It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Immolates Himself in Toronto

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A man apparently set himself on fire following a stand-off with police in Toronto. His act coincided with a protest, but the protesters say the man was unconnected to their event. The man was driving a van, and throwing envelopes out the window until police approached. He threatened to set himself on fire and told them to back away; apparently driving home the threat by dousing himself in gasoline and brandishing a lighter.

It is unknown at this time what the man was trying to accomplish.

www.cbc.ca
TORONTO - A man doused himself with gasoline and set himself on fire during a standoff with police outside the Ontario legislature, overshadowing a nearby protest by hundreds of farmers.

Firefighters cluster around a man who set himself on fire outside Ontario's legislature in Toronto Wednesday.

The man, who apparently wasn't connected to the rally, parked a white rental van near the demonstration area at about 1 p.m. local time and began acting erratically.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not the first time someone set themselves on fire in protest. We all remember the Buddhist monk protesting Vietnam, and that guy who lit up in protest of nuclear power in NY in the eighties.

The man is alive, and presumably his motive will be uncovered through interviews and examination of the printed material he was distributing.

More on this story as it become available.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
While setting yourself on fire is not a regular event in Canada, it certainly gets a point across. My guess would be an immigrant. We just don't do that. The funny thing is, we still don't know what the point is.

Maybe News at 11 will get something.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Yeah it was odd to say the least... I watched it and omg I thought he was dead but then they got him out and stamped the flames out with some fire blankets. I wonder wtf he was thinking....

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well we have a littler bit of everything, the ones that will blow themselves up for their cause and the ones that will burn themselves just to make a point.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
You know, there are SO many other easier ways to go....
Man, some people just lose it I guess....

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I wonder what was in the envelopes he tossed out of his van before taking off and setting himself on fire. They may have clues that lead to the reason.

Phae

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phaethor
I wonder what was in the envelopes he tossed out of his van before taking off and setting himself on fire. They may have clues that lead to the reason.

Phae

True. Very odd that no one reported on the envelope contents. Hmmm. If I was ever to go to such lengths, it would be for an amazingly good reason and I'd make totally sure the press knew exactly what to cover...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The man can thank the weather for his survival. He was wearing a heavy winter jacket to ward off the infamous Canadian cold, and it saved his life. The flames weren't close enough to him to severely damage his internal organs or cause massive tissue loss.

It appears he will be in recovery for a little while, but should be up and answering questions in no time.

The letters, or envelopes, he was throwing out the window will certainly shed some light on his motives.

It makes one wonder doesn't it? What sort of problem could be perceived as so severe that it would necessitate self immolation? Bizarre, to be sure.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Just a guess, but if the guy set himself on fire wouldn't the most logical reason be that he is schizophrenic? or has some other metal disorder.

If he is indeed sane (im not sure someone who does that can be sane) then, possibly he spotted the police and began to get rid of the evidence (envelopes) and was so scared he could only find one way out.

Vorta

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I think it's a mistake to rush to call people insane. The stigma is a common one these days, and I don't like the direction we're headed in that respect one bit. There may come a day, sometime soon, when the difference between sanity and insanity is no longer relative, but court mandated and state approved.

I don't think the envelopes contained 'evidence' of his crime, or supposed crimes. I think they were probably either sucicide notes, ransom notes, or some form of protest literature. Despite the fact that the man was apparently not connected with the protest going one, who's to say he didn't show up on his own and without the knowledge of the protest organizers?

Obviously it takes a very compelling reason for someone to light themselves on fire. I for one am anxious to know what that reason was.

A side note, nobody called the monk insane when he immolated himself (stoically I might add, without all the flailing and screaming of this guy). They called him principled. :LOL: How times change huh? Of course, the guy might not have meant to do it. The report I linked to claims that he was in the process of trying to evade the police, when his car was rammed by a police cruiser. At that point he apparently dropped the lighter (intentionally?) and caught fire.

On a side note, what impressed me most about the monk who protested in similar fashion, the calm, even serene manner in which he went about it. Being lit on fire hurts enormously, I know from experience. To be able to do that to oneself and then sit through it, stone faced, unmoving, until the last breath leaves the chest and the body collapses..that takes ENORMOUS willpower. (Or an industrial grade sedative)

This guy in Toronto reminded me more of the yahoo featured on faces of death, who lit himself on fire and was unprepared for the results. As soon as he felt the flames, he started running around and bumping into things, screaming in pain. I suppose that's the difference between a monk and a yahoo! :LOL:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
There have been several of these cases just since I joined this board and all have been covered here. I even posted one myself.

I know from experience that burning is not a bad way to die, if you die quickly. Surviving the fire is a living hell, even if you eventually die, and especially if you survive.

I couldn't find the one about the woman in Germany who set herself on fire because she didn't get a permit to open a flower shop or some such.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Compared to what some Buddhist monks subject themselves to, like slowly embalming themselves by eating tree bark, burning to death is probably a walk in the park, but for the rest of us, setting yourself on fire is not a sign of clear thinking.

Mummification has always been quite rare in Japan. The few examples of the custom that do exist are mostly Buddhist priests who underwent self-mummification by gradually reducing their intake of food and water. Although after death these mummies were subjected to various drying procedures, their internal organs were not usually removed and they did not undergo the elaborate embalming techniques found in other parts of the world. The Fujiwara mummies are unusual in that they are the only example from Japan of the mummification of political rather than religious figures.

artworld.uea.ac.uk...

[edit on 05/3/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

but for the rest of us, setting yourself on fire is not a sign of clear thinking.

ROFLMAO.

Grady, you made me laugh. Thank you. Needed that.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Does anyone have a light? Anyone who can do this to themselves to drive home a point is truely in need of some Pro. care. It's sad that he did this yet, maybe he thought all of his options had been exausted.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Here's an update on this,
I wonder why he did it. He said he didn't want to kill himself, yet he doused himself in gasoline and set himself on fire. Doesn't make sense.

As the firefighters stood by and police tried to calm the distraught man in the white van, the men from fire stations 314 and 325 kept thinking of the same thing: Oklahoma City.

The van had pushed past a police cordon placed around the provincial Legislature for a protest by farmers. The firefighters couldn't see into the vehicle, but they could do the math: rented truck, anti-government rally, the smell of gasoline.

The answer: the 1995 attack on a U.S. government building with an 1,800-kilogram fuel-and-fertilizer bomb, carried in a rented truck, that killed 168 people.

"With the man in the van near the farmers' protest, the thing I thought about was, `What if he's an angry farmer and he's got fertilizer in there? We could have the Oklahoma City thing all over again,'" said Bryan Ratushniak, acting captain of Toronto fire station 314. "The adrenaline was going bang, bang, bang."

The man in the van was Anh Ngoc Vuong, the Star has learned. It's not known what drove Vuong to set himself ablaze yesterday after a half-hour standoff. He was in serious condition at Sunnybrook hospital last night being treated for severe burns.

The Mississauga man rented the van yesterday morning from a Budget Rent A Car location near Pearson airport. At about 1 p.m., as a rally by Ontario farmers was getting underway at the Legislature, Vuong drove through a police line on Queen's Park Cres., just north of Wellesley St. W.

"I don't want to kill myself at all," Vuong yelled out the window as police vehicles moved in to block the van. "I don't want to harm nobody."

Toronto Star

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Just heard on Global news the man is in critical condition. Apparently he has head trauma received when the police used a metal bar to break his window to put the fire out and to save the mans life. This is just gruesome. And off course now the protest by the farmers has been overshadowed. Hopefully we find out his reason and he recovers.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie

And off course now the protest by the farmers has been overshadowed.

Yes - too bad.

Hopefully we find out his reason and he recovers.

I hope so too - and I'd really like to know what was in those manila envelopes he threw out of the van, and why the subject hasn't been addressed in the media.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

After a police cruiser sideswiped the van and another hit it head-on, the man's clothing burst into flames.

"Soon as the cruiser in the front of the van hit him, he set himself on fire, which I couldn't believe what I was seeing," said Michael Snary, a witness.

There ya go. Accidental- caused by police brutality

The police were slamming the poor guy and he spilled a canister or container of gas.

Good lawsuit against the police..

Everyone knows how Canadians over react, eh?

Noticing his name, is he a political refuge?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
JoeDoaks that is not how it happened. I watched it live. He ignited himself with a pair of lighters. After that the police smashed the window and put him out. It all happened AFTER they forcibly stopped him. I don't know where you got that quote from but it is BS.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Sardion
He got the quote from me, and I took it (paraphrased) from the article I linked to that started this thread. You actually witnessed it? That's pretty wacky.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Sardion
He got the quote from me, and I took it (paraphrased) from the article I linked to that started this thread. You actually witnessed it? That's pretty wacky.

Yeah tell me about it. I'm just glad the cops boxed him in(quite forcibly I might add) before he could do anything even more dangerous and stupid. They were pleading with him for a few minutes then BOOM the inside of the cab turned into an Inferno I thought he was dead! The firefighters smashed the windows dragged him out then started stamping out the fire with fireblankets. It was on CP24, they were already camera's there covering the Farmer's protest and then THIS happens.

Cudos to the Police and Firefighters! No one got hurt that badly, and considering how many people are around Queens Park at that time of the day it's a Miracle no one else got hurt or killed.

<<   2 >>

join