/kill as well. Like I said, there's a couple of threads floating around, but should she be able to get some mistletoe where ever she is, that'll do the trick -- a friend in the U.S. had to goto Europe to get treatment and he says 'it's beaten' -- so, seems like worth researching, tryin to obtain... like I've been posting, it's a crime that said herb isn't available as an extract in some countries.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
thank you, i will check into it.

know anything about heavy metal extraction from the body?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Just know that mistletoe is inherently poisonous, and I'm not sure what means it's being administered in. Be careful with something like that.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The cure for Cancer.
www.liveleak.com...

The FDA is dictated by the Pharmaceutical companies. One example of them shutting down the production of this cancer cure.
scienceblogs.com...

www.buydca.com...

[edit on 16-12-2007 by cloakndagger]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chutso_ha

I have sent you a private message.Your friend has a very good chance to survive.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
i know it isn't clinical trial but my dog had cancer and the vet said the options where grim or really expensive (and not that good after I shelled out $8k). The vet told us an alternative may be Artemisinin. The growth of the tumor has reduced significantly and she has been on it for about 15 months. it doesn't seem to have cured her but has greatly reduced the speed of growth leading to a longer life. She doesn't seem to have any side effects, but it is a dog that doesn't complain much.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
DCA is essentially vinegar.

from this link:
Possible Cure For Cancer
www.liveleak.com...

top topics

join