It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Al Sharpton Proposes Ban On Rappers Involved in Violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The usually controversial Reverend Al Sharpton is calling for a ban on rappers involved in violent incidents, hoping to deny them radio airplay and tv time for 90 days. This proposal follows several incidents of violence among rappers including 50 Cents and The Game in which a hip hop drama has evolved between the men. A member of the The Game's entourage was shot outside of a NY radio station while 50 Cents was giving an on air interview in which he kicked out his former G-Unit member The Game.

www1.wsvn.com
The civil rights leader on Tuesday proposed a ban that would muzzle artists who are connected to any violent acts, denying them airplay on radio and television for 90 days. Though he did not single out 50 Cent by name, he told The Associated Press that a recent shooting linked to a feud involving 50 demonstrated the need for such a policy.

"There's a difference in the having the right to express yourself and in engaging in violence and using the violence to hype record sales, and then polluting young Americans that this is the key to success, by gunslinging and shooting," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one of the very few occassions in which I find myself in agreement with the Rev. Sharpton. HipHop has recently become increasingly violent and several big name rappers are either incarcerated or dealing with court cases due to violence they committed. It is not the content of the lyrics of any of these rappers that I am opposed to, but the fact that young people idolized these people and seeing them on tv and hearing them on the radio, right after they were involved in an incident sends the wrong message, that basically as long as you're famous, you can get away with anything. The music industry is based on publicity and these rappers must learn to keep their public image clean or face consequences. I think banning them from the airwaves and tv is an good way to start sending the message that hip hop fans are not interested in drama other than lyrical type.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
This proposal follows several incidents of violence among rappers including 50 Cents and The Game in which a hip hop drama has evolved between the men.

The drama is over, the beef has been squashed. It was announced today.

A member of the The Game's entourage was shot outside of a NY radio station while 50 Cents was giving an on air interview in which he kicked out his former G-Unit member The Game.

Unfortunately, while there have been fingers pointed, 50 himself was not involved in any of the violence and also (to my knowledge) 50 never gave the order for shooting, he was on the air and oblivious. How could he be banned for something he was only indirectly involved in? He commited no crime.

Originally posted by worldwatcherThe music industry is based on publicity and these rappers must learn to keep their public image clean or face consequences.

Are you kidding me? The rappers involved go out of their way to keep their public image dirty. How can you expect someone who raps about murdering people, tying up peoples families and selling drugs to keep "their pubic image clean". The rappers who hit the hardest usually are the ones who are the nastiest. They do face the consequences...they make a sh*tload more money.

I think banning them from the airwaves and tv is an good way to start sending the message that hip hop fans are not interested in drama other than lyrical type.

I don't know if you are a rap fan or not, but actually these glorified beefs are in fact embraced by many (not all, I won't generalize on this, but many) rap fans. It is kind of like watching an NBA game and seeing 2 players get into a brawl. Sure you tuned in to watch the game, but the actual fight is just the cherry on top.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see anything happen to these rappers, they are both talented individuals, but I am just saying that not ALL fans want it to stop, some wouldn't mind if they had a fistfight or two.

Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to find fault with what you are saying, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, I am just voicing mine.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
So Al Sharpton is giving up religion and politics for comedy!

The genie's out of the bottle, Sharpton! There might have been hope in the 1980s, but now?
You were too busy marching for "civil rights" to notice the what was going on his own backyard.

Wake up, Sharpton! It's over. There's no going back.

This is so funny I can hardly contain myself.

[edit on 05/3/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Good article, Worldwatcher, very controversial, but good.

I believe such a ban would be a good step towards lowering the amount of teenage and gang-related violence that is all too prominent in today's society.

However, in my honest opinion, today's society has become a world of unbelievable tolerance, and a ban of only 90 days does nothing but promote that tolerance.
Any artist (be it a rapper, a rock star, a pop singer, or an actor) or figure of fame involved in some type of violent crime should be banned from all types of publicity.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ju stab urden
Any artist (be it a rapper, a rock star, a pop singer, or an actor) or figure of fame involved in some type of violent crime should be banned from all types of publicity.

Ladies and Gentlemen

This will never work. The First Amendment has been so perverted that rappers have free reign and the religious have been muzzled. The only way to stop these thugs is for the people to stop buying their products, but that's not going to happen in a thousand years.

I'm still laughing so hard I can't type straight.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Wow, he didn't even mention the studio and production company "Death Row"

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Ladies and Gentlemen

This will never work. The First Amendment has been so perverted that rappers have free reign and the religious have been muzzled. The only way to stop these thugs is for the people to stop buying their products, but that's not going to happen in a thousand years.

I'm still laughing so hard I can't type straight.

Okay, stopping people from buying their product may not be possible, but then why not prevent these products from even being produced and released in the first place?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
HipHop and violence is an unfair generality.......though violence in the hiphop world exists, how many barfights occur with country music on the jukebox? I think violence is an across the board occurence.....no need to single out hiphop.......

What about a ban on all violence/musicians? Oh yeah, that may be an infringement on rights because we already have a system set up to deal with illegalities........

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I agree something needs to be done about this, the amount of young people I see imitating this s@#t now and thinking they're cool doing vile things is rediculous.

However, I don't believe in censorship so I think the only solution is instead of music bosses thinking about the big bucks and actually paying boat loads so these guys can act like morons, they should throw them off their labels and show to youngsters that they're not cool when they're in the gutter and broke.

Let's face it, except for a handful of them (who are genuinely good) most of them are talentless wankers ripping off classic songs, sticking a crappy drum machine over it, and adding choice words such as "bitches, money, gangsta, pop a cap" e.t.c. to it.

If youngsters see these nincompoop waving their money about in their videos e.t.c, treating the women like dirt and them loving it then of course they're going to think it's cool and easy. Banning them will not help, it will worsen it. Banning things only breeds more curiosity for people to see/hear something. Any film, song e.t.c. that has been banned has always been helped by it, it's not the way to go.

If they get up to crime have them kicked off the label, rather than them being paid and obscene amount of money for having attitude and no talent, then let the youngsters see where they end up. Hopefully that'll solve the problem although it'll never happen.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear Al Sharpton is taking a step forward to challenge the rap industry. It's about time someone took a stand. Rap has become a pointless, brainless, illiterate, unchallenged form of music. I never thought there'll be a day I would say something like this. I'm glad that I witnessed rap when it was a art form, rappers made songs with messages (including NWA single " Express Yourself") and rap had a meaningful movement & soul.

Back to the subject, I agree with Sharpton 75%. I don't agree with the ban. Banning music or any other form of art & literature is a 'Nazi book burning act' which is a no no. Art is a way of expression and every artist should have that right. Eventhough most people don't think most art isn't art, all art should be tolerated. 50 cent has every right to express himself on records. It's 50 cent who will deal with the consequences for his actions. If he want to live as a gangster, live the thug life, you cannot stop him. Let him do so. I'm not going to knock him for it. I won't buy his records. I think the black community got alot of things we need to fix before buying a 50 cent record. Why should I listen to the same subjects over and over from 50 diffrent rappers? I heard all the death, being poor, jewels & cash, bad women, living the $$ life, beef with others, murder, ego trip, crew stories that'll last me a lifetime. It was all done before. Rap has been around for two or more decades and this is all rappers can say? How about rap songs about a solution to all the old subjects or attack the real problem in society, the lack of togetherness. I think my two cents is worth more than 50 cents.

Anyway, I believe all rappers who're involved in violent acts, drug charges and etc should have there passport revoked, banned from the airwaves, no publicity, national tours only with heavy security at all times and sign a half record contract agreement (depending on label agreement). Make this permanent. A 90 day ban isn't enough.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Not for nothing, but if anyone other than al sharpton had proposed this (thats right Im gonna say it!), there'd be shouts of censorship and cutlural imperialism.

Now, of course, since its comming from Al, it can't really be cultural imperialism, but, nevertheless, the position itself is inherently logical, and that shouldn't have to change depending on who said it.

Anyway, if you're going to ban violent rappers who commit acts of violence publically, why not just, er, ban violent rappers altogether?

I have to say, this would be censorship, what Sharpton proposes, and can't be made into actual law. The only punishment should be, well, legal criminal punishment. Send the offenders to jail.

just like with little kim. She lied to a grand jury. About a shooting. To help the shooters. And people act like she is being hassled. Send her to jail. It'll be great for her career. Who's going to muck with 'lil kim in jail anyway? Thats like shug night being scared to go to prison or something.

And for all those who don't know, this is little kim:

so is this

Apparently she had a brief stint as an undercover agent in afghanistan, but I don't think it worked out too well

Ha, I'm just kidding, everyone knows who she is right? Ok, say goodby little kim

Oh, and this is her too

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aceface1965
It's about time someone took a stand. Rap has become a pointless, brainless, illiterate, unchallenged form of music.

That is false....your assessment is biased....now, remember, I'm no fan of rap music, but I did run through a documentary on the The Notorious B.I.G., and have listened to the more popular artists of today. I was very impressed with their command of the english language......you sir, may want to look up the word 'illiterate', because that is not displayed in hiphop.........now repetitive and maybe sometimes focused too much on violence(that trend is actually changing if you have any passing notice of the industry), well...........

Anyway, I believe all rappers who're involved in violent acts, drug charges and etc should have there passport revoked, banned from the airwaves, no publicity, national tours only with heavy security at all times and sign a half record contract agreement (depending on label agreement). Make this permanent. A 90 day ban isn't enough.

Who is going to draw up the literature on this? The government?........too many infringements; lawyers will tear it up in court. The Music Labels?........money.....haven't you ever heard the phrase 'there isn't such thing as bad publicity'?

[ Originally posted by Aceface1965Why should I listen to the same subjects over and over from 50 diffrent rappers?

And finally........how many action movies have you seen? How many horror? How many sitcoms on T.V.? Reality shows?

Bummed to drop the block to you homes, but all of your favorite entertainment mediums are chock full of repetition as well.....alot of the same themes as rap......just presented different. There ain't a word 'formulaic' for nothin'.

MemoryShock Out. Peace.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
posted on 15-3-2005 at 07:48 PM

quote: Originally posted by Aceface1965
It's about time someone took a stand. Rap has become a pointless, brainless, illiterate, unchallenged form of music.

That is false....your assessment is biased....now, remember, I'm no fan of rap music, but I did run through a documentary on the The Notorious B.I.G., and have listened to the more popular artists of today. I was very impressed with their command of the english language......you sir, may want to look up the word 'illiterate', because that is not displayed in hiphop.........now repetitive and maybe sometimes focused too much on violence(that trend is actually changing if you have any passing notice of the industry), well...........

Hello Memory Shock,

Before I respond to your quote, here's the definition or the specific meaning of the word, illiterate. Illiterate: not educated, unable to comprehend basic fundamentals such as reading and writing.
I don't find my statement or assessment biased. It's only a opinion. Most opinions don't have room for debate unless it's declared a fact. I don't believe I made this subject in no means a fact to be challenged.
I've been a hip hop fan since 1978, when I got my first mix tape from a kid at school. Through the years, I collected over thousands hip hop mix tapes, 12 inches and albums. My collection goes from 1978 to 2005. I believe I heard it all. Right now, I'm supporting the underground hip hop scene. Why? The underground scene kept hip hop pure. It's not about the glitz or ignorant songs to make a quick million. It's about the basic elements of hip hop- graffiti, break dancing (B-Boy'in), D.J'ing and rapping- making sure the four elements of the culture don't fade away. Nas, Common, Jay Z and a few others are the only rappers being true to the real game of rap. Yes, there's violence in the music. Violence is everywhere on planet earth. It's how violence is projected in society. Talking about violence or acting out a scene of violence is different from actual acting out a violent act in real life. It's like fiction or nonfiction. People should know the difference. Especially if you consider yourself a grown adult. Maybe society should differentiate violence?

Who is going to draw up the literature on this? The government?........too many infringements; lawyers will tear it up in court. The Music Labels?........money.....haven't you ever heard the phrase 'there isn't such thing as bad publicity'?

In most countries, the literature is already drawn by government. If you've been convicted of a crime, suspect in any violent acts, broken the law, counts have been drawn against you anywhere in the world- most countries will deport you back to your native country, they can deny your passport, warrant your arrest. Our government can revoke passports or any other government issued documents (especially passports). They did it during the cold war, Ali's protest against the Vietnam war and other events. Publicity? Publicity can go far until the people speak. Especially if the publicity is either dangerous or harming society. There are limits in publicity. HHHMMMMMM, ,,,,....! If this nonsense in rap continues, most rappers won't have much of a option to choose from. Some countries have started to proceed with the rap ban. The law of our land don't work everywhere.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

If this nonsense in rap continues, most rappers won't have much of a option to choose from.

How many of these artists are at the top of the charts?

How much money is made because of the influence these artists have?

.I apologize if I offended you in any way........you are correct in that my positioning of your opinion as a fact stated was misguided.

Maybe society should differentiate violence?

Could I get you to expand on this?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
HipHop and violence is an unfair generality.......though violence in the hiphop world exists, how many barfights occur with country music on the jukebox?

There are some bar fights that occur while a country song is playing but most of the time it's just a fist fight. The song itself doesn't perpetuate violence. Never have I heard Waylon say anything about shooting cops, or drive bys, or beatin' my hoes...ect. Because these are mostly black men saying these lyrics, a pc brainwashed society (NOW) has turned a blind eye to what is basicaly a raping of the black community.

Who pays for it? The black community. Who gets stereortyped? The black community. Ever wonder why some no talent like m@m gets so famous so fast? Maybe because somebody suggested that the white producers in Hollywood were purpousely pushing these "gansta rappers" to keep them where they belong and still get rich? So maybe they had to come up with a "golden boy" to disspell these rumours? Now I don't profess to be a big rap fan and alot of folks on here can attest to my disbelief in conspyracies, but why was the dyed blonde hairdo so popular amongst white boys? Aryan? Even a good aryan could apreciate a good rap?

Me, I say if a black person wants to rebel. Listen to some Waylon. You'd definitely be a rebel.

As far as Sharpton goes? A piece af crap that sees which way the wind is blowing.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
notbuynit - It is agreed that hiphop promotes violence. My point was that violence happens across the board in every genre and it was an unfair 'honing in' on a stereotype that Al Sharpton committed.

If violence is such a concern, then there are many avenues by which it can be addressed. Attacking an entertainment niche and suggesting ludicrous(pun not intended) changes as if they had a chance in hell of being discussed seriously, much less implemented, is inciteful and irresponsible of a supposed leader.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
No need to apologize. You have quoted good points. I do agree with most of your comments.
If this nonsense in rap continues, most rappers won't have much of a option to choose from.

Sorry for not being more specific. The rap ban issue is becoming a big movement across the world. A friend of mine from Australia told me there is a rap ban movement going on. Now you have Canada getting involved and some European nations thinking about it. I haven't received any feedback about the ban rap issue from my associates over seas yet. My resources isn't a proved fact until I do my research.
Anyway, you ask how many of these artist at the top of the charts going to have problems with the ban? My opinion, a lot of rap artist. I don't think money or how big artist popularity will bend the rules once it's placed. Let's remember Jerry Lee Lewis marriage to his second cousin. Jerry Lee Lewis had 3 singles charted in the top 10 in 1957 and a #1 single. How about Alan Freed , the best radio disc jockey of all time, Ray Charles in Georgia, The Beatles in the southern states or The Beatles in Minneapolis, MN, Bill Haley & his Comets in London and so on. The list goes on. They were all banned. Alan Freed was banned from radio and promoting venues. Some of these artist I listed didn't have much of a option to continue showcasing the arts. Being banned can hurt a artist. Artist depend on tours to pay off business fees or to earn a few dollars to get over in life. Record sales isn't enough pocket money. Even if your record is double platinum, you got a lot of people to pay back. That is why tours are important to artist. If a artist is banned from a country, even one city ban could take a big chunk from the numbers to earn. Plus, the tour fees and staff fees must be paid. Sharpton has options. He can support a rap ban by each state or go all the way with the ban @ capitol hill. However it goes, I believe the ban will be coming soon. All it takes is a handful of signatures, a strong following and friends in government to look over the bill presented by fed up citizens.

top topics

join