It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google play wants access to sms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Anyone know why google play services need app access to the following:

body sensors
calendar
call logs
camera
contacts
microphone
sms?

I have tried to disable access to sms but i keep getting notifications popping up telling sms wont work properly if google play doesnt have access, however this info is wrong because i can still send messages!

I try to uninstall but it doesn't uninstall, do i need to uninstall something else? And will my phone stop working if i do?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Maybe its time to think like a Drug Dealer and go back to Burner Phones.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I stopped using Google play and its apps because of the permissions , Google is not our friend so son't give it your data.

Don't disable anything just ditch the apps.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Sorry had to work for a bit, yea I'm not a fan of Google and how intrusive they can be, a lot of it sounds benign but really isn't LOL. Depends on your level of irritation or paranoia. I know for example with Amazon I ordered loads of stuff for my elderly father (RIPas we were fighting his cancer for 3 years. Anyway, I still get slammed with ads all over like I'm 80 years old, not that I want legit ads either but it is mostly about marketing and data gathering to target you and your proclivities. Of course like with anything there are theories and rumors such as if you disable too much stuff it puts you on a watch list LOL. I prescribe to once you connect to the internet they basically got you. Check out Spokeo among others couldn't remember an address I lived at in the 80's BAM there it is.

3 sites discussing your issues below

Google Play Services required permissions - Android ...
Search domain android.stackexchange.com/questions/196248/google-play-services-required-permissionsandroid.stackexchange.com... vices-required-permissions
Google Play Services required permissions. Why does Google Play Services require so many permissions. Access to my phone, contacts, text messages, camera, microphone, and even body sensors cannot be turned off without constant push notices saying they must be turned on for it to work properly.
What Is Google Play Services? Why Do You Need It?
Search domain fossbytes.com/google-play-services-necessity/fossbytes.com...
Nov 30, 2019If you view the App permissions for Google Play Services, you will see that it asks for a lot of permissions to access body sensors, calendar, camera, contacts, microphone, phone, SMS, and storage. It needs so many permissions because Play Services acts as a hub where other apps rely...
Why does Google Play Services need all permissions? - Android ...
Search domain forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/813915-why-does-google-play-services-need-all-permissions.htmlforums.androidcentral.com... p-how/813915-why-does-google-play-services-need-all-permissions.html
Title pretty much explains it all. I can understand why gmail would need to access my contacts, for example. But why does Google Play Services need Body Sensor or Microphone to be able to do it's job? Seems very dodgy to me. I just want to know if disabling these permissions will cause any problems.

edit on 30-1-2020 by putnam6 because: additions

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I stopped using Google play and its apps because of the permissions , Google is not our friend so son't give it your data.

Don't disable anything just ditch the apps.

If you're using andriod that basically leaves you with no apps to use and then you might as well just have a flip phone..

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

It is Google play doing this? Wierd.. I have many of those permissions disabled for google play and notifications off. It's also strange that it is affecting sms.

Have you downloaded any apps recently that may be seccretly causing it with malware?

You can always factory reset the phone..

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

If you're using andriod that basically leaves you with no apps to use and then you might as well just have a flip phone.

All I need is the phone and camera , my love for apps and the listening and tracking technology that comes with them has long since faded , if I could get away with not having the phone I'd just get a land line and camera but work means I have to have a mobile device.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I have never owned anything but a flip phone and thats my go to...I try to leave it at home when I can.

I recently wanted to buy a drone but you need one of those privacy invading devices to operate and view the drone in operation.
Got the phone (not hooked up) so I can DL a few maps and possibly get a drone app.

Can anyone tell me how to use a drone with a phone, but have everything else disabled or deleted??
It always wants my location and won't let me download firefox??

Instead of gmail, I use protonmail...its free and the emails are encrypted.
Instead of youtube, I go to dailymotion.

I don't do netflix,facebook, instagram, tik tok, twitter, GPS...etc etc
Those are all the things I want gone off of this stupid device, never to be seen again by me on ANY device.

Can I get rid of all this garbage on this dumb phone so I can just use a drone??

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Phone came with the apps already installed.

i am going to try disabling them all and /or uninstalling and see what happens. If I can't make calls or send messages, I'll re install them but seriously all i use at present is phone, sms, calendar, clock for alarms, internet including gmail, camera, video and notepad.

I dont use google play services to listen to music or watch vids, inless i'm watching a vid on the mobile net. Do i need googe play to watch vids on google search engine? I dont think so.

I also dont use facebook on my phone. I do sometimes log in to twitter but why should that need google play??

edit on 30-1-2020 by CrazeeWorld777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

many others asing the same questions it seems

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Seems fine to me.
edit on 30/1/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

do you get any notifications when you send an sm telling you it wont work properly without google play services? it eeds access to the following:

calendar?
contacts?
sms?

thats what i keep getting

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Focre stopped the app from working but notifications still arise and the option to force stop is back on. I'm find this troubling as if my dta is being stored including my messages and phone calls

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Maybe its time to think like a Drug Dealer and go back to Burner Phones.

Why not just make normal phone calls? Is it really harder than texting? I mean unless you're a secretary or something, how many people does one person really need to communicate with while they're on the go?

Anyone who needs to talk to me can call me. If not, I guess they don't really need to talk to me.
edit on 30-1-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

No but I use silence, etar and simple contacts off f-droid for those tasks. Why anyone uses the built in SMS, contacts, phone, calendar and especially keyboard apps is beyond me. Dont trust google.
Those things are the first things I disable and replace on any new phone.

What Gboard sends to Google:

• Gboard sends your searches to Google’s web servers to give you search results.

• Gboard also sends usage statistics to Google to let us know which features are used most often and to help us understand problems if the app crashes.

• If you use Gboard’s microphone, voice input will be sent to Google for transcription.

edit on 30/1/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
just been reading ratings and reviews on the 'carrier service' app which is on my phone. Anyone else?

I thought i needed it in order to make phone calls but that isnt the case as it has nothing to do with my O2 service provider.

some reviews state that its a chinese spyware app added to phone when software update occured back in december, I did update my phone back then as i was asked to do so with notifications.

i am beginning to think my messages and phone calls have been sent to china.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
something to with RCS updates to use messaging with google. WTF is that?

Something is going on here.

If you go to google play services on your phones and search for 'carrier services' or 'google carrier services' you can read all the reviews for this app. I havnt tried unistalling all the google stuff yet but some have and they keep getting notifications to install again or your phone wont work properly

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Listen, they did not split the company in half and call one entity "alphabet" as the namesake for the combination of all the government letter agencies just to throw it in your face. They need your flippin' sms messages to advance their agenda you paranoid criminal.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Anything to do with Google should set alarm bells ringing. Have people not learnt?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Most drones you can fly blind or with goggles. In my opinion goggles are the way to go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join