It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day The Music Died - 61 years ago today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: CriticalStinker

That and some other weird schizz. He's told me some really bizzaro stories about household names.

Doesn't surprise me. The entertainment industry seems to have an environment rich for sleese bags. Considering it glamorizes sex drugs and money, I'd be surprised if some of that wasn't a prerequisite.

As a lowly union man, both IATSE and SAG, it's not all that glamorous. We work hard for the money and the sex and drugs can be found in any industry if you look hard enough. I'm on location now and I can only spot 3 sleeze bags.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Another thing, sometimes the people who can't get signed by a label aren't as good as they think they are.

I'm shocked I say.

Shocked.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

So are they, 'You mean my experimental prog-rock isn't marketable? Why!!!!???'

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

While the internet gave way to more variety, it pretty much killed record sales.

Reminds me of the very first video ever shown on MTV:

"Video killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles.

The internet killed an awful lot of business models.

And the destruction continues with phone apps.

It's a new world.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

That and some other weird schizz. He's told me some really bizzaro stories about household names.

You can't just drop this on the floor and let it lay there stinking like a dead fish.

Do tell!

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Learning The Game

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
You can't just drop this on the floor and let it lay there stinking like a dead fish.

Do tell!

Come to Boston.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Ahhhrg! I just got mandellaed. I was sure it was the Woggles that did that. Hell, I was sitting in front of the TV when MTV first aired. I even remember the video that played multiple times on April 1st, the years it started. (Leave it, by Yes) And I remember the video masterpiece that was:

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

Do tell!

Come to Boston.

I used to go at least once a month. Not so much lately, but I'll let you know the next time I'm coming and we'll hoist a few afta I pahk my cahr, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The thing is they make very little money, a truly pitiful amount, putting their music on Spotify, iHeartRadio and iTunes. They really need to tour and tour constantly for income but the tradeoff is without marketing they are constantly playing smaller venues. Sure, they have the artistic freedom to make anything they want but it comes with a tradeoff.

This is leaving out the actual recording process and whether or not you can afford an actual studio with engineers. The labels will arrange this but the freelance bands are using home studios and off the shelf mixing equipment and need to then become proficient in something that isn't actually writing new material.

I used to think this, but I looked up the net worth of some of these lesser/obscure artists and a huge number of them are worth millions. Theres an obscure female rapper from Canada a friend of mine turned me on to, NONE of her you tube videos have more than 300,000 views (low number to try a profit off youtube) but her net worth is 49 million! Maybe shes way bigger in Canada.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

We're doing an ATS meetup the last week of April, check the thread for details.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: coop039

You aren't going to get rich from streaming services, they pay a fraction of a penny per stream. Apple Music is at $0.00783 per stream and they are traditionally the highest.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Im sure. I just wonder how some of these small artists are making so much.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: coop039

No obscure artist is making $49,000,000 from music.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I saw a great documentary called Before The Music Dies discussing what is different with today's music compared to that of the past, and it is indeed interesting and revealing. Basically today's( this century) music has been pushed by an industry that primarily markets youth and beauty. How much life experience can a teenager have to create deep and meaningful songs. How many artists don't play their own instruments? One moment I remember in the doc is an interviewer asking people after a show if they were inspired to do anything after watching the artists , and the people had a puzzled look and said no.

I realize there is still talent out there, but I blame the music industry for spoon feeding the masses what they think will sell and what is cheap and easy to produce. I wish Jimmy Iovine was still out there finding new artists.

Full Movie

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: coop039

No obscure artist is making $49,000,000 from music.

Look up Nova Rockafeller.
celebstrendingnow.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: coop039

I did:

Nova Rockafeller Net Worth
Nova primary income source is Pop Singer. Currently We don’t have enough information about his family, relationships,childhood etc. We will update soon.
Estimated Net Worth in 2019: $100K-$1M (Approx.) Source

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

How much life experience can a teenager have to create deep and meaningful songs

There are exceptions. Who would have though a 17 year old Robin Gibb could have written this:-

This song was covered by Eric Burdon, Nina Simone, Janis Joplin. Roberta Flack, Hank Williams Jnr, Michael Bolton to name but a few.

Brilliant song by a fantastic young song writer.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Sniff ... and I was always convinced, if you take off his glasses he turns into Superman.

Well wherever you are Buddy, I'm sure the music's good.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   

We're doing an ATS meetup the last week of April, check the thread for details.

Great!

Will do. What forum is the thread in?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join