It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because Armchair Grumbling Accomplishes Nothing

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have made a few off comments that I have been doing some extracurricular activity and that I would write up a thread about it. Mudpit because of the main subject matter gets under some people’s skin and they are going to howl about it.

The ongoing actions in Virginia were a wake up call for many across the country. Seventeen states have passed some variation of a Red Flag Law with twenty one more states with pending legislation working its way through the process. Even the NRA passively supports Red Flag Laws on the surface. Virginia went way, way too far with companion bills including a redefinition of “Assault Weapon” to any semi-automatic that holds more than ten rounds in a detachable magazine.

On December 22, 2019, I was invited to join a private group on Facebook called Ohio Stands United. At the time of my joining there were less than one hundred members. There are 54,649 members at the the time of this writing and that number continues to rise.

This group was formed specific to Ohio with the standing goal of initiating Second Amendment Sanctuaries in as many of Ohio’s 88 counties as possible. Currently six of the 88 (Clermont, Lawrence, Jackson, Meigs, Pike and Scioto) counties have passed their resolutions. Another forty have had local meetings and are at various stages of progress towards passage. Now it is important to note that a resolution is nothing but a simple declaration and only takes a vote of two of the three County Commissioners in the county to adopt it.

But enough with the group itself and its mission. That is not the point of the thread. The point is that we have organized over 54,000 people in just over a month. Rather than just being another lobbying group like Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Gun Owners Association and the National Rifle Association (all of whom are either supporting some of the bills or are not actively participating) we are a true grassroots group with no membership dues nor operating budget. And one of the above groups has appealed to a county that passed the resolution to rescind it.

With Ohio’s laws our little nobody group is capable of introducing legislation or amendments to the Ohio Constitution directly to the voters to decide, bypassing the State government process entirely. By simply gathering signatures, a minimum of our own plus four more each. It is within the realm of possibilities of just our own within the next six months at this pace. Already politicians running against incumbents are asking for casual endorsements and promoting their platforms to solicit votes.

A mere 37 days has yielded all this. No budget. No fees. Just people getting off their chairs and communicating. The way things are supposed to happen in the American system of government. Just like the early conversations in churches and taverns that formed this country. Imagine that.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

As an Ohioan by birth and former resident, I am proud of the good folks of the rural counties getting after this important step!

Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland munincipalities/ counties will be the issue, just like in the elections...

Gee I wonder why they want to get rid of the electoral college?
edit on 27-1-2020 by BlueJacket because: oh lord spelling abysmal

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Not a fan of guns (European) but I applaud your efforts of actually doing something instead of complaining about it on the interwebs..

Peace
edit on 27-1-2020 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Instead of virtue signaling, you actually did something.

You are literally Hitler!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Hamilton County Commissioners (Cincinnati) have pretty much said no way at all, no need to even talk to us when Clermont passed. 700WLW has been pretty much against it from what I have been told. But showed up to a recent meeting to learn more. I guess I am going to have to get Bill Cunningham fired up about it like I did with the E-bomb back in 2001 by explaining how easy it was to build.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Hamilton County Commissioners (Cincinnati) have pretty much said no way at all, no need to even talk to us when Clermont passed. 700WLW has been pretty much against it from what I have been told. But showed up to a recent meeting to learn more. I guess I am going to have to get Bill Cunningham fired up about it like I did with the E-bomb back in 2001 by explaining how easy it was to build.
Indeed the True American Bill is one of the only voices left. 700wlw had gone left of center for some time, we moved to Oregon just over a year ago from Miami County...its a bigger fight here, I may have to ask your advice on getting this movement in place here.
edit on 27-1-2020 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It was for us looking at the documents that had been used in both Virginia and Kentucky already and adopting them for Ohio and Ohio counties. From there looking at how resolutions are introduced and passed at the county level. Starting the group as a private group to hedge out (but not eliminate) dissenters to the idea.

From there it took on a life of its own with a peak of 2000+ joining per day after a couple weeks of likeminded friends inviting likeminded friends. Moderating to posts has been the hardest part and I am happy not doing that as I get enough here. Setting up the formula for people to turnkey in their own home county is how it works.

And surprise, the guy that started it all is in my home county and thus far it has not passed here as the commissioners wanted the county prosecutor to read it over first to yea, nay or suggest changes. So we are at a hold there for a bit as the prosecutor wants the sheriff on board 100% who has a little something he wants out of one the state laws proposed. But there is some flexibility in there as a resolution is not law nor absolute policy.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

The beauty is that any subject can go through such a process.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Just.... Brava.

Congratulations on becoming the change that needs to happen!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   
And people like maps. Green counties passed the resolution. Blue counties are in process. White counties may or may not have scheduled meetings, just have not informed the administrators of status updates. Accurate as of today.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Thank you, I'll take this to the my local gun club and see if we are doing anything.

Looks like you lit a fire.
ETA:
So I checked and must of missed it...Jackson County went sanctuary in Dec.

I am very late to the party 13 of 33 have gone sanctuary already, with many more to follow.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Supposed to be accurate as of January 19, 2020. But I don’t know where the source gathers that information although it does show three Ohio counties which seems correct.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Be good to see lucas go green on that map.
Id be interested in joining the group, im not very active on FB, but i do check it occasionally.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Just read the words of a Preble County Commissioner. Should go to vote on Wednesday or next Monday and two have expressed that they are definitely for the resolution. So it is moving across the southern part of Ohio fairly well.
edit on 27-1-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Wow glad I live in Kansas. But none the less we somehow elected a Democrat governor an Democrat Congress woman things could change in a hurry. I belong to a private gun club will attend February meetings for updates. Two of are counties are full of entitlement seekers or Democrats and those two counties are the most densely populated.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

Both West Virginia and Missouri have pending bills that would overturn al past, present and future Federal laws, like 1934, 1968 and 1986 the way they are worded right now. Which means imported mail order full automatics made after 1986 would be legal by State law there if passed and signed into law.

Smoke some of that ATF.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Supposed to be accurate as of January 19, 2020. But I don’t know where the source gathers that information although it does show three Ohio counties which seems correct.

Where do I sign?

I'll press hard too - in case we're making 3 copies.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well it didn’t take Columbus long to try something. This was pointed out today by someone in the group. Seems some edits were made to a bill introduced back in June. But no mention as to when they were edited. See here

It’s interesting. Originally written as a means to defund places that were “Sanctuary Cities for illegal immigrants” but all the strikethroughs wiped that out.

So now it is specifically “Sanctuary Cities” that shield terrorists, unlawful actions, disruption of the public safety and peace.

With a few twists of the words, that would be us. As the Resolutions are a statement of defiance and deference to laws that are unconstitutional, but have yet to have been struck down as officially unconstitutional by the courts.

However a resolution is just a statement and not a point of policy nor actual law. So they could try with this, but it could be defeated in court providing the court heard it.

On the whole, scaremongering. They have seen what organization has done and are aware that we know what we can do. That’s my take on it.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Vinton County (between Jackson and Meigs) has passed. 7/88 now.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Preble County passed today. 8/88 only 80 more to go.

ETA: Make that 9, Clinton County passed as well today.
edit on 29-1-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

top topics

join