It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shot by police after stabbings in London

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Ironclad1964

Highly trained armed police officers were trailing him.....how on earth could some random civilian unaware of his history and possible intentions have been able to react quicker?

For the umpteenth time; the UK is NOT the USA.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that the sudden introduction of UK style gun control laws in the USA would be a good idea, it would be disastrous.....but this is one of the most glaring differences with our respective societies and comparing the two is pointless and achieves nothing constructive whatsoever.

You're missing the point.

Some people use every tragedy to push an anti-gun agenda (irregardless of location), and yet get all triggered when someone else has a counter argument.

I never made the original gun control statement or counter statement in this thread, I just emphasized that there were two sides to every coin.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad1964

Fair point.

Of course there are two sides, at least, to every argument and it is always wise to at least consider opposing opinions.

I think many pro-gun supporters fail to understand the major differences between our two societies and they feel impelled to imply that our lack of desire for something akin to The Second Amendment is both some sort of sign of cowardice and the result of being some sort of downtrodden, subjugated people lacking in any sort of freedom.
Both assumptions are as far from the truth as possibly can be.

Alternatively many UK and European people also fail to recognise the differences in our cultures and the fact that gun ownership is so engrained in the American psyche that anything resembling UK like gun control laws is simply inconceivable.
And there seems to be a certain reluctance to accept that prohibition of anything that is so widespread and engrained that it would be doomed to failure from the outset. The shear numbers of guns in circulation is beyond most of our comprehensions.

That doesn't mean to say that current legislation both sides of the pond should be set in stone and can't be improved upon.

Gun control is an emotive subject for many, especially at times like this.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
a reply to: ScepticScot

Nobody is blaming all Muslims (like people blame ‘all right wingers).

But Islam espouses hate and intolerance. That’s a fact. It promotes rape, pedophilia, mysogony, homophobia and murder.

That’s a fact. And no, no other religion is even close to being comparable.

Islam is bad for humanity. Like nazism. And should not be tolerated.

Just my opinion

People on this thread are blaming all Muslims.

The bible is full of all those things as well. Unsurprisingly as Islam and Christianty areclose cousins.

But, in the last decade have we soon such a dramatic uptick in Christian terrorism? And remember, all this started with 4 planes, 2 towers, the Pentagon, a field in Pennsylvania, and over 3,000 dead.

It didn't start in 2001. Not even close.

No, you're right. The religion of peace has been at war with itself and others for centuries.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
DP
edit on 3-2-2020 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

The kicker is that the majority of organized religion that causes the issues are all Abrahamic by nature.

Same crap slightly, different wrapping paper.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123

And if the terrorist had 'firearms' there would no doubt be quite a few more casualties and probably fatalities.

This has nothing to do with your Second Amendment Rights....stop trying to make it so.

Did firearms not save the day? What does this have to do with fifth amendment? There is no fifth amendment there.

Firearms did in fact save the day, that's all they said. Dont put words in someone's mouth and assume stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Read the rest of the thread.

And who said anything about The Fifth Amendment?

Mentioning it once....a mistake?
Twice....wow!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Read the rest of the thread.

And who said anything about The Fifth Amendment?

Mentioning it once....a mistake?
Twice....wow!

Well it wouldnt have anything more to do with the SECOND amendment than it would the FIFTH right? LMAO that was the whole point, guess it went over your head.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Clearly comprehension skills are not your strongest suit: Some people were saying that if we had more guns over here, something like your Second Amendment, things would be different. As often happens some people we trying to turn it in to a gun control issue.
Its all about context....something you appear to struggle with.

Anyway, nice attempt at deflecting away your mistake.

Read all my posts and I'm sure you'll get a much broader picture.
Not sure you'll agree with me but you should certainly get a clearer perspective.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Deleted because.
edit on 4-2-2020 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I'll gracefully ignore your childish insults....

You said:

Some people were saying that if we had more guns over here, something like your Second Amendment, things would be different.

The thing is, up to the post of yours (you know, the one I responded to) there was no mention of this.

Unless you retracted your statement you made in the post I responded to then there is no reason I even need to look at your other posts.

The other poster still remains correct when he said "guns saved the day". That is a fact, guns did save the day. The perpetrator had a big knife, the police came with GUNS and shot up the dude. They didnt use Billy clubs...

As far as my opinion on the gun control laws or possession rights in Europe, I say if it works for the people and they are happy with it then great. I'll stay out of your affairs in that matter just as I expect y'all to stay out of ours.

Have a good day!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ha ha, stop being so hyper sensitive.

You obviously have no desire to understand another's perspective.
That's your choice, it doesn't bother me either way one little iota.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: alldaylong

They haven't been doing this on mainland Britain and are very small, nor have they been bombing stabbing and macheting mainland Britain for the last 20yrs

Also like to add that they called in before they detonated bombs, so people were usually warned. We lived above a shopping centre [Wood Green], when two bombs went off in the early 90s. Our lampshades swayed and we weren't allowed out the whole day as the road was cordoned off. Later on I developed shell shock even though I wasn't actually scared, only for a few minutes when it happened because I thought it would cave in. Point is, nobody died as they were forewarned and all shops were empty.
Muslim terrorists just walk around with machetes in their hands, shouting and trying to chop people's heads off unexpected.
Terrorism sucks and none are 'better' but I'm rather forewarned because someone tries to make a point, than murdered randomly, because of the hate for our culture and existence.
One is highly annoying, the other is just outright war and cowardly murder.

Nothing personal but you haven't got a clue. The IRA and other sectarian terrorist organisations murdered thousands. They didn't always call in warnings. They would carry out kidnappings, torture, summary executions, extortion rackets, drug rings and prostitution.

I grew up in NI during the worst of the Troubles and had friends and colleagues killed. Like my friend Iain who was had at least 12 AK rounds emptied into him in front of his 3 year old son while picking his wife up from work. The boy was found in the car covered in his dads blood, just repeating "Daddy told me to get down".

Or another who was shot dead in front of his 7 year old daughter. The gunman dressed as a posty, and asked the girl to get her dad to sign for a package. The imposter gunned him down in front if her. She grew up believing that it was her fault.

How about the Shankill bomb in 1993, which killed 9 and injured 57 people in a busy shopping street in Belfast? A friend's mother was killed in this and I was about 100m away when the bomb detonated.

Or the Omagh bomb in 1998 that killed 29 plus 2 unborn children, and injured around 300? The bombers called in a fake warning on that one and set the real bomb in the point they knew those being evacuated would be, maximising the number of casualties.

What about Warrington, Bishopsgate, The Baltic Exchange in London etc? These all resulted in civilians being killed or maimed.

Sorry you developed 'shell shock' from your shaky lampshades, but don't think for a minute that the Terrorist groups in NI were anything but murdering scum.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PaddyInf

I really wish I could do something more than give you what is at the end of the day a meaningless star.

I know people, from all sides, who were touched directly by The Troubles and the actions of the scumbags involved.

For a large part the paramilitaries were nothing but shysters and gangsters more concerned with the power and profit they generated through extortion rackets, gun running, illegal bookies, prostitution, drug running and dealing and all the other activities generally associated with organised crime.
Many people would be quite surprised at the level of collaboration between the two sides when it came to drugs and guns.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It seems to have become fashionable these days to paint terrorists in NI as romantic figures who took every effort to avoid killing innocent people. You get movies like The Jackal or The Devils Own portraying a noble freedom fighter, rising up against the boot of the evil imperialist regime. You don't see the bodies of the shoppers or the kids crying over their dads bodies. You don't see Brad Pitt negotiating drug dealing boundaries with the Unionists between organising human trafficking shipments, or Richard Gere drilling out a possible tout's kneecaps.

Sometimes a reminder of the level of brutality and simple criminality they inflicted is needed.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: PaddyInf

But what chance have we got when a man who used to actively support the I.R.A. and everything they stood/stand for and who openly refused to condemn them whilst standing side by side with their representatives stands for election as leader of one of the two main political parties in the UK?

As you say the actual realities surrounding their activities is probably far worse than organisations like The Mafia.

The paramilitaries, on both sides, play on the natural romantic nature of the Irish people and manipulate and exploit them whilst using fear and brutality as a means of enforcing and furthering their aims of profit and power.

As you allude to, we need a heavy dose of realism to inform people of the brutal realities of The Troubles.....unfortunately Holywood and the domestic 'entertainment' business is riddled with the PC luvvies who buy into this romantic, biased and inaccurate nonsense.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

As you allude to, we need a heavy dose of realism to inform people of the brutal realities of The Troubles.....unfortunately Holywood and the domestic 'entertainment' business is riddled with the PC luvvies who buy into this romantic, biased and inaccurate nonsense.

Funny isn't it how over time the *Terrorist* becomes the romantic *Freedom Fighter*?

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

To be fair, its usually those who are infected with the PC Virus who resort to that.
Somehow it makes them think that killing innocent people and torturing and exploiting those in their own communities is acceptable and dare I say it even noble and glamorous.

Pure scum in my mind regardless of whatever cause they allege to support.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join