It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I won't shop at Walmart

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
I don't shop there because of how they treat their employees and the poor quality of their stuff. I bought a pair of shoes there once and the sole fell off a couple months later. Every pair of jeans I've gotten there had the pocket rip out of the belt loop break. Walmart sucks.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Walmart workers don't believe in the company they work for, so they very clearly display a dislike for their jobs. The Walmart shopping experience reflects this.

Although I will say, the few people I've seen over the years at the one by us, who put in effort, are friendly and helpful, have all been promoted. It has to be rough to stay positive in that environment.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Walmart workers don't believe in the company they work for, so they very clearly display a dislike for their jobs.

Of course it isn't everyone but I think you hit the nail on the head. That sentiment is true more often than not.
Employee don't want to be there, manager don't want to be there, I don't want to be there. A whole lot of people that don't want to be there, but are, leads to a bad shopping experience.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I've been working at Walmart for a year now, and I have zero complaints about how they treat us. I get cheap health insurance for my family, decent pay, lots of paid time off, and they're paying for my degree in cyber security. Those people at the door are the second lowest paid people in the store, and they absolutely take the most abuse for just trying tio do their job. I've seen 3 of them walk out on their fist day because of abusive customers, and a 60 year old woman get shoved hard enough to knock her down by a grown man. It's ridiculous. Truth is, millions of dollars in merchandise were walking out the door and something had to be done. It's a little to do with theft, and a lot to do with people just forgetting to scan stuff like cases of water, bags of dog food, etc... they're not accusing you of stealing. There's no reason to be rude to those people. You're not being "forced" btw. You can keep walking and they won't stop you.
edit on 5-2-2020 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
I've been working at Walmart for a year now, and I have zero complaints about how they treat us. I get cheap health insurance for my family, decent pay, lots of paid time off, and they're paying for my degree in cyber security. Those people at the door are the second lowest paid people in the store, and they absolutely take the most abuse for just trying tio do their job. I've seen 3 of them walk out on their fist day because of abusive customers, and a 60 year old woman get shoved hard enough to knock her down by a grown man. It's ridiculous. Truth is, millions of dollars in merchandise were walking out the door and something had to be done. It's a little tio do with theft, and a lot tio do with people just forgetting to scan stuff like cases of water, bags of dig food, etc... they're not accusing you of stealing. There's no reason to be rude to those people. You're not being "forced" btw. You can keep walking and they won't stop you.

Thank you for this post. It’s always good to get an ‘inside perspective’ and I do hope your cyber security work for them in the future goes well.

I’ve heard stories of incredible amounts of merchandise being walked out the door and brought back later for cash refund, because their policy at the time was no receipt needed. Not sure if that has changed.🤷🏻‍♀️

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

There's no reason to be rude to those people.

I'm not rude, but I am frustrated at the policy. If they are losing millions of dollars in merchandise then maybe they need to reopen regular checkout lines and save the self checkout for truly one of two quick items.

You're not being "forced" btw. You can keep walking and they won't stop you.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-2-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
they need to reopen regular checkout lines and save the self checkout for truly one of two quick items.

Cashiers are part of the problem. They rarely look at the bottom of the cart to see if someone has a large item under there.

As for your youtube video, they are not allowed to do that. Those people probably got fired.
edit on 5-2-2020 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
Thank you for this post. It’s always good to get an ‘inside perspective’ and I do hope your cyber security work for them in the future goes well.

I’ve heard stories of incredible amounts of merchandise being walked out the door and brought back later for cash refund, because their policy at the time was no receipt needed. Not sure if that has changed.🤷🏻‍♀️

I don't plan on working there with the degree lol. It's a way out of retail for me. But... if they offer me a good job in the field, I'll take it.

Customers are allowed three no receipts returns over a three month period. You only get store credit on a gift card though. No cash.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I just pick up two items and go to self checkout. Greeter person sees me and asks for my receipts.

That must have been truly traumatic for you, I'm so sorry you were made to experience such an inconvenient situation. Life can be so unfair sometimes.

lol...First world problems.

I don’t think you understand the flag in your picture, pretty isn’t it, it does represent something other than pretty though.

Firstly ... I think it's you who doesn't understand what the Eureka flag stands for, if your gonna try to claim it has anything to do with the inconvenience of being asked for proof of purchase at a retail establishment.

Secondly, take a deep breath and try to relax... I was clearly just making light about an obviously annoying but also insignificant issue.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I was clearly just making light about an obviously annoying but also insignificant issue.

You know, we can call it insignificant, but it isn't really. We all have to shop, buy food, buy clothes etc.
Customers service is just about dead. We are seeing our shopping & spending habits shape the world we live in.

As a child I could not even imagine a world where I would use a computer, and the internet, and then order goods that way. Yet here we are. I'd say that is pretty darn significant. I think young people just take it for granted how easy these things are.

Checking receipts. Right now annoying, but either Walmart will change or people will shop a different way. Since they are one of the biggest stores with Amazon, again I'd say that is pretty significant. Remember Amazon started off just selling some used books, now look at them.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Checking receipts. Right now annoying, but either Walmart will change or people will shop a different way.

Won't happen. It's only been in place for like 7 or 8 months, and it's already saved them millions. At least 99% of people don't care about showing their receipts. It takes like 5 seconds for them to scan your receipt and then scan your unbagged items. At first, most of the people who threw a big fit about it purposely didn't scan something at self check. People did it for years! On purpose and by accident. The minuscule amount of customers Walmart lost over the new policy is a minuscule loss of profit vs. how much they're saving by checking receipts at the door. The store I work at does about $400,000 in sales per day. That's A LOT of people. Say 5% of them walk out with $10 in merchandise that wasn't paid for. That's honestly probably a low number, even now. Then spread that out over 4000 stores. It makes total sense for them to try and save some of that money.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Grab yourself a bex and have a lay down sweety , think you are over reacting, go do the dishes or something, was just making light of your hypocrisy

Put that flag on your profile and then conform to a shopping centres request to show a receipt you are not required to because, why?

I guess you are just a conformist happy to follow the party line.
Moan at others who stand up to the authority you fear?

You don’t get to decide what’s insignificant or annoying

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

At least 99% of people don't care about showing their receipts. It takes like 5 seconds for them to scan your receipt and then scan your unbagged items. At first, most of the people who threw a big fit about it purposely didn't scan something at self check.

I don't think that number is accurate. 57% might not complain but my guess is that 80+% are annoyed by it.

Many stores are getting rid of receipts or trying to go to emailed receipts. What will Walmart do at that point?

Walmart is like Sears, they can't see the forest for the trees. They are losing a customer like me, vs. saving $1 for a bag of peanuts someone forgot in their cart. Look at the others on here that said they will just go somewhere else. When they have lost many of their customers they will wonder what happened.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Many stores are getting rid of receipts or trying to go to emailed receipts. What will Walmart do at that point?

Walmart is like Sears, they can't see the forest for the trees. They are losing a customer like me, vs. saving $1 for a bag of peanuts someone forgot in their cart. Look at the others on here that said they will just go somewhere else. When they have lost many of their customers they will wonder what happened.

They already have email, text message, and in-app receipts that take seconds to pull up. The numbers speak for themselves in customer loss vs. asset protection. Sales and profits are higher than they were, company wide, before implementing receipt checking at the door.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Do the majority of Walmart shoppers actually have computers? lol

I know home depot does the whole email receipt, and so does JCP, and I think Macys.

That said, the Walmart near me only checks receipts for large, unbagged items. Me, I don't GAF so I just walk right out and wait for hem to say anything (and for the record I do not steal anything). I also remember the days when WM actually put bright orange stickers on large, unbagged items to easy show they were paid for. I wonder what happened?

Going back to the walking right out, two funny stories: Went to JCP to buy a couple of items of jewelry. Paid, and left. As I went past the merchandise detectors the alarm went off. No one was around, I knew I paid, so I just kept walking. I'm not going to stand around and prove to anyone I did, in fact, pay.

Went to Home Depot. Soon as I walked in, the detector went off. I was like, wtf? Went to look at what I needed to buy, and they were out. So I left. As soon as I walked past the detector, it went off again. Right next to customer service. I didn't stop, just kept walking. Nothing.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Do the majority of Walmart shoppers actually have computers? lol

I know home depot does the whole email receipt, and so does JCP, and I think Macys.

That said, the Walmart near me only checks receipts for large, unbagged items. Me, I don't GAF so I just walk right out and wait for hem to say anything (and for the record I do not steal anything). I also remember the days when WM actually put bright orange stickers on large, unbagged items to easy show they were paid for. I wonder what happened?

Going back to the walking right out, two funny stories: Went to JCP to buy a couple of items of jewelry. Paid, and left. As I went past the merchandise detectors the alarm went off. No one was around, I knew I paid, so I just kept walking. I'm not going to stand around and prove to anyone I did, in fact, pay.

Went to Home Depot. Soon as I walked in, the detector went off. I was like, wtf? Went to look at what I needed to buy, and they were out. So I left. As soon as I walked past the detector, it went off again. Right next to customer service. I didn't stop, just kept walking. Nothing.

Some key fobs, as well as some implanted/wearable medical devices, will set off those things.

That siad, when they ask to see my reciept, I merely say no and walk on. I've had one ask me why, and I replied that I said no, and thats enough of a reason.

My mom worked there at CS desk, and she learned, our small town WM supercenter lost an avg of 1 tv a day. People put on new clothes, leaving the tags on, and walk right out. Employees are told to do nothing. Police are rarely, if ever, called. I've seen this first hand many a time.

My thinking is, they need to have more involvement in the store itself. Putting some retiree in charge of front door security will end up biting them in the rear.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:15 AM
link   
My favorite part about Wallsmart is that employees are always standing in the way.

Not stockers. Just employees on their break, walking 3 wide at snail pace or propped up across the isle like red rover on heroin

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Walmart is straight up dangerous

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I've worked at places similar to Walmart. Krogers is fairly similar. At least the one I've worked at, compared to the people I've known who have worked at various Walmarts.

Customers come in and are automatically grumpy. I remember I stopped asking to help customers solely due to the fact that every time I asked one if they needed any assistance with anything they would immediately attempt to deride me. I quickly stopped interacting with customers and focused solely on making sure the appearance of the store and the aisles I was responsible for were spotless and stocked up.

That contrasted with where I currently work at Home Depot, and it's like a breath of fresh air. I keep my department looking presentable, and I continue to ask every customer if they need any assistamce with anything, because they actually appreciate me being there for them. Even when they decline, and say they're good it's in a polite tone. It's fun, and I enjoy being able to help people find the right tools and hardware for whatever project they are working on.

So, I think it goes hand in hand. People don't like Walmart in general because of the negative connotations it carries as a place of business. They don't want to be there, and only shop there for the convenience. Theft is frequent, because no one really respects Walmart, and in return Walmart makes their shopping experience even more unpleasant, probably just because they can to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if behind all the positive corporate speak the people that make the business decisions probably don't like Walmart that much either.

That in Contrast with a place of business like Home Depot, and it's a positive shopping experience. They only lock products up that can be carried and costS over $150 USD.

You may be surprised to find how many empty packages of nails, staples, screws, Hi-Vis wear, gloves, tools, cabinet accessories, whatever. I've only been working at a Home Depot for about a week now, and I have to deal with people trying to pull a fast one on a daily basis. I've seen people put expensive stuff in cheaper packaging, pocket tools, and all kinds of things, but the only thing that HD requires or permits is to not confront them, and just mention it to a supervisor.

I guess in a place like Walmart customers are already on edge about their shopping experience there and expect to be harassed, and just want to be left alone, and I'm not saying all Walmart employees are incapable people, but every Walmart employee I've had to interact with have been dumber than a box of rocks, look unprofessional, have bad hygiene, and are unreliable. They don't even know their own store layout.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join