It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found a 330-million-year-old shark's head fossilized in a Kentucky cave

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

You can see the part of the shark's jaw where it would have attached to the skull and the end that would have been its chin, Hodnett said. Some of the middle of the jaw isn't visible, but he estimated that it would have been about 2 1/2 feet long.

By studying its teeth, Hodnett was able to determine that the fossil was part of a species called Saivodus striatus that was about the size of a modern great white shark -- about 16 to 20 feet long.

He said they don't know how much of the shark is still entombed in the rock.

Scientists have found a 330-million-year-old shark's head fossilized in a Kentucky cave

Scientists have found and identified 15 to 20 different species of sharks from about 150 unique shark fossils found in hard to reach areas of the cave.

The sharks lived in the Late Mississippian time period. At that time much of North America was covered by the sea.

Hodnett said that "There's hardly ever any any record at all of sharks teeth coming from these rocks" and "this is a brand new record of sharks from a particular layer of time."

Two Mammoth Cave scientists by the name of Rick Olson and Rick Toomey came upon shark fossils in the cave. They sent images to Hodnett who is an expert on Paleozoic sharks.

The fossils were found in a part of the cave that people need special permission to visit and they are not identifying the exact location. At some point, the park claims it will post all of the images of the fossils online.

The project is just getting started and it looks like they have found some interesting things already. "It's amazing how quickly we've already found some interesting stuff"

Kentucky's Mammoth Cave has a diverse and interesting history.

WIKI

I can't really make out what they are calling the head or jaw of the shark. But these do look like shark's teeth to me.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

SnF for the cool info. Wish I were astute enough to bring conversation
but I'll be following.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The Mississippian was a period of marine transgression in the Northern Hemisphere: the sea level was so high that only the Fennoscandian Shield and the Laurentian Shield were dry land. The cratons were surrounded by extensive delta systems and lagoons, and carbonate sedimentation on the surrounding continental platforms, covered by shallow seas.

The later half of the period experienced glaciations, low sea level, and mountain building as the continents collided to form Pangaea. A minor marine and terrestrial extinction event, the Carboniferous rainforest collapse, occurred at the end of the period, caused by climate change.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So when most Of America was covered by the sea, would that have been global warming or global cooling that caused that. When the waters resided, was that global warming or global cooling?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
So when most Of America was covered by the sea, would that have been global warming or global cooling that caused that. When the waters resided, was that global warming or global cooling?

Before the end of the Carboniferous Period, an extinction event occurred. On land this event is referred to as the Carboniferous Rainforest Collapse (CRC). Vast tropical rainforests collapsed suddenly as the climate changed from hot and humid to cool and arid. This was likely caused by intense glaciation and a drop in sea levels.

Wikipedia is amazing.
edit on 1-2-2020 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Warming periods generally mean higher sea levels. Glaciation results in more water tied up in ice, so lower sea levels (and more desertification.)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You also have to remember that the continents were in very different places back then. IIRC the super-continent Pangea still existed back then.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

You also have to remember that the continents were in very different places back then. IIRC the super-continent Pangea still existed back then.

Yes. It's possible that the events during which Pangaea formed were directly responsible for this majestic beast's demise.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I would wager, based on the location of these fossils being found inside of a cave in the Appalachian Mountains, that plate tectonics has nearly as much to do with the current landscape of North America as environmental changes.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I would wager, based on the location of these fossils being found inside of a cave in the Appalachian Mountains, that plate tectonics has nearly as much to do with the current landscape of North America as environmental changes.

I'll go double or nothing that plate tectonics has more to do with the current landscape of North America than environmental change.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   
“ The mammoth cave system is between 500 and 700feet above sea level depending on your location . It formed in a 3 to 400 foot layer of lime stone capped by a 50 foot layer of sandstone . Both were formed during the Ordovician period.

About 10 million years ago water eroded the lime stone into the current formation we know as mammoth cave”

That’s not a precise quote but that’s what the guides said everytime I went. Lol

I never saw a shark though . 🤔

No tectonic forces whatsoever .

Just water

edit on 1-2-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

330 million is pretty old.

Public service announcement: If you are a theist and you are offended by evolution just remember an omnipotent God can create the Universe in any amount of time including all the fake fossil and carbon dating evidence. So the theory of evolution is not threat. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I believe this would be the first shark cartilage ever found fossilized if I’m not mistaken.

I list posted in the megalodon thread that no one has ever found fossilized shark cartilage,

Super cool. Would love to see a docu about it.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: TzarChasm

I'd wager you are right. But then again you usually are.

My remarks were concerned with the manner in which a prehistoric fish meets its maker. Tectonic shift can really mess up a continent, it also seems that climate change affected the quality of marine life through global cooling, altering migration patterns and food availability. Or maybe a jealous dinosaur whale finished this poor guy. We may never know.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

About 10 million years ago water eroded the lime stone into the

No tectonic forces whatsoever .

Just water

The cave system was created from water erosion of the surrounding limestone no, but the Mountain Range itself is the result of the African plate colliding with the North American plate nearly 500 MA. The Appalachian Mountains were once as tall as the Alps and the Rocky Mountains and just a little more to add to the plate tectonics, a part of the Appalachian Mountains is still lingering in Morrocco.

The collision that created the Appalachian Mountains was the beginning stages of the formation of Pangea and N. America was mostly inland sea. There’s never just one factor to consider and ruling out possibilities without looking at all of the facts isn’t particularly wise.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

It’s nowhere near the Appalachian mountains .

It’s in East Central Kentucky .

Here I didn’t even read this before I posted it .

How was mammoth cave formed

As far as leaving things out. We could take it back to the big bang and the formation of the planet earth .

But then that would sound like a James Michener novel .

edit on 2-2-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

My bad West Central Kentucky .

new topics

top topics

join