It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Has Become America's First Third World State

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: Riffrafter

California has the highest population in the nation (135,000)

Huh!....40 million more like.

Good catch - it's straight from the article.

Maybe it was referring to the number of homeless people?

I have no idea.

Um of course it was, you have really bad reading comprehension if you did not get that.

Lack of caffeine at the time.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Ask yourself, with what is arguably the USA's best economy ever, why would California be having problems?

The answer is pretty obvious.

The answer is...its CA...

158,000 homeless and the 1,042,027 millionaires that live there can't fix it? Wait... that is like 99% liberal millionaires, my bad.

Yeah it was mentioned a couple times, but the liberal state laws and policies are causing their own problems in their own state.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here's a pretty cool state comparison tool

www.movers.com... pare.aspx

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: game over man
California is a well oiled corporate monopoly, it's a cash cow for investors and ultra rich, don't let the Democrat strong hold tell you otherwise, Trump lowing taxes has only made it worse.

Trumps tax cuts only made it worse for States that had extremely high local and State taxes - like CA - because his tax cuts removed the ability to deduct State/local taxes from your federal.

CA only has themselves to blame for that.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I moved to SF in the 90's. I loved it back then, even if the liberals were just a little crazy. It was more humorous at that time and they had no problem talking to anyone. They were more hippies than anything else.

But not even 20 years later SF was showing significant signs of being a 3rd world country in parts of the city. Homelessness skyrocketed, as did drug use. Gangs and crime were more apparent. Far more illegals. Less jobs. Cost of living went thru the roof. Over crowding. Insane traffic. Political climate full of hatred. Streets became filthy. Garbage everywhere. Poop capital of the US. Can't even walk from BART into the financial district without passing a dozen bums shooting up heroin or passed out in the middle of the day.

I finally escaped the # hole a couple years ago. Other family members have scattered as well to other parts of the country.

Many I went to school with are depressed, full of rage lefties who can't afford housing and have no future. The few who had a good head on their shoulders and respectable jobs have left. Back East. Colorado. Texas. Etc.

SF and CA is no place to raise a family anymore other than maybe the Tahoe area. It's also no place to maximize your earnings either. You pay hand over fist for the cost of living and either put up with an insane commute or you live in SF proper and where your walk to the super market increasingly resembles a lovely walk in Tijuana.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoxerBrawler
Here's a pretty cool state comparison tool

www.movers.com... pare.aspx

You're link is verklempt.

Can you fix it?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

SF and CA is no place to raise a family anymore other than maybe the Tahoe area. It's also no place to maximize your earnings either. You pay hand over fist for the cost of living and either put up with an insane commute or you live in SF proper and where your walk to the super market increasingly resembles a lovely walk in Tijuana.

Agreed 100%.

My daughter - our firstborn - was born in Stanford Hospital in 1993.

It was a beautiful place for her to grow up. And my wife used to put her in the stroller and walk for miles...and hours every day.

When I had to move back east for work in the late 90's we were sad. She was 5 when we moved to CT. But, I'm very glad I no longer live there, and am saddened to see that once beautiful city of San Francisco go to hell.

And I agree - Tahoe is *amazing*!

edit on 2/7/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: Blue Shift

Sane liberals like Dr. Drew Pinsky recognize the issue isn't housing, it's addiction and mental health. These people need treatment and it should be mandatory. Lawbreakers need to be jailed, not given a ticket for thefts of less than $950 in value per day. That would be a good start.

Jails all full. Any other suggestions?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Build more jails?
How about you? You seem happy to bend over and take it. why?

EDIT:
You know , if there were actual serious consequences for these crimes maybe these fools would be more disinclined to commit them therefore negating the need for more jails. If that doesn't work screw 'em, they could take decommissioned container ships and anchor them a couple miles offshore and dump them there for all I care.
edit on 2 7 2020 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2 7 2020 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

(post by richapau removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam
a reply to: Riffrafter

Native here. Lived here my whole life. Been fortunate to live within 30 minutes to the coast the entirety.

It’s still glorious AF. But yeah. It ain’t what it use to be

If it weren’t for my unique position and family, I’d be #135,001... lol that number is super low btw.

I’ve always wondered how do you accurately count the homeless (especially here) when there is no forwarding address to reach them? Like is there a homeless census?
Does some guy with an MP5, biohazard suit, and a clipboard get under every train trestle, drainage pipe, alley & park?

I love my state. I’ve seen it bagged on time and again here on ATS, MSM and, everyone else that isn’t part of the land of Fruits and Nuts. It hurts. But the truth hurts

I’m not sure what the answers are, but it’s no mystery why people are leaving in droves. And it ain’t just cost of living

It’s a damn shame how the dems are ruining California. But even though I’m a lifelong Texan and Trump supporter, I can’t deny California is still one of the most amazing places in the world, and people from all over still dream about living there. You have the best climate I’ve ever experienced. Unbelievable agricultural industry. Your university system is the best anywhere. California is the aerospace capital of the world; no other place comes close. Still the TV and film capital. Silicon Valley is the innovation capital of the world. If you guys could get the dems out of power and stop the massive flow of illegal aliens to your state ... but I just don’t see that happening, and it’s tragic.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Build more jails?
How about you? You seem happy to bend over and take it. why?

Maybe because I still have some compassion for people who have not been quite as fortunate as I have in this little slice of hell we call life. Weird, huh?

You know , if there were actual serious consequences for these crimes maybe these fools would be more disinclined to commit them therefore negating the need for more jails. If that doesn't work screw 'em, they could take decommissioned container ships and anchor them a couple miles offshore and dump them there for all I care.

Uh-huh.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Sorry, ZERO compassion for anyone who steals mine or anybody else's sh#t. They can WORK for it like honest people. That said, I would help you up and get you medical attention after one of the not "quite as fortunate" mugged you for drug money. Or am I prioritizing too much?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Sorry, ZERO compassion for anyone who steals mine or anybody else's sh#t. They can WORK for it like honest people. That said, I would help you up and get you medical attention after one of the not "quite as fortunate" mugged you for drug money. Or am I prioritizing too much?

Somehow I don't think you're really sorry, but rather something or someone in this world has taken a sad toll on you. I hope you find your peace with it before you need someone's help. As we all do eventually.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
Debunked! Street tacos for $1.00, Cali is cheap! You have to be kidding right? Some random restaurant has dinner for two @ $65 and the whole State becomes affordable? LOL

Debunked? really

Its all variable just like anywhere else. Yes that can be had but its location dependent which is a function of labor costs, rent etc. But its still pretty close

Compare say Sundance the Steakhouse in Palo Alto to say Opus Prime Steakhouse in Oklahoma City (For the record I have eaten at both and they are some of the best around) and the Wedge at Opus is like half a basketball and the blue cheese dressing so thick it can hold up a fork!

Sundance NY Strip $58.00
Opus Prime NY Strip $48

Median Home Price OKC: about $150,000
Median Home Price Palo Alto: about $2.8 million

www.sundancethesteakhouse.com...
opusprimesteakhouse.com...

you are making sound like its a massive difference
edit on 2/7/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/7/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   

You need to learn the difference between compassionate and naive. It could save your life.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

You need to learn the difference between compassionate and naive. It could save your life.

Right back at you.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Would it be too cliché to embed this song?

They could be a nation on there own and still smash the 10 most wealthiest nations on earth list.

Plus, they've been successfully selling the positive aspects of American culture though Hollywood to the rest of the world, ever since I've been alive.

IDK... I kind of think California deserves alot more respect than it seems to be getting from Americans as a whole, atm.

It does get respect all around the globe. Don't be fooled, ATS is hardly representative of anything really. 95 % of members here are from rural America. Call it cultural clash. Every tourist wants to visit L. A, not North Carolina
edit on 7-2-2020 by XCrycek because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

No , Sorry NYC Beat them to that Back in 1974 .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join