It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How was the collapse of the Union weathered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Russia appears to be doing fine these days - it would appear so anyway.

However, following the collapse of the Union, how did Mother Russia weather the storm and come out walking to become the Russian Federation we know today?

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: IndigoLLC

their government and economy is base on criminal enterprise.

a number of commentators have dubbed Russia a “mafia state”. It is certainly a catchy epithet, but what does it actually mean? To the Spanish prosecutor José Grinda González – a particular scourge of Russian gangs in his country – it means that the Kremlin (or at least the state security apparatus), rather than being under the control of the criminals, is a shadowy puppeteer making the gangs dance on its strings. The truth is more complex. The Kremlin does not control organised crime in Russia, nor is it controlled by it. Rather, organised crime prospers under Putin, because it can go with the grain of his system.

There is a very high level of corruption in Russia, which provides a conducive environment for organised crime. It is not just professional criminals who are exploiting the opportunities provided by Russia’s cannibalistic capitalism – state agents, too, are exploiting their own criminal opportunities in an increasingly organised way. In 2016, the police raided the apartment of Col Dmitry Zakharchenko, the acting head of a department within the police force’s anti-corruption division. There they found $123m (£87m) in cash: so much money that the investigators had to pause the search while they found a container large enough to hold it all. The assumption is that the money was not all his, but rather that he was the holder of the common fund of a gang of oboroten, or “werewolves”, as organised crime groups within police ranks are often known.
Gangster’s paradise: how organised crime took over Russia

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndigoLLC

Yes, Russia is a kleptocracy. Putin's mates are fantastically rich. During Putin's career he has received a modest salary, but is apparently worth $70 to $200 billion, so work that one out!

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It didn’t do so well.

Putin had to put the boot in and correct 10 years of disastrous misrule by Yeltsin.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

The half century plus of misrule by the Communist govt. had nothing to do with it??

Some would beg to differ.

Vlad the Great (in his own mind, at least...) is as crooked as they come. Modest salary has been turned, by magic, into many billions of dollars??

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Russia is doing fine along side with St petersburg, ive been to Moscow twice, once with my friends and once with my family, I found out that it was the cleanest city ever compared to whole Europe, however as I was told by a bar tender of the hotels lounge, once you cross the borders of Moscow you are not safe, so theres that

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

However, following the collapse of the Union, how did Mother Russia weather the storm and come out walking to become the Russian Federation we know today?

Large oil and gas reserves, plus military exports. Russia makes billions selling small arms and military vehicles.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Are you asking about since their parliament all resigned to make way for a new constitution thingy or going back to East Berlin?
I'm also interested in that query, but my laptop just seems to hate me right now, else I could easily read/post a link...
wait a minute let me try something;
copy link address

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Paint on rust.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Under communism The Soviet Union reached heights of power and influence the Russian Empire of yore could only dream of.

Yeltsin’s failed policies crippled Russia’s post-communist recovery and set them back at least a decade. The communist system wouldn’t have lasted pf course, but Yeltsin made it infinitely worse.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

All while citizens stood in bread lines for their weekly allotment, all the while watching their leaders drive by in Zil limos to the Kremlin.

...and the whole kit and kaboodle collapsed in on itself when placed under pressure by the other superpower and its allies, not to mention pressures from within.

Forgive me if I'm not terribly impressed.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

That's about as accurate, and short, a statement of it as I've ever seen.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Large oil and gas reserves, plus military exports. Russia makes billions selling small arms and military vehicles.

And a boatload if industrial diamonds for abrasives and such.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

their government and economy is base on criminal enterprise.

Did they use 'Murica as a model?

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

aw how cute, another Murica basher. can't you come up with something better that old tired half azz Murica insult. it's was sad years ago and even sadder now.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Where is this 'murica y'all are on about?? Can't find on any map...

[/sarc]

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

you could say that about a lot of politicians all over the world

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Steveogold

Won't argue that point at all. Nope, I surely won't.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

If he had been an American politician?
edit on 2-2-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

top topics

join