It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Two-year-old boy survives for two days on syrup after caretaker dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
A two year old has been found alive after a being on his own after his caretaker died. The toddler ate pancake syrup for two days after his caretaker, Gladie Mae Johnson, 64, died of apparent natural causes. Concerned relatives had entered the home because they had not heard from her. Johnson had been caring for the child for over a year when the mother had been sent to prison.

story.news.yahoo.com
HOUSTON (AP) - A two-year-old boy survived for up to two days on pancake syrup and onions after his caretaker died in their home, police said.

The boy was found on Monday after a relative of Gladie Mae Johnson, 64, became concerned because she hadn't heard from her.

When the relative knocked on the door of Johnson's home, she heard knocking back from inside. She entered through an unlocked back door and found the boy and Johnson's body.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The will to survive is a strong one and the infant is lucky that the pancake syrup was available. However, two days is not a long time and they were lucky that it was not summer. Had we been looking at a couple more days then things would get really dicey. My toddler would love unrestricted access to pancake syrup too!

[edit on 3/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Heck Fred,

I'd like unrestricted access to pancake syrup. However, my wife says,
"NO"!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
That is one smart 2 year old, they couldn't have chose a better source of energy to stay alive. Probably made himself sick from all the sweetness, but it is a miracle he lived. God was watching over that child, and spoiling them. Not saying it was the best conditions, but who else can say they got to eat what they wanted at that age, and for two whole days.

I just hope the state or government don't take him in, I hope he gets adopted by some caring family soon. It's not right for children to be stuck with the state.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Actually, in such cases, and there have been a number of these in the last few years, I believe it is the instinct to survive that is what is really at work here. I'm not sure that a two year old has developed what we call will, but whatever it is it is remarkable and wonderful.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I know the energy requirements of young children are enormous, but I don't think he would have been in danger of starving to death after two days. Is it possible to starve to death in that short a period of time? I understand small children don't have the energy reserves of adults, but surely two days would not be enough to do permanent damage?

This is like when the bus driver has a heart attack, just bad luck.

The kid is lucky there were no pets around. I've heard some horror stories of poodles and chows who devoured children, dead owners, living geriatric owners and cripple people, seemingly on a whim, even in a couple of cases where alternative food sources were available.

Good for the kid to have survived, I hope he manages to stay out of prison and contribute to society. That's a much more pressing challenge than living two days without food.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Technically, the child did have food. The syrup is mostly sugar and while not the best of diets for the long term is enough to keep the kid alive for a couple of days with no problem. I have survived several times on IV glucose for days at a time.

What is really remarkable is the child having the initiative to seek out the syrup for sustenance. I guess it was mainly luck that he didn't get his hands on some toxic substance.

[edit on 05/3/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I know the energy requirements of young children are enormous, but I don't think he would have been in danger of starving to death after two days.

You are right, clearly not optimal, but dehydration would have been a bigger threat by day 3.

new topics

top topics

join