It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we care about what God thinks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Someone recently asked me assuming God exists why should we care about what God thinks?

The way dogma works is people have a set of assumptions they consider to be true without any proof. Based on these assumptions people will speak in such a way their sentences and ideas have meaning and truth within context of their assumptions. If you do not share the same set of assumptions with someone else then statements they make with regards to their dogma will sound insane. Everyone has a dogma whether they admit it or not. Some people refuse to accept this idea of dogma and assumptions by claiming their beliefs are common sense. Language will simply not work without a well-defined context.

So with this in mind I will answer the question. Let me begin with how I define God. Contrary to the simplistic Sunday school way of thinking about God, I prefer to think of God as a word that represents every possible thought and experience we can have or possibly have in reality. God is the alpha and omega of meaning. God represents everything in thought-space and reality at the same time. God is both immanence and transcendence at the same time.

The evidence of God's existence occurs in two places. First, ALL of reality is evidence for the existence of God (immanence). And second, God exists in our use of language, that is, God exists in our written and spoken words (transcendence).

In terms of immanence and transcendence I like this quote:

"Dionysius describes the kataphatic or affirmative way to the divine as the "way of speech": that we can come to some understanding of the Transcendent by attributing all the perfections of the created order to God as its source. In this sense, we can say "God is Love", "God is Beauty", "God is Good". The Apophatic or negative way stresses God's absolute transcendence and unknowability in such a way that we cannot say anything about the divine essence because God is so totally beyond being. The dual concept of the immanence and transcendence of God can help us to understand the simultaneous truth of both "ways" to God: at the same time as God is immanent, God is also transcendent. At the same time as God is knowable, God is also unknowable. God cannot be thought of as one or the other only."

en.wikipedia.org...

Since we have no way to know how all the matter and energy in the Universe came into existence from nothingness, God is often associated as being the first cause of existence. Recently I've heard this idea about how our Universe was created by God. The idea is God is perfect, whole, and complete. Since God is perfect, whole, and complete, God has no unfulfilled needs or desires. Therefore, the Universe was not created out of some need or desire by God. Instead, the Universe was created out of an overflowing abundance from God.

Since the Universe is not God, unlike God, the Universe is incomplete. Unlike God's perfection and wholeness, everything in the Universe is incomplete and full of imperfections. It is these imperfections in nature, our bodies, and our human character which are the source of all that is evil in the World. Because human beings have desires and needs, we inevitably commit acts of evil. God is the only being who is perfect, whole, and complete. God is absolute goodness since God has no desires.

So given our imperfections, our goal in life is to experience slivers of God's perfection, wholeness, and completeness. We are all drawn to experience God's perfection. When we experience greatness in ourselves and others it brings us closer to God. When we experience greatness in beauty and performance, we feel a connection to the perfection, wholeness, and completeness that is God.

So to answer the question why we should care about what God thinks is first of all God does not think. God just exists. God does not have thoughts since God is everything all at once. God's perfection is timeless and without time. It's not a valid question to to care about what God thinks.

What I care about is experiencing greatness in myself and in others. Because when I experience greatness, especially in human character, it makes me feel closer to God. Even if it's only a small sliver of God's total perfection it makes me feel closer to God. This experience gives my life meaning and purpose.

edit on 6-2-2020 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'm not sure about the concept of how God thinks, but it seems like I've had days where I must've pissed Him off!

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I'm not sure about the concept of how God thinks, but it seems like I've had days where I must've pissed Him off!

Years ago one of my favorite teachers told me the way we get treated in life is a direct reflection of the emotions we carry in our facial expression. When God is kicking you around that is the time to have good, happy, loving thoughts not angry thoughts because angry thoughts will only make it worse!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Well since you expressed your viewpoint on how you personally define god I would think everyone would have a different answer shaped by their own definition of god.

Traditionally folks believe that they will answer for their sins when they die and that is why they care what god thinks.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Well since you expressed your viewpoint on how you personally define god I would think everyone would have a different answer shaped by their own definition of god.

Traditionally folks believe that they will answer for their sins when they die and that is why they care what god thinks.

Everyone thinks their own dogma is the one true dogma.

I think when we die we do not answer for our sins. I think when we die we go into the light and experience God's infinite beauty and perfection in a state of eternal bliss. Once this happens time ceases to exist, and our consciousness is returned back to the source from which it came.

What is "traditional" is just matter of perspective. Maybe someday everyone will have faith in an omnipotent God of unconditional love who saves everyone regardless of our earthly sins or how we practiced, or not practiced, our religions.

Having faith in an omnipotent God of unconditional love is good news for some people. For some people, it takes all of God's infinite powers of forgiveness to achieve unconditional love!

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Because he loves us, by true definition

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   
How can imperfection come from perfection? The universe and all that is in was created in perfection from a perfect creator
The imperfection you see now was caused by disobedience. All creation groans for for the new heaven and new earth where there will be no disobedience.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The first problem I had in this is the word "we" in the title.
There is no we in believing in God. You believe or not and I believe or not. No we there.

You are right, in my opinion, when you said God is the Word. Our creator certainly is the Word. Without God, there is no word...

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It’s not that hard.

Things are fractal.
“As above so below”

Why do we care what our fathers think?

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What I find astonishing is that some of the most pious folks I know are so filled with hate for their fellow man and their "words" are the "WORD" of God.

edit on 6-2-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I dont.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Its evident, depending on your own belief structure, that God certainly cares what we think by giving us freewill.

My only conundrum is, if God is ALL knowing, past, present and future, what's the freewill about if God already knows the outcomes?

I personally think that freewill, when granted, is the only thing God doesn't know the outcome of.

I guess if you're looking to love and to be loved, you'd opt for the purest form of it.🤔

I would.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
who's this we you speak of, more and more free thinking people aren't being forced by a corrupt church/mosque/politicians to believe such rubbish anymore, so, not all of us care what the invisible sky fairies think of anyone because they don't exist.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
who's this we you speak of, more and more free thinking people aren't being forced by a corrupt church/mosque/politicians to believe such rubbish anymore, so, not all of us care what the invisible sky fairies think of anyone because they don't exist.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I love how religious people tell us that God is the most powerful thing in existence but he needs them to prove he exists by saying it over and over until people get tired of arguing with them.

"OK! Whatever! Believe what you wanna believe!"

"SEE! We won! God is real!"

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JON666

You contradict yourself by your first sentence. Imperfection can't come from perfection. Especially with a all-knowing God as stated in the Bible.

God wouldd have "perfectly" created us knowing that we will eventually be "disobedient".

An all knowing God implies only an illusion of free will. An all knowing God would create us knowing we will do this or that.

We are trying to define infinity and explain our creation with finite minds. I don't understand how anyone seeing this can defend believing in ancient books as absolute truth..
edit on 7-2-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The old simple answer would be rain an good harvests usually. Much of pagan worship attributed to good weather, health or luck in most views.

Same with Monotheism, it just they didnt have to make personifications to attribute to different thing, and would all just put the blame on one, good or bad.

Or ones ass getting hit with a thunder bolt an old cause an effect an still applies to date.
edit on 7-2-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

So to answer the question why we should care about what God thinks is first of all God does not think. God just exists. God does not have thoughts since God is everything all at once.

If God is everything, then there has to be some intelligence. You're trying to get everyone to believe that intelligence doesn't have any thoughts?! Really?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

You are your parents... Big secret of religion: Dumb people think praying to God isn't meditation, but it is.

new topics

top topics

join