It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An ATS Collaborative Book

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATSers

I was reading through our short story section, and enjoying all of the great writing talent we have in our community, and thought how cool it would be to rep ATS and get a book published.

Writers, Poets, Artists, anyone interested in submitting some work and publishing a collection?

I'm reading up on the process now, but if any resourceful member here has any experience, I'd love to hear from you.

It would just be a really cool project to unite the artists.

Hope you're having a good night!

edit on 29-1-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

The best answer is to publish a book of short stories. They have all been written. You may want to give the respective authors time to fix any errors.

Hundreds of grammar Nazis are waiting for the go signal.

Perhaps a chapter per member.

P

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Perhaps a chapter per member.

P

This is a fun idea

I was thinking about short stories (as you said there are so many already written on here), but there's such a good store of knowledge in here that a collaboration would be interesting/fun as well.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It's not that simple. I do not remember if T&C's here make everything published on this platform becomes property of said platform (or parent company) but that is common language in T&Cs.

There is compensation for the original authors, agreements for percentages on top of initial compensation. Editing costs, etc.

While an anthology is a great idea that might do well if marketed correctly. There are some legal complexities that will need to be addressed.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme
As I understand it "All Content" (including short stories; novels, monographs, theoretical suppositions) presented upon this platform of ATS belongs solely to ATS. I think you give up your rights to ownership of 'content' when you commit to being a contributor to this site. I could be wrong.

edit on 30-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Really interesting idea, S&F!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing
a reply to: randomtangentsrme
As I understand it "All Content" (including short stories; novels, monographs, theoretical suppositions) presented upon this platform of ATS belongs solely to ATS. I think you give up your rights to ownership of 'content' when you commit to being a contributor to this site. I could be wrong.

Technically The Above Network LLC.

Intellectual property is an interesting area of law.
When I design a set for theater, I get paid a design fee for a set amount of of time for a specific production.
If they choose to do the show again at a later date, if they reuse my design without my approval and another agreed upon fee I could seek legal recourse to recover losses for not being paid.
The one poem I've posted to this site I have proof of being my intellectual property due to me turning it in as a homework assignment years before I found this website.

My avatar is a piece of artwork a friend of mine did, which I asked permission to use prior to uploading it as my avatar.
He has never (to my knowledge) been a member of this site, he holds copyright, but he allowed me to use it for this website as an avatar.
There is no way there is legal standing for the LLC to claim ownership of my avatar as I do not hold the copyright but I have no legal fault as it is used with permission.

I think the language in the T&C's is more to protect the members from intellectual theft, as well as being a means to properly moderate the site, rather than being draconian to hold all posts to the copyright of the website.
As I know posts have been deleted, there is some content the site owners do not want to be affiliated with.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

To the best of my knowledge that is not correct. While I'm no lawyer my understanding is that the policy allows ATS to prevent other websites from stealing and republishing the user generated content from this site onto theirs. ATS can also republish things posted here in other places if that need ever arose.

You are free to repost your own posts here as you wish. IE if you had a blog and you wanted to post your OPs from ATS to it - there is no issue. You are the author.

If I'm wrong I imagine other staff members will correct me - however I think that's the basics of it.

ETA: In the past I'm aware of two different occasions where members turned their ATS posts and OP's into ebooks. There was no issue that I recall either time.

edit on 1/30/20 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

You gave a better summation than I did in my closing paragraph.
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 02:58 AM
link   

That is correct, there was a thread way back where it was made very clear.

All of my work ( short stories ) on this web site are mine.

ATS may use my work for it's own purposes but not in any way that diminishes my work.

P

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I love this idea and would like to be involved.
I have put all of my stories on my own personal blog but wouldn't think twice about writing new submissions especially if the book had a theme we were all incorporating into our work.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Every contest is a new theme.

P

edit on 30/1/2020 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I think your only option would be self publishing, as most publishers stay far away from publishing anything that’s been previously released, unless the material has a very wide fan base.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Thank you for clarifying!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Wonderful, I'd like to submit as well. I will keep you updated and involved as this idea develops!!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Count me in!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Please don't post the fictional stories I wrote about DB, the statute of limitations has not yet expired on some of his activities.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I think it could be fun!

I'm in if you will have me.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ok, cool!

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

We'd love to have you, all of our writers are welcome!

edit on 30-1-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join