It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avaaz is going too far

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I've been a member with Avaaz for many years, they basically create petitions and allow people to sign them. I've signed maybe half a dozen of them, mostly ones about protecting endangered animals from poachers. I've always known they're a mostly leftist organization but that never really concerned me, a good cause is still a good cause. However I've noticed that since Trump was elected, they've shifted into more political territory and moved quite far left, and they're now outright encouraging censorship on YouTube.

Our movement just uncovered a huge scandal -- Youtube is profiting from promoting climate denial videos to millions all over the world!

The media are all over our evidence, advertisers are alarmed, and the US Congress has given them 10 days to explain themselves.

Insiders say execs are under intense pressure -- and a huge outcry from people around the world right now could see them stop spreading lies!

Let’s build a giant global defence of truth, and deliver it via staff, advertisers, Youtube stars, and mobile billboards surrounding their offices, demanding Youtube stops spreading toxic lies that threaten our planet and our future.

Our investigation found that when you search for ‘climate change’ on Youtube, videos came up that denied the climate crisis existed, said scientists were liars, and that global warming was a hoax -- and they’d racked up millions and millions of views.

It’s happened because Youtube is programmed to maximise eyeballs on videos, and the ads that go with them -- and crazed conspiracy theories often get people watching more than the truth.

This is one of the biggest threats to truth on our planet -- not just on climate change, but on politics and health too. But there’s a way out. The Youtube algorithms could easily be changed to stop promoting false information to millions. Now is the moment to strike -- so let’s make this massive, and stop Youtube spreading lies that threaten everything!

YouTube already has several systems which demote, hide, or otherwise suppress conspiracy videos, but obviously their system cannot remove or hide every single conspiracy video, nor should it. It's very public knowledge at this point, but these idiots are like "we just uncovered a huge scandal, conspiracy videos exist on YouTube and we don't like it so we're going to act like toddlers and cry about it until YouTube removes everything we deem untruthful". I have written threads which are skeptical of man made global warming claims, is everything I wrote automatically propaganda and should be censored just because you don't agree with it? It's nothing but dystopian nonsense from small minded control freaks.
edit on 30/1/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Our movement just uncovered a huge scandal -- Youtube is profiting from promoting climate denial videos to millions all over the world!

I'm a huge anti pollution and waste advocate. One of the few regulations on business that I do agree with are environmental regulations.

But I say so what to this. People are going to believe what they believe and I see nothing wrong with youtube giving a platform to anyone that wants to be heard for any reason.

and the US Congress has given them 10 days to explain themselves.

First I'm hearing about that. I wonder if that's true?

Let’s build a giant global defence of truth, and deliver it via staff, advertisers, Youtube stars, and mobile billboards surrounding their offices, demanding Youtube stops spreading toxic lies that threaten our planet and our future.

I have no problem with them doing this.
I do have a problem if they try to get the government to create some new law over what they don't like youtube doing.

edit on 30-1-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
YouTube is a dangling set of balls haphazardly hanging above moving machinery. You might come out successful, you might lose your balls. Game on, player.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
YouTube is a dangling set of balls haphazardly hanging above moving machinery. You might come out successful, you might lose your balls. Game on, player.

Most environmental charities are like political campaigns. They are like a contstant, unstoppable, begging maching that uses half-truths and emotionally charged rhetoric. I supported some before I educated myself and discovered how bad it really is. They have no problem telling lies or omitting facts for that all mighty dollar. It's a communist tactic they've employed for a long time.

Better to donate to local environmental groups that have direct action or do lobbying. Friends of X "river, bog, marsh, etc.". You can look up what they're doing and verify it isn't lie filled propaganda. You can also support them by attending events or workshops. It's money and time much better spent.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

They have no problem telling lies or omitting facts for that all mighty dollar. It's a communist tactic they've employed for a long time.

What?

You mean Capitalists lie for the almighty dollar.

Interesting that our overlords lie so much that people don't even seem to know the differences between Capitalism and Communism anymore.

Don't misread my post - I prefer Capitalists over Commies any day...

But! It's capitalists who lie for $$$.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

This. I don't do activist type stuff anymore, but in my hey day before I got involved with Rising Tide and Peaceful Uprising I always, always pushed for local action. I would promote the ideal that individuals should be taking part in being a boon to their own local communities.

By donating money to large national and global causes you are essentially giving your money away to groups that reinvest it to eff all who knows. That or it goes to lobbyists and other large groups. For all intents and purposes your money just disappears.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

They have no problem telling lies or omitting facts for that all mighty dollar. It's a communist tactic they've employed for a long time.

You mean Capitalists lie for the almighty dollar.

Interesting that our overlords lie so much that people don't even seem to know the differences between Capitalism and Communism anymore.

Don't misread my post - I prefer Capitalists over Commies any day...

But! It's capitalists who lie for $$$.

No. I said exactly what I meant.

I'm also well aware of the difference.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Commies lie as much or more than Capitalists.

And about far more important things IMHO.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
a reply to: muzzleflash

Commies lie as much or more than Capitalists.

And about far more important things IMHO.

All ppl lie at some point.

We should at least judge history for good examples. It's full of it lol.

top topics

join