It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Movement of Atoms?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is something I've been pondering all day, and I was wondering if it is at all plausible.

In my theory, as everyone knows that at 0 K matter stops moving, what if matter can actually starts to move again at a point below 0 K but in reverse. I don't know if that makes to much sense, so here is an analogy: A moving car representing matter in motion and it slows to a stop which is 0 K and then goes in reverse as in my theory of reverse movement in matter.

Do all of you scientific minds out there think that this is possible or just a fantasy of imagination?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
the anti particle?

I dont know just a thought =p

reverse gravity?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Awesome theory!!!

It could be possible, I don't know how it could be tested. If proven true it could help us capture anti-matter/anti gravity in a usefull way.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't think it is possible to ever get down to absolute zero (0K) as then the constituents of the atoms would no longer spin, thus violating Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Awesome thought!, dunno what could or would happen below zero, but as for anti-matter it seems that anti matter is produced in hot situations like a big bang or a in a relativistic collider rather than cold situations:

It seems as if you approach the zero point the quantom states start collapsing and you get things like Bose-einstein condensates and Fermion gasses where the quantum state is synchronised with other atoms to keep entropy in according with low enegry level.

Getting even closer to absolute zero I theorise you will see the collaps of the other forces like the weak and strong force and lose so much coherence that would probably destabillise the nucleus, so that it the atom will fly appart like in a fission or a fusion in smaller fragments and fotons with a higher speed/temperaure, actually preventing you ever from cooling the atom to or below absolute zero.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Fantasy. You can't get to 0 K, and if it started to move again that would mean the temperature would increase.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the input. I was just theorizing because you never know what things can be or not be. Many scientists have had thoughts that weren't accpeted or thought to be true but ending up to be true.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
DID YOU KNOW?

That water actually flows up hill defying gravity when it reaches close to 0K at like 3K or something like that....

I used to know some guys that worked for a universities cryogenics lab.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice... when it reaches close to 0K at like 3K or something like that....

Would water only do this feat if it was at 0k-3k or would it be done when it was hotter?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice
That water actually flows up hill defying gravity when it reaches close to 0K at like 3K or something like that....

Hahaha
thanks for the chuckle

Water at 3K is hard frozen. Aka ice. It won't flow.

What you mention is helium, and it's called superfluidity. Even then, it's not "against gravity" but similar to capillary forces we observe every day. If you don't believe me, go the bathroom, take a length of toilet paper and dangle it over the toilet, such that it touches the water. Observe.

LOL you guys are really something.

Tempereature=kinetic energy. Particles can't go in reverse. There is no reverse to begin with.

hahaha

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Thanks for saving me typing time Aelita. I feel the same way.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by JackJuice

Hahaha
thanks for the chuckle

Water at 3K is hard frozen. Aka ice. It won't flow.

What you mention is helium, and it's called superfluidity. Even then, it's not "against gravity" but similar to capillary forces we observe every day. If you don't believe me, go the bathroom, take a length of toilet paper and dangle it over the toilet, such that it touches the water. Observe.

LOL you guys are really something.

Tempereature=kinetic energy. Particles can't go in reverse. There is no reverse to begin with.

hahaha

my apologies i forgot to mention that at around 30 kelvin or something like that water actually turns back into a liquid form, and i never said that the particles would be working in reverse. To the contrary im just stating that H2O behaves very strangley near 0 kelvin perhaps the the molecular bonds break and it is no longer water im not sure i will see what i can do as to finding some proof for ya'll

Here is one site that may be of interest
cryowwwebber.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 9-3-2005 by JackJuice]

[edit on 9-3-2005 by JackJuice]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Jack, you were impolitely barbed for your post, and you choose not to return fire in kind. You politely clarified and directed focus to a highly respected information portal.

I have voted JackJuice for Way Above

from Aelita

Tempereature=kinetic energy

Politely from Jackjuice
cryowwwebber.gsfc.nasa.gov...

from NASA...
This answer, while not completely wrong, ignores that temperature is not defined as motion of molecules. It is, for certain systems, equal to the mean kinetic energy of molecules, but this is an equality, not a definition.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I hate to burst your bubble, but someone was messing with you.

Water is not liquid at 30k or less even in a vacuum. At low temp, low pressure, or both, water can only sublimate from solid to gas or condense from gas to solid.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Your graph only shows only a small portion past 0 degree C. however if your source has information about the effects of near 0K please post the link. Otherwise thats my story and im sticking too it lol but that doesnt mean i couldnt be wrong or of been lied too thats for sure.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I feel like an idiot! I forgot why I was thinking of this!

As the result of them reaching 0 K and going past it so to say, it would start to move only in reverse, and its "reverse" movements would be repeating what it was previously doing. My theory for doing this would be to kind of "de-age" an object.

Sorry for leaving that part off.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
How could you possible go below 0 K? Temperature is the measurement of heat something has, if all heat is taken away, and I mean ALL, then you have reached absolute zero..there is no more heat to be lost, so you can't go any lower.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well, even if 0 K is a limit that's only theorized... Movement requires energy, right? Where the heck would that energy come from if it is supposed to be below 0 K ??? There is no more available energy at 0 K !! Reverse movement basically is movement, and therefore, when there is no more energy to get to produce movement, i.e. when reaching 0 K, no reverse movement can be produced! I think...

top topics

join