It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple fined for slowing down old iPhones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ohh poor Apple got caught....again

Apple has been fined 25 million euros (£21m, $27m) for deliberately slowing down older iPhone models without making it clear to consumers.

The fine was imposed by France's competition and fraud watchdog DGCCRF, which said consumers were not warned.

In 2017, Apple confirmed that it did slow down some iPhones, but said it only did so to "prolong the life" of the devices.

Apple said in a statement that it had resolved the issue with the watchdog.

Apple fined for slowing down old iPhones

Wasnt this an old conspiracy ? Now confirmed!

Stupid "Apple" got too greedy after Steve Jobs died. Its a shame. Steve Jobs was a hero, but reading this he will roll in his grave... AGAIN. so sad :/

Hurry up and visit Louis Rossman for more info before they take his channel down:
www.youtube.com...

edit on 7/2/2020 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Samsung also deliberately update to slow their phones down to force customers to buy new version of phones. My Samsung used to be fast as hell.

Samsung Fine

Keep your eyes on those Google Phones though. They seem shoddy.
edit on 7-2-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Samsung also deliberately update to slow their phones down to force customers to buy new version of phones. My Samsung used to be fast as hell.

Samsung Fine

They are all swines, but you have to understand the marked. Apple did it first, so Samsung had to follow suit... coz the $$$
Huawei, here i come!

Naah just kidding, funny thing is that my old S4 and S6 still works flawlessly. Apple is for the "smart" people, which knows quality, coz they pay for it, what a #ing illuision!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Samsung Fine

Yep that is why i no longer buy samsung . I have a pixel 3 xl so will see in the next couple years. Have had it for a while now and so far so good.
edit on 24229America/ChicagoFri, 07 Feb 2020 22:24:06 -0600000000p2942 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Its great that they are being held accountable but two+ years later?

and 25 million Euros? That is literally the equivalent of 5-6 hours worth of revenue for them so Im sure they are happy to shell that out, jack the prices to EU consumers and make it up plus interest

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

and 25 million Euros? That is literally the equivalent of 5-6 hours worth of revenue for them so Im sure they are happy to shell that out, jack the prices to EU consumers and make it up plus interest

Exactly its a no brainer fine to take. it makes financial sense to do it and continue to do it.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Double post . Looks like ats is running on an old iphone with the performance lately, lol
edit on 27229America/ChicagoFri, 07 Feb 2020 22:27:10 -0600000000p2942 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Yea its peanuts. But the word is out, they are SWINES! There is no going back.

I loved Apple, during SJ, but after he died, it has become worldwide conspiracy knowledge that they # their customers.
And this is the final nail!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Exactly its a no brainer fine to take. it makes financial sense to do it and continue to do it.

Do you think Iphone users get this on their news feed? ;-)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
27 Million sounds way too low for the crap they pulled

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Apple isn't for the smart people, it's for the trendy people who have to have the newest, coolest, name brand stuff. I've seen it at work. They have their own stupid charging port now so no one can share chargers. The #s cost like $1,000 and really aren't that much better than the previous model but everyone has to have the newest to be cool.

It's not that way with computers because we know better, but the phone market is different. They're.. simples.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
Apple isn't for the smart people, it's for the trendy people who have to have the newest, coolest, name brand stuff. I've seen it at work. They have their own stupid charging port now so no one can share chargers. The #s cost like $1,000 and really aren't that much better than the previous model but everyone has to have the newest to be cool.

It's not that way with computers because we know better, but the phone market is different. They're.. simples.

Look at how many times they "invented" new adapters, the firewire, the micro usb... totally going against the consensus of making things work together with one charger.

The USB was named Universal Serial Bus. But Apple... they had to go extravaganza... so pathetic. You can damn the other brands , but atleast they honored the Universal concept, and never strayed!

How does that fit in a world, where resouces are scarce.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Apple takes I-Phone customers for granted. And they gladly keep purchasing them. Oh well!...

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yes it’s in the Apple News App

apple.news...

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I think that maybe everybody has missed the big takeaway from this.

Apple was sued in the EU, not the US, because the EU has stronger consumer protection laws.

In many US states consumer protection is so bad that Apple could simply have turned off older iPhones and it would have been legal. It would have been terrible PR, but still legal.

Just look at what Microsoft are doing with their Windows phone OS. They're Nerfing it by increments to force people off of the platform. Every couple of weeks it loses a couple of features until you won't even be able to load the apps that you've already paid for.

We're living in the age of "everything as a service" which means that we're more of less just owning a device that connects to an outlet, and the actual functions are on lease hire.

In the old days you could buy a CCTV camera and in 20 years time that CCTV camera would do everything that it could when it was shipped from the factory.

Now you buy a Nest or a Ring, and when your model is considered obsolete by the manufacturer they can simply stop offering the "as a service" part and despite because your hardware is so dependent on it the device will simply stop functioning.

It's the same with video games, they turn the DRM server off and you can't install them again. Or they turn the online server off and the off line game stops too.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 04:02 AM
link   

And they're not idiots.

I'm sure they baked the cost of a potential fine into their equations, did the math and still came out ahead, hence - we are where we are.

Capitalism at it's finest.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

They all are. What am I gonna do go back to android? They are no different than any other industry but they make a good product that is easy to use and we have to have phones

top topics

join