It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 2

page: 212
<< 209  210  211    213  214  215 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Just remember, the trick is to find their hard news hours and shuffle by their opinion hours. The opinion hours will host segments on the corona virus, but you will want to hear what they're expecting to talk about so you know if you want to bother with it or not.

FOX programming does tend to lean right in its opinion programming like CNN leans more left. I know, for example, that Tucker Carlson did a segment on the corona virus.

None of them will stay on the subject for long, and as I said, most of it will be what we've already gotten here. You can try CNN too. It's the standard US airport news.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

originally posted by: Oppenheimer67
Interesting stats in a new paper. Seems more non-smokers are effected than smokers or ex-smokers. It's not peer reviewed yet, but looking at basic stats and demographic should be safe enough.

85% of patients were non-smokers. Both non-smokers and smokers seem to go on and and develop (or not) in similar ways. You might expect the opposite to be true, but this shows similarity to Spanish Flu. 'Cytokine Storm' has also been seen in some cases, as spoken about earlier (not this paper), again, similar to Spanish Flu.

www.medrxiv.org...

The paper is talking about lots of stuff, but the data I'm talking about can be found on page 21.

Funny enough I was going to menton about smoking. Maybe the smoke can help kil the virus off and stop it from spreading in the body?

Maybe, but current thinking on smoking, such as with the Spanish Flu, is that smokers lungs were so damaged that their immune response was very weak. So the stronger in society were picked off more than the unhealthy via Cytokine Storm.

Cytokine Storm has been seen with nCoV too, and this evidence of more non-smokers being affected than smokers is interesting. Especially given it is China where you'd expect high numbers of smokers in the data regardless. Cytokine Storm is basically where your immune system goes on overdrive and ends up damaging organs. So the stronger your immune system, the stronger this dangerous condition.

Edit: For other readers here's link to original paper where data suggests 85% of cases are non-smokers. Data on page 21
www.medrxiv.org...
edit on 10-2-2020 by Oppenheimer67 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2020 by Oppenheimer67 because: typo

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: celltypespecific

Its infected 46% of those tested so far.. 160 infected and they have only tested 336 

What the spread rate of infection with the flu compared to corona virus ?

Its alot more infectious than flu...even spanish flu..

Data suggest nCoV more infectious than 1918 flu, but what does that mean?

Based on calculations, the authors of the larger study estimate the novel coronavirus has an R0 of 2.2, meaning each case patient could infect more than 2 other people. If accurate, this makes the 2019 nCoV more infectious than the 1918 influenza pandemic virus, which had an R0 of 1.80 (interquartile range: 1.47 to 2.27).

www.cidrap.umn.edu...

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Mateo96

Good papers being published, many underlying chronic diseases especially those that impact the heart and lungs will make this virus love you, easier bind and reproduce. ACE2 is our body’s counterpoint to ACE.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yea, I see it. And, What looks like certain death for those who are critical and don’t get medical treatment. The countries who treat the sick can’t afford to fight a war or may need to suppress an unruly citizenry. It just seems like by now we should be seeing thousands per day recovered.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Frantic search for people on easyJet flight after passenger is diagnosed with coronavirus

www.wigantoday.net...

A frantic search for people on an easyJet flight was launched after a passenger was diagnosed with coronavirus. Public Health England was this morning in the process of contacting those seated in the vicinity of the customer on flight EZS8481, from Geneva to London Gatwick, on Tuesday, January 28 to "provide guidance in line with procedures", an easyJet spokesman said.

They say that the passengers aren't at any high risk as the carrier was asymptomatic but he sure was touching things on that flight and I'm betting others have it now.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Oppenheimer67

Be careful with the Spanish Flu data, it tore through the American military immediately after WW1 so the data could show a bias with that age group of healthy men.

Some viruses use inflammation to send the host into overdrive, it helps them overcome defenses. Chronic diseases should be more susceptible to going into sepsis. We also have ACE2 all over the body and if this thing gets systemic, more likely in chronic patients, it increases the chances of inflammatory syndromes.

China has crap air, terrible public health, males seem to have a high incidence of chronic disease. It will move and kill differently (numbers wise) in western nations.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Interesting stats in a new paper. Seems more non-smokers are effected than smokers or ex-smokers. It's not peer reviewed yet, but looking at basic stats and demographic should be safe enough.

85% of patients were non-smokers. Both non-smokers and smokers seem to go on and and develop (or not) in similar ways. You might expect the opposite to be true, but this shows similarity to Spanish Flu. 'Cytokine Storm' has also been seen in some cases, as spoken about earlier (not this paper), again, similar to Spanish Flu.

www.medrxiv.org...

The paper is talking about lots of stuff, but the data I'm talking about can be found on page 21.

Funny enough I was going to menton about smoking. Maybe the smoke can help kil the virus off and stop it from spreading in the body?

Maybe, but current thinking on smoking, such as with the Spanish Flu, is that smokers lungs were so damaged that their immune response was very weak. So the stronger in society were picked off more than the unhealthy via Cytokine Storm.

Cytokine Storm has been seen with nCoV too, and this evidence of more non-smokers being affected than non-smokers is interesting. Especially given it is China where you'd expect high numbers of smokers in the data regardless. Cytokine Storm is basically where your immune system goes on overdrive and ends up damaging organs. So the stronger your immune system, the stronger this dangerous condition.

Edit: For other readers here's link to original paper where data suggests 85% of cases are non-smokers. Data on page 21
www.medrxiv.org...

I knew God had a plan for my 40 a day habit.

I thought it was because nicotine kills headlice, but now I know the truth.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AlbatrossMaker

There may actually be that many. I don't think anyone is counting the ones who never get to the hospital. Sure, some of them may have simply died at home, but for many, this may simply have been a mild to moderate disease they could beat on their own the same way most of us beat the regular seasonal sniffles.

Those actually would be added to the recovered total ... if they were being tested and counted, but they won't be because they likely never went to hospital in the first place.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It could be about to get ugly:

Police ‘wearing hazmat suits’ will be able to HANDCUFF suspected coronavirus patients and force them back into quarantine: Tough new laws after a patient tried to 'BREAK OUT' from Arrowe Park and total UK infected DOUBLES to eight

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Police have been given the power to seize people trying to escape coronavirus quarantine and force them back into isolation in handcuffs, the government announced today. A new law was hurriedly brought into force after a patient staying at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral reportedly tried to leave before completing the 14-day stay after his return from China. Government sources said those who returned to the UK on the evacuation flights on January 31 were given a 'very clear choice' and had to sign contracts saying they would remain in isolation for a fortnight. But a source involved with the Arrowe Park incident said: 'We found we didn't have the necessary enforcement powers to make sure they didn't leave'. Police will now be able to force people to remain in the units and, if they leave, to arrest them for committing an offence and take them back to the quarantine facility, MailOnline understands.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: celltypespecific

1.8 v 2.2

Those are not very far apart. Po-tay-toe ... po-tah-toe ...

In the end, they are virtually sitting atop on another on the graph.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

85% of cases are non-smokers!

Either that's just coin-cidence or there is something to it and also could be the reason why Governments wanted 'smoking' banned and people to give up... it's possible.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have a question about the R-0 Number. Apologies if it's a dumb one, but if this has, for example an R0 of 2.2, I get that means the patient can effectively infect 2.2 more people.. now does that mean 2.2 people at any one time, or everytime the patient comes in to contact with new people? The British guy who has now infected 11 people.. these have all been at different points (well aside from the 5 staying in the same chalet as him in france) does this mean they can say it has an R-0 of 11 currently, or a 5 as he infected 5 people at once in the chalet.. its confusing me, and I'm not even sure my question makes any sense?!
edit on 10-2-2020 by BowBells because: A

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAMEDDDoc

Good papers being published, many underlying chronic diseases especially those that impact the heart and lungs will make this virus love you, easier bind and reproduce. ACE2 is our body’s counterpoint to ACE.

Someone is lying somewhere...

1) Non smokers seem to be getting the virus more easily.

2) Those who do smoke or have a possibility to get chronic disease are more susceptible to contracting the virus.

so which is it?

link   
a reply to: BowBells

It's just an average. It means on average, each infected person can be expected to infect at least that many more people. Some will, of course, get way more, and some will get less.

For example, apparently, two of the cases in the US -- Washington and Illinois -- only seem to have managed one new infection between them.

For a sustained spread, diseases will need an R0 around 2 at least.

edit on 10-2-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

In 1979 Iranian extremists kidnapped and held 52 American diplomats hostage for over a year (444 days to be exact). The world heard about this non-stop via the media until they were released. Yet it's "okay" to kidnap and hold hostage 3,700 people on a ship?????

Surprising that the USA or other nations have not repatriated their citizens off that plague ship.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think this thing mutates so fast that the strain is different enough to be caught again and so on so forth. This would make sense how those in China are being effected more. Those outside of China just have one strain and that's why the death rate is minimal. Once you've caught a few different strains you are under more stress and so will have more severe symptoms.

I think if we see the virus gain a foothold in another country, with enough people infected for mutations to occur, we may see a deterioration like China. This would make sense as to why the quarantine is so vigorous in all countries. Also points towards the virus being an engineered biological weapon. The governments know, that's why we're seeing people locked away until the virus ceases shedding.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

a reply to: Power_Semi

85% of cases are non-smokers!

Either that's just coin-cidence or there is something to it and also could be the reason why Governments wanted 'smoking' banned and people to give up... it's possible.

I'm off to buy some cigars.

I'll have one in between each cigarette.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAMEDDDoc

Someone is lying somewhere...

1) Non smokers seem to be getting the virus more easily.

2) Those who do smoke or have a possibility to get chronic disease are more susceptible to contracting the virus.

so which is it?

Maybe smokers are more likely to be infected, but less likely to have severe enough response to warrant assessment or care. Who knows. The point about more ACE2 also doesn't fit.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ok thanks, guess I was taking the numbers too literally

new topics

top topics

<< 209  210  211    213  214  215 >>

join