It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Reacts to New York Magazine Calling Sausage Rolls 'Pigs in Blankets'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

So you wanna talk about Fruits? How about Nuts?

edit on 30-1-2020 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Good luck getting Omar Ilhan's opinion...

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
....Cripe..... F the f'n f's...... you have gone too far. get out'a here, this is America the Baddest Country in the world that can kick your crying _ss clear down the road to Oblivion into dust gone....

Yeah, but you'd obviously do it all wrong and name it after something British and then we'd make you guys all look stupid by showing you how it's REALLY done.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

After several large pigs in blankets the "out gassing" is probably on a similar level!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Have a bag of crisps on me

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I'll take the crisps, but I'd rather raise you a bag of pork scratchings and a pint!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is a pig in a blanket.

edit on 30-1-2020 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hay keep it up and I will raise you one signed autographed picture of this motorcycle gang for hire!

Pandora - Royal Enfield

edit on 30-1-2020 by Waterglass because: added b

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My neighbor smoked a fag while eating a spotted dick. Good times.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Did he put Mint Jelly over the spotted dick?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
a reply to: rickymouse

learned it does not make any difference what you call them if they taste good. If they don't taste good I call them a multitude of names.

The name of a food calls up certain images. That's why so many now are region specific or protected. The Cornish pasty or the drink Champagne, or certain French cheeses come to mind but the porky goodness of the sausage roll or pigs in blankets shouldn't be banded about like this.

The pasty originated in the area of Russia to the upper right side of Finland, then was adopted by the Finns and swedes before it went to cornwell. The original place was probably part of Finland at the time. I read the history of the pasty somewhere, the original crust was pure rye flour. Some versions of the pasty had the desert built into both ends of the pasty and the cornish miners liked hand foods they could eat easier.

But England was always taking credit for creating things, they even discovered the Rutabaga, I suppose they discovered that the Swedes were eating it for a hundred years so they took credit for the discovery. Since The area of Finland that pasties were first invented in now is in Russia, that means pasties are Russian food.

Having homemade pasties tonight, we make big batches then freeze them in packs of threes as soon as they cool. Then you toss the frozen pasty into the oven for forty minutes and they taste as good as they were when you made them. If you freeze them the next day, they do not taste as good as they do as soon as they cool. Been doing pasties most of my life, I make the cornish version.....I found that a little rinsed frozen corn added to the pasties makes them taste better.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
dear lord no. You cover it.in cream

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
dear lord no. You cover it.in cream

post of the day!!!
thanks

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just because you can't be bothered to keep up with American regional cuisine is not our problem.

Our pigs hang out in different blankets than yours. So deal.

If you want your dog wrapped in bacon, you're looking for a Sonoran or Tijuana dog here in the states.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just rename the bloody things, 'Dead pigs in blankets' then you'll have no more complaints.

edit on 30-1-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Now you're just making things up about the good old Cornish pasty being Russian 'cause ya feeling are all hurt over pigs in blankets and Americans trying to take credit for everything.
It was sometimes made one side savoury and one side sweet and the crust was the way it was for holding and would be thrown away after by the Cornish tin-miners.

edit on 30-1-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Just don't let the law catch you with that sharpened spork, as to not end up on a watchlist.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth
In a Surtees novel (Victorian era), I found the expression "dogs in blankets", and I found that explained elsewhere as sausages in pastry.
So the difference may be that they are pigs if wrapped in bacon, and dogs if wrapped in anything else.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If you want your dog wrapped in bacon, you're looking for a Sonoran or Tijuana dog here in the states.

That's really taken from what was called Tijuana Bass....very fishy.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I've never had them any way you talk about them.

All I recall is those nasty things they called hot dogs wrapped in some kind of dense stuff they pretended was bread when I was in school. They called that pigs in a blanket and I've never been a fan of the stuff since.

A pig (hot dog or sausage) should be either on its own or in a bun so it can breathe properly and embrace whatever condiments you should choose to dress it with.

That's my take and I stand by it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join