It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribute for Art Bell installed in Pahrump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I recently moved to Pahrump. Saw this when I was looking at the news today. Not sure if it's been mentioned on ATS yet. I could probably put it in any paranormal forum but figured this one was the best fit. If admins disagree please go ahead and move it.

Art Bell immortalized in bronze

I haven't stopped by the park yet, but plan to this week. I loved listening to Bell late at night back in the 90's.
edit on 31-1-2020 by Gojira54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Gojira54

I miss Art too.

That was one of few radio programs I have listened to in my life. He had a great voice.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

I miss Art too.

That was one of few radio programs I have listened to in my life. He had a great voice.

The very reason I bought the original PC game Prey.
Art Bell took me home many of a night on my 30 mile trip home from work.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

That's awesome!
I was actually listening to him today.
It was a Dream Land episode.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

What I loved about Art Bell, no matter how outrageous a person's story was, he would take them seriously and treat them with respect. He didn't scare people off.

I love hearing about paranormal stuff.. some I believe is possible. Some I have first hand experience with (tho I'm never going to be 100% sure of what I saw, the rest of my experience that weekend tells me I probably saw either bigfoot, or a really hairy hermit who acted really strange. I may post about it one day in the cryptozoology forum). And the rest is usually pretty interesting even if I think it's crap. Bell had a knack for finding really interesting stories and people.

He even found one of Howard Stern's wack packers YEARS before Howard did! Riley Martin!

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I lived in Phoenix in the mid 90s... I worked an overnight delivery job and Art Bell made the mundane, enjoyable. Thank you KFYI, for carrying Art Bell. Sundays were always best... Dreamland.

I remember one night, in particular. Art was on the air, and said the Space Shuttle was re-entering over CA/AZ/NM, if you can see it, check it out. I stopped my car, got out and looked up... it was incredibly cool. I'll never forget that.

I miss Art.

edit on 31-1-2020 by madmac5150 because: Cranky pants

edit on 31-1-2020 by madmac5150 because: Grammar sux

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I've been to Pahrump. Once the Frontsight Academy. Once to the Ron Fellows Driving School. Nice restaurant. Went to the musuem. My question is: Why would anyone want to move there? Just curious.

Oh, and the brothel.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nice...

I drove through Pahrump once, and had Giorgio Moroder - Chase cranked up as a tribute....

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I listen to Art's broadcast archives every night when I go to bed. Genuine or not, he was a hell of a radio host and had millions of fans over the years. I think he really had a tough time in his later years with a lot of different things.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gojira54
a reply to: LookingAtMars

What I loved about Art Bell, no matter how outrageous a person's story was, he would take them seriously and treat them with respect. He didn't scare people off.

I love hearing about paranormal stuff.. some I believe is possible. Some I have first hand experience with (tho I'm never going to be 100% sure of what I saw, the rest of my experience that weekend tells me I probably saw either bigfoot, or a really hairy hermit who acted really strange. I may post about it one day in the cryptozoology forum). And the rest is usually pretty interesting even if I think it's crap. Bell had a knack for finding really interesting stories and people.

He even found one of Howard Stern's wack packers YEARS before Howard did! Riley Martin!

Unlike that little weasel Ian P.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Good.

He deserves it.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

He was a good radio host but towards the end there his pot developed a few cracks. Plus after his retirement I think he forgot how much work a 4 hour 5 day a week radio show actually takes. I think he would have been much happier if he hadn't cut ties with Coast to Coast and stuck with the occasional Saturday. But too late now.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I've been to Pahrump. Once the Frontsight Academy. Once to the Ron Fellows Driving School. Nice restaurant. Went to the musuem. My question is: Why would anyone want to move there? Just curious.

Oh, and the brothel.

Well.... I used to live on Long Island. I had a very BAD situation with a roommate. Lease was in the roommate's name so I had to leave. I didn't see the point in spending $1200+ a month for a small studio apartment.

So I bought myself a cheap RV and moved to a place I can live in it. Cut my expenses down from well over $1000 a month to under $500!

I picked Nevada for the trifecta of no state income tax, legal recreational marijuana, and the lack of rain (water can be your mortal enemy with an RV).. And I picked Pahrump because it's NOT Vegas, but it's close enough where if I get bored I can drive an hour to Vegas and find something to do.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Oh, and the brothel.

Umm...

Ha!

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

There are actually 2 brothels here in town... and 2 more about 20 minutes away in Amargosa.

I was actually surprised to find out that prostitution is illegal in Vegas. It's not a statewide law here, it's county by county. Most allow it, some don't.

I also find it funny that the county Las Vegas is in is the ONLY county in the state that has a law against sleeping in a vehicle. You cannot sleep in your RV unless it's in an RV park. You can sleep on the street no problem, but sheltering yourself in a vehicle is prohibited. It is also the ONLY county in this state that voted for Hillary, and the only county in the state with democrats in charge. Being a full time RVer, I've noticed that most of the places in the country with laws against sleeping in a vehicle are places where democrats are running the show. I guess they only like helping the homeless if the homeless stay out of their neighborhoods...

Democrats... champions of the poor, and defenders of the homeless... riiiiiiight!
edit on 1-2-2020 by Gojira54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

That's cool. Used to listen to him all the time. I use to live in the far north end of Pahrump (quiet) in my RV.
All kinds of characters in that town.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I used to listen to his show every night with my little bedside radio back in the 90's. The sound and patience of Art's voice, the sound of the guests and crazy listeners calling over the crackly phone line, and that ever-present mysterious AM whirring sound, it was ASMR perfected before it was a thing. Crazy topics that no doubt contributed to crazy dreams.

Art helped inspire my interests in several areas like shortwave and ham radio, strange history, ETs, and is a reason I'm a member here. I'm glad to know there's a tribute in honor.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

I miss Art too.

I also like the way he presented his not ready for prime time concepts too.

He was a skeptic that let the listener hear the report from the witnesses. You decide what you believe. I still like to read things from Stan Deyo after being so skeptical of him. Just because he may be hard to believe, didn't mean it wasn't worth considering the presentation.

new topics

top topics

join