It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day The Music Died - 61 years ago today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
On this date 61 years ago, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper were all killed in a small plane crash in Iowa.

I always play this song on this date in remembrance.

Buddy Holly was a genius...truly. Way ahead of his time.

edit on 2/3/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I'll agree mainstream music has essentially died...

But with the internet, bands can distribute without going to a record lable. There is a vast wealth of different stuff we have access to now that we never did before. And that alone has made some artists more brave and daring since they don't have to have mass appeal to sign to a label.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Yes, Buddy Holly was way ahead of his time. A true rock&roll pioneer.

In this take of his hit Peggy Sue, he plays a type of style that had not been done before. He's just bashing out a three chord progression on his 54 Stratocaster,
but it sounds awesome. Fast, loud and very aggressive. The tone is beautiful...clean and a bit twangy, but not thin at all. His guitar attack is at about the 1:20 mark.
youtu.be...

edit on 3-2-2020 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

In my opinion it wasn't " The Day The Music Died "

We where on the threshold of new and exciting music adventures which the 60's saw a huge explosion of.

I could list the bands that where about to be established, but we all know who they are/where.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
But with the internet, bands can distribute without going to a record lable. There is a vast wealth of different stuff we have access to now that we never did before. And that alone has made some artists more brave and daring since they don't have to have mass appeal to sign to a label.

The trade off is potentially playing in obscurity for your entire career as you don't have the marketing resources that the labels have.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I wear almost the same glasses...when I drive.

Prescription Ray-Ban Wayfarers in the sun though.

Always.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Yes, Buddy Holly was way ahead of his time. A true rock&roll pioneer.

In this take of his hit Peggy Sue, he plays a type of style that had not been done before. He's just bashing out a three chord progression on his 54 Stratocaster,
but it sounds awesome. Fast, loud and very aggressive. The tone is beautiful...clean and a bit twangy, but not thin at all. His guitar attack is at about the 1:20 mark.
youtu.be...

Thanks for the link.

I'll post it here in all of it's YouTube glory...lol

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The trade off is potentially playing in obscurity for your entire career as you don't have the marketing resources that the labels have.

Absolutely.

But some would rather stay true to their craft and roots than compromise for popularity.

I think that's always been the case, there were still bands back in the day who would do their own circuit without a label. But at least now they have a chance to reach out further than live performances.

I see it just like some chefs who would rather keep a joint in the middle of nowhere, offering in their opinion the real deal rather than sell out and go open a place in Vegas.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I guess it all depends if you like eating packaged ramen or you want to have some success. There's compromise in every working relationship and many people in the recording industry actually do know what they're talking about.

Another thing, sometimes the people who can't get signed by a label aren't as good as they think they are.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thats fair.

I think the crux of what I'm saying is the music landscape has just changed... But it's not dead.

If someone used mainstream a few decades vs now... I'd have to say I liked then better. But at least now there is a huge amount of variety. I'm not sure how successful some of the more low key bands are that use small indie labels, but I'd have to think they have more of a chance to make a living if they can get a decent fan base world wide. I imagine that's obtainable now with how easy it is to access music online and find places to discover them.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

When I met my wife, we used to drive my ol Chevy Silverado around the lower acres of the farm and listen to this album on casette.

As a child growing up in the 60s and 70s...this was what I grew up with. Lots of memories...

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The thing is they make very little money, a truly pitiful amount, putting their music on Spotify, iHeartRadio and iTunes. They really need to tour and tour constantly for income but the tradeoff is without marketing they are constantly playing smaller venues. Sure, they have the artistic freedom to make anything they want but it comes with a tradeoff.

This is leaving out the actual recording process and whether or not you can afford an actual studio with engineers. The labels will arrange this but the freelance bands are using home studios and off the shelf mixing equipment and need to then become proficient in something that isn't actually writing new material.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I think the two ways to go are mainstream, and make money off of royalties from radio playing it...

Or doing tours.

While the internet gave way to more variety, it pretty much killed record sales.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That's pretty much it, you can bounce around in semi-obscurity until you get 'discovered' and then you have to make a choice.

My good friend has been in the recording/talent management industry his entire life and has told me a good deal of what goes on behind the scenes. Some if it funny, some of it sad, some if it appalling but all of it is business.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

some if it appalling but all of it is business.

Ahhhh. The old couch interviews there too?

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

That and some other weird schizz. He's told me some really bizzaro stories about household names.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

That and some other weird schizz. He's told me some really bizzaro stories about household names.

Doesn't surprise me. The entertainment industry seems to have an environment rich for sleese bags. Considering it glamorizes sex drugs and money, I'd be surprised if some of that wasn't a prerequisite.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

If you make it to Boston I'll tell you a few.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

If you make it to Boston I'll tell you a few.

Hell yea!

My work just expanded and tripped in size... I'm ops manager and office manager now, I should be good to go seeing as it's a weekend and a few months out. But I'm a big fan of under promising and over delivering. I definitely want to be there and amtrak should make it a breeze.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
My parents were old, didn't have me til there mid 40's, so I always grew up listening to a lot of music from the 50's and 60's and a lot of Buddy Holly. To this day I love that era so much and it feels nostalgic even though I never lived it.

Such talent and so young!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join