It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Throw Away Your Electric Can Opener

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Exactly,
We should do a public go fund me to R and D laser can openers.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
We got rid of the electric can opener at least thirty years ago and used a crank manual can opener since then. I did notice that there is less fine metals with the manual, but that is not the worst part. It is way harder to clean the electric can opener cutter than the manual canopener which we just wash every time we use it. We noticed it was just as hard to use the electric one as it was to use the manual too. So we got a good quality crank can opener. The other canopener just sat on the counter taking up room too. The regular canopener goes in the back of the drawer behind the silverware.

I thought about the crud on the can opener if you forgot to take out the head and the wife and I both agreed it was a food poisoning risk. So she went to the store shopping, one of her favorite things, and bought the canopener and it has been in use all along for over thirty years. It does not save time to have an electric canopener. A good quality manual one works just as fast and is easier to clean.

I doubt if the shavings you are seeing are all just metal from the can, I think that the food left on the opener is corroding the canopener and what you are seeing might actually be toxic byproducts of bacteria, that is what we concluded before we bought the manual one.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

It always looked too novel to work... But I'm interested to here someone vouch for it.

I rarely use a can opener, so I wouldn't want one either batteries... I try and do fresh food when I can, and the rare occasion I do use them they're usually pop top.

As for the metal shavings, that doesn't concern me personally. I'm sure we all consume more than we think. If we don't brake it down, I'm sure we pass it... As much hot sauce as I eat, I likely wouldnt be able to tell you if my woes come from shavings. I'll be bleeding either way.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Any issues regarding miniscule iron/steel fillings would manifest in the throat, mouth or stomach, the stomach should dissolve them. Aluminium I'm not so sure but I imagine any issues if it wouldn't dissolve would be in the small intestine or anywhere before that.

I don't think it's an issue.

Cheap tin openers... A few people mentioned how terrible they are these days. Check where they come from they're made from shoddy metal and are usually mass produced imports. It's really worth paying good money for a good tin opener unless you want to replace the darn thing every 6 months or so.

People know the value of good kitchen knives but most people won't give a tin opener a second thought, I know a lot of people with like 6 in their kitchen. My mum is one of them.
edit on 27-1-2020 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I keep mine in my wallet so it is always with me just in case.

That said, the only canned anything should be in a mason jar if you really care about what you eat. But that is another topic.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Get an electric "safe-cut" or "safety" can opener.

As others on the thread have pointed out, it has no blade and doesn't cut into the top of the lid... it unrolls the seam from the bottom.

No metal shards.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

No sweat, stomach acid has you covered.

You can lead a horse to water but

Some horses need to have their head held down

Your obvious simple and logical answer should have just ended the thread but, well, you know, people

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux
That is a good post. You provided documentation to support proven observations. Thank you for the information concerning metal in the stomach. It is, actually, comforting to know. And now we can look at the poly-carbons in the sprayed in inner linings.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   

The can opener has been around way longer than baby seats. Those lawsuits were because of actual deaths. I have not seen a death associated with can opener shavings. It's not possible unless it's some thick shard of metal. It's highly highly improbable.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

It always looked too novel to work... But I'm interested to here someone vouch for it.

I rarely use a can opener, so I wouldn't want one either batteries... I try and do fresh food when I can, and the rare occasion I do use them they're usually pop top.

Yeah it's battery powered, you just drop it on top of the can, push the button, and let it go. Works like a champ!

As for the metal shavings, that doesn't concern me personally. I'm sure we all consume more than we think. If we don't brake it down, I'm sure we pass it... As much hot sauce as I eat, I likely wouldnt be able to tell you if my woes come from shavings. I'll be bleeding either way.

I've been thinking on that part - if anyone would have adverse effects from ingesting metallic particles it would be me. My father owned a precision grinding business and I literally grew up in it. Back in the 70's and early 80's there wasn't any health regulations to speak of and the air in there was thick with steel, carbide, and tons of grinding wheel dust. On top of that, his employees were mostly ex Navy men who alternated between chainsmoking and cussing. I learned to silver solder before I hit my teens and that was before cadmium was removed from the solder. At the end of the day I would literally blow black snot out of my nose!
As such I have a hard time getting worked up about a few metal shavings in my Spaghetti-O's

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

This is the only can opener you will ever need. It is also sold on amazon for less than 9 bucks but I didnt want to link that site. It is a Japanese can opener (Ganji Kankiri).
It is what I use at work. It stays sharp a long long time.

The perfect can opener

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I imagine the shavings could do immediate physical harm.... But past that most metals are safe, and we consume quite a bit, hell, iron is essential.

Some metals are bad though, aluminum is no Buenos.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
wrong thread
edit on Mon Jan 27 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Every body is a comedian...and self proclaimed scientists ... I get ya brother... But also know the can leeches into contents regardless..a reply to: CharlesT

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why not use a gear driven non electric model?

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

No sweat, stomach acid has you covered.

No idiots, stomach acid will break it down and the metal will be absorbed into you blood stream where is bad for your health. Can metal has been known as toxic. Why is there a thing for electric can opener. Waste of battery, electricity, and space.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I think we can safely say that this opener shavings conspiracy is somehow masterminded by Trump.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

What is the toxic component of “can metal”?

Iron poisoning

Toxic dose
The amount of iron ingested may give a clue to potential toxicity. The therapeutic dose for iron deficiency anemia is 3–6 mg/kg/day. Toxic effects begin to occur at doses above 10–20 mg/kg of elemental iron. Ingestions of more than 50 mg/kg of elemental iron are associated with severe toxicity.[9]

A 325-mg tablet of ferrous sulfate heptahydrate has 65 mg (20%) of elemental iron
A 325-mg tablet of ferrous gluconate has 39 mg (12%) of elemental iron
A 325-mg tablet of ferrous fumarate has 107.25 mg (33%) of elemental iron
200 mg ferrous sulfate, dried, has 65 mg (33%) of elemental iron
In terms of blood values, iron levels above 350–500 μg/dL are considered toxic, and levels over 1000 μg/dL indicate severe iron poisoning.[10]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-1-2020 by neutronflux because: Added links

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Use a KA-BAR.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join