It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skunk wins by TKO!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Kitty got into it with the little critter last night... needless to say, he regretted that immediately!

Skunk walked away with a big grin im sure... but now I have to deal with the aftermath

Son of a...…..

My cats are usually smart enough to avoid skunks...

*Stares at Alfie* Dumbass....

unfortunately this guy is just a young punk, and im sure he learned his lesson... plus he got his first bath, and of course everyone knows how fun it is to bathe a cat.... So..... after the needless shredding of hands and arms.... and clothing!

I tend to my wounds, and im still left with one problem.... how the hell do I get rid of the smell??

Any tips from you lovely people would be greatly appreciated.... im sure others have had to deal with the stinky critters in the past...

Uhm… HELP!!

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
Tomato juice. Just might want to see if kitty can handle it.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Purpapengus

Tried that... pissed him off royally... lol

Now i look like a serial killer... and im down one shirt

And it didn't work great...

edit on 5-2-2020 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Found this. Maybe this will work. It looks like a common recipe for skunk smell removal

Best Skunk Spray Home Remedy
Mix 2 cups fresh of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, an eighth of a cup of baking soda and a half-teaspoon of liquid dish soap and apply it to your pet right away. The interaction between the ingredients breaks down the stinky chemicals, so it works only right after it's mixed.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

wildlife.unl.edu...

This is what I found on google. It was at more than one website so it might work. That is all I got. Good luck !!

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Poor Alfie....lol

Try this - wildlife.unl.edu...

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Two things work...

But first...the old wives tale of tomato juice is just that, a wives tale. It does NOT work! Trust me, I know! Here's what does work...

1. I would have never thought of this, but a vet told me about it...Massengil feminine douche.
Give them several baths in it. Our ACD got nailed right in the face at point blank range. It was soo horrific I completely lost my sense of smell (seriously). All I could smell was this hint of garlic, so I went to the store at 3:30 AM in the morning smelling to high heaven like a skunk and bought every bottle of Massengil they had. The sales clerk looked at me like I was crazy! My parting shot was..."Oh yeah, and where are your extra heavy duty condoms???" (I saw her visibly wretch!) LOL!

Seriously, the stuff works!

2. Coconut oil - Pets hate it, but after we washed our ACD down with the Massengil a couple times, we then dried him off and coated him with a layer of coconut oil (the stuff that's solid like vegetable shortening). Just gobbed it on him and rubbed it in. He was a greasy mess, but the cocounut oil releases the skunk oils from the skin and hair follicles, then when it wears off, or gets washed off, the stench goes with it.

In my youth I had a dog get sprayed by a skunk. Tried the tomato juice route. That dog smelled like a skunk every time he got wet for the rest of his life. I wish I'd have known about the coconut oil back then. Our ACD got blasted just last May and you can't smell it at all now, even when wet.

You actually have to leave the coconut oil on for a while for it to work. They'll start licking it off or, in the case of our ACD, rolling around in the dirt, and straw and cow poop in the corrals. Then he was a ghastly nightmare, but it's amazing how these animals know to clean themselves! Within a few hours he smelled like he just took a bath! Seriously!
edit on 2/5/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Purpapengus

Tomato juice does NOT work!

Veteran skunk victim here!

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I feel your pain...used tons of stuff and it took around 1 month to vet bearable and 3 months to go. Depends on how it got sprayed.

And yes, I feel lucky I had a dog 'cause it was a lotta baths

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hunters Specialties brand scent free soap.

It's a green liquid soap that's enzyme based. All natural, no poisons or toxins.

It won't completely kill it, but it will help.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   

This used to happen to my idiot black lab all the time in summer. It takes 2 or 3 treatments but the first one makes a huge difference.

Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, Dish Soap that cuts grease like Palmolive or dawn and white vinegar diluted. Mix the first three together, I used the vinegar last after washing him with the other solution. Don’t remember where I saw the recipe but I used to take him in the bathtub or shower so I could rinse him quick.

Use the peroxide/bicarb/soap solution first and scrub, then rinse really well and use the diluted vinegar as a final rinse and dry him up. They hate the smell of vinegar but within an hour he was dry and most of the smell was gone. Just a slight burny skunky smell. Did it again the following day and the smell was gone.

Then he would chase the skunk again.....loved that dog.

There’s also this:

edit on 5-2-2020 by TheAMEDDDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
That’s just wrong, that kitty will never trust them again!! Poor thing thought it was getting gassed!a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Tomater Juice and Vinegar

lol

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

This right here. Worked like a charm when my cat got sprayed by a skunk.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

then bake on 50 for 3 minutes

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Dawn Ultra.
Dawn takes grease out of your way.

Skunk spray is oil based, dawn helps cut the oil.
Most other remedies simply mask the scent, rather than remove it.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

Soap does not remove grease, not heavy grease, and skunk oil is some of the heaviest oil. That's why it smells so bad!

Only grease, removes grease. This is why most industrial hand cleaners are oil based (i.e. things like Go-Jo, etc). Water combined with soap will not remove these oils, only another oil will. Different greases absorb or break down other greases. Soap won't do it.

Want to remove a stain from a shirt? Put oil on it, not soap. Soap comes later to remove the oil, but only oil will remove another oil stain.

When I was in college, I dated a girl who's Mom owned a professional cleaning company. She showed me the most amazing ways to remove stains (and she graduated from college in Chemistry, so she knew her stuff). Different types of stains require different remedies; what you do for ketchup is different than what you do for mustard.

What you do for a skunk...is different than what you do for someone barfing on a carpet.

Just sayin'!

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The reason the Massengil works is because the vinegar neutralizes the smell. It doesn't get rid of it, it just neutralizes it.

The reason the coconut oil works, is because it lifts the odor causing oils and breaks the bonds with the skin and hair roots. Then it binds them with the coconut oil. So, when the coconut oil goes away, so does the smell.

Don't believe me? Here's a test...next time you wrench on your car and get your hands 'black' greasy, put some vegetable oil on your hands and massage it around like you're washing your hands (but without water). THEN, wash your hands with soap and water...they'll be perfectly clean!

Try the same thing with just soap and water and your hands will still be 'black' greasy!

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Steveogold

I would braise. Thats a tough cut.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

edit on 6-2-2020 by ntech because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join