It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrice O'Neal Commentary on Radiohead's "Creep"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I just took a break from spending all day information gathering for potential sources of employment and was scrolling through Dreddit when I caught this gem from Patrice O'Neal.

It starts off with him simply making some commentary about the song in general, and then as the music fades in his tangent turns into a worked up tangent about racial and political identity. It being Patrice O'neal it's rather funny the whole way through, but it speaks volumes about how a certain group of white people are viewed from the outside.

It's a quick watch of only four or five minutes. Go ahead and give a view. It might give you a laugh, unless you're a sourpuss that gets offended by everything.
edit on 2912020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

The portion I'm talking about starts at about 1:55
edit on 2912020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
I just took a break from spending all day information gathering for potential sources of employment and was scrolling through Dreddit when I caught this gem from Patrice O'Neal.

It starts off with him simply making some commentary about the song in general, and then as the music fades in his tangent turns into a worked up tangent about racial and political identity. It being Patrice O'neal it's rather funny the whole way through, but it speaks volumes about how a certain group of white people are viewed from the outside.

It's a quick watch of only four or five minutes. Go ahead and give a view. It might give you a laugh, unless you're a sourpuss that gets offended by everything.

I love Patrice. I suppose he brings up a good point. White people do look to feel bad. An interesting note on our culture. I guess it's the British in us...

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Patrice was up there with the greats, imho. Sharp, witty, nasty as # and unashamedly so like no one else was, yet with a charisma and charm that had a joy all its own. He made droplets of water roll down my face many a time. He was stolen from us too early.

Here's to Patrice.

edit on 29/1/20 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

I suppose he brings up a good point. White people do look to feel bad.

Or we could totally turn that comment around, by saying 'black people do like to'... [insert negative stereotype here]...

But I'm guessing that wouldn't generally go down to well with most people

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

This brings up another point I want to make a post abiut when I get a new PC. I really wish people would speak for themselves and refrain from talking for everyone.

I'm white, but to say that my ancestors were British is a stretch. I also don't find things to feel bad about.

I almost felt like saying maybe I proved your point, but I know many British people who aren't woeful about what their ancestors did or didn't do.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Yup Patrice wasn't afraid to speak his mind. Just raw and unfiltered. Even if I didn't personally agree with something he was talking about I would be laughing my ass off because I knew it was true for some unfortunate fool lmao

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Its like he knows me

I am a creep, I didn't own slaves, but I am a weirdo.

he's right that

dun dun dun

the guitar strikes deep into the crackers soul.

^_^

Really miss Patrice.

So does Amy Schumer she needs some jokes to steal.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Part of the reason why I wish people would practice speaking for themselves.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Really miss Patrice.

So does Amy Schumer she needs some jokes to steal.

Nice!
2nd

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: sine.nomine

I suppose he brings up a good point. White people do look to feel bad.

Or we could totally turn that comment around, by saying 'black people do like to'... [insert negative stereotype here]...

But I'm guessing that wouldn't generally go down to well with most people

Meh. I guess I'm trying to relate with him. I don't look to feel guilty or sad personally. I can see his sentiment though. I'll say "black people like to xyz" just as quick to say "white people xyz". It's all just observational humor.

ETA: If you don't like it, I guess you should stay out of the comedy clubs...

...as if Patrices comedy isn't race-based....
edit on 29-1-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I just listened to "Creep" a little while ago.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
I just listened to "Creep" a little while ago.

...whitey.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

My ancestors weren't British. I'm white. Comedy generalizes. It's ok. Its all in good fun.

Y'all get butthurt real quick, dontcha?
edit on 29-1-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Reply to: sine.nomine

LOL!

edit on 29-1-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Gotta say, I personally love that song.

😋

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Are you looking for an argument? I'm not butthurt.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Nah. You brought up speaking for everyone. I wasn't. It was mentioned in previous posts. I don't feel my post was taken in correctly. I may not have spoken correctly. No fault all around.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Funny. Radiohead live is a genuine experience. Those guys are amazing artist. I took a friend who really didn't care and after the show he was blown away. If you ever get a chance to go a live show take it is all I can say. You will get your moneys worth and some.

Crazy part, they don't even perform this song anymore. They refuse to play it last time I checked which is a good thing. They are way way beyond that song. On another plane. That was 90's grunge stuff. They are not that and other than that one song never were that genre. My favorite album is OK Computer. Amazing. I never get sick of it.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Wow, thanks for turning me on to OK Computer! Listening now, it's great!

Ah, I had heard Karma Police before, great song but I never knew what it was called...
edit on 1/30/2020 by wtbengineer because: to add

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Two points.

1. "White" people and "Black" people. How tedious and simplistic. No mention of speaking a "white" language. The politics of racial division.
2. Yeah, Radiohead are good. Saw them live many years ago around Oxford before they were famous, and when the world was simpler. Those were the days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join