It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, not the nCoV, just the regular flu

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

The Boro is my hometown. Grew up here, and always end up returning.

I think it's because I bought beer one time at that cursed Davis Market, and I never pissed on that obelisk marking the geographical center of Tennessee.

Oh well lol.

I don't know why you'd want to move to Northern VA.(I remember.) I spent a few years in between Suffolk, Chesapeake, VaBeach, Newport News, and some other cities around there. Couldn't leave fast enough lol.

I hope your wife recovers quickly and gets back to feeling 100%
edit on 3112020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

The seasonal flu, for example, kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

In the United States, the mortality rate among people infected with influenza is 0.13 percent, the Centers for Disease Control has calculated.

If the virus spreads as quickly on a national scale, "it is possible that epidemics could be already growing in multiple major Chinese cities, with a time lag of one to two weeks behind Wuhan," said co-author Joseph Wu, a professor at the University of Hong Kong.

"Large cities overseas with close transport links to China could potentially also become outbreak epicentres."

If the new estimate of cases is accurate, it would mean that the mortality rate of the 2019-nCoV virus is significantly lower than preliminary figures suggested, with well under one percent of cases proving deadly.

medicalxpress.com, news, Jan. 31, 2020 - 75,000 in Wuhan infected with coronavirus: study estimates.

Good news, nCoV is not as deadly as feared. Bad news, large populations will most likely catch it. Even 0.01 of 1 million is 10,000, which a lot of bodies to deal with.

The really bad news is that nCoV appears to have the same genome (if not the full sequence, then the same effect as) HIV 1 gp120. Which makes me wonder, why oh why did it have to be made airborne?!!

Anyhoo, back to the OP and 'Merica, you still have 0.13 percent mortality rate which is worrisome!

-Stay hydrated, wash your hands, and don't touch your eyes!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

* Outpatient ILI and laboratory data remain elevated and increased again this week. Nationally, and in some regions, the proportion of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses compared to influenza B viruses is increasing.

* Overall, hospitalization rates remain similar to this time during recent seasons, but rates among children and young adults are higher at this time than in recent seasons.

* Pneumonia and influenza mortality has been low, but 78 influenza-associated deaths in children have been reported so far this season.

* CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 22 million flu illnesses, 210,000 hospitalizations and 12,000 deaths from flu.

* Flu vaccine effectiveness estimates will be available later this month, but vaccination is always the best way to prevent flu and its potentially serious complications.

* Antiviral medications are an important adjunct to flu vaccine in the control of influenza. Almost all (>99%) of the influenza viruses tested this season are susceptible to the four FDA-approved influenza antiviral medications recommended for use in the U.S. this season.

CDC.gov, Weekly Flu Activity, week 5 (ending Feb 1) - Link.

Sorry for being on the back-end of this update (work shizz has gotten all serious, yo!)

From the previous week, number of states increased from 44 to 47. The number dead is over 12,000 across the U.S.

And if you don't want to hear it from ol' TEOT, take it from the folks at MIT:

A new study estimates that improving the rates of handwashing by travelers passing through just 10 of the world’s leading airports could significantly reduce the spread of many infectious diseases. And the greater the improvement in people’s handwashing habits at airports, the more dramatic the effect on slowing the disease, the researchers found.

The findings, which deal with infectious diseases in general including the flu, were published in late December, just before the recent coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, but the study’s authors say that its results would apply to any such disease and are relevant to the current outbreak.

MIT.edu, news, Feb 6, 2020 - Study: To slow an epidemic, focus on handwashing.

The report is disturbing and makes me feel a bit better about being a bit of a germaphobe! The report states that 70% of all people visiting the restroom wash their hands but 50% are doing it wrong! The 30% who don't are mucking up the airports. They estimate that 10% improvement rate could slow any outbreak down by 60% (all numbers same source).

Forget fly shaming! We need Greta to raise everybody's consciousness, (pry open their third eye and spit it!), get down with some good old fashioned gross, germy hands, shaming!!

Since I started soap-boxing about hand sanitation I noticed that I too stick my fingers into nose/mouth area a bit too often. But here is one I wish I didn't see: a 30%'er was finishing up urinating as I entered the restroom; he turned around, the toilet flushes, he heads for the door... then digs in his teeth to dislodge something! Ewwwwww!

(You are welcome for the share and the visuals!)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The 2017-2018 Flu Season killed a staggering 61,000 people here in the United States!

Source - CDC: www.cdc.gov...

I don't think Covid-19 is even up to 1,000 in the USA, is it? Hopefully it will never get to 1,000, let alone SIXTY-ONE Thousand.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The 2017-2018 Flu Season killed a staggering 61,000 people here in the United States!

Source - CDC: www.cdc.gov...

I don't think Covid-19 is even up to 1,000 in the USA, is it? Hopefully it will never get to 1,000, let alone SIXTY-ONE Thousand.

That being said I've never heard of the flu shutting down the whole world, so now were at Vegas shut down, airlines shutting down, international travel canned, border closed to Canada, Mexico wants a wall, hey maybe trump will get them to pay for it after all
. The UK enact the war act and the list just goes on and on..

There's something were not being told about this virus.
edit on 19-3-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Hopefully it will never get to 1,000, let alone SIXTY-ONE Thousand.

Hope don't count for a hill of beans.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That being said I've never heard of the flu shutting down the whole world,

1918? Of course, there was not even nearly as much international travel then.

edit on 3/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I've only been on the planet 50 years so in my lifetime at least...

Oh well at least people will have very clean hands moving forward.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join