It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on N95face respirators please.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

Yes, if I had to wear one it would only be to pop out on a shopping trip. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

Well I've managed to aquire about 10 of the basic ones, two washable ones with extra filters are on the way, and I may have two 3M N95's at work. Every little helps. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well the way people are treating this is interesting, during SARS we never sold out of N95 masks, I got to work today and every brand in every style was gone sold out over the weekend.

People need to be more concerned with the seal, a cheap N95 usually doesn't have the best seals.
A professional fit test is important.

What is a Respirator Mask Fit Test?A Respirator Mask Fit Test is conducted to ensure the respirator is properly fitted to an individual’s face type to provide the safest protection. Typically there are 2 types of tests that can done, known as a Qualitative test or a Quantitative test.A Qualitative Respirator Mask Fit Test is the most common type of test and covers most of the regularly used workplace masks such as N95, half face and full face respirators. The test involves the taste sensitivity of the person being tested and can be applied to any type of mask that does not have its own separate air supply.The Quantitative Respirator Mask Fit Test requires the use of a Portacount or a Quantafit machine to measure the safety of the mask via the fixed air supply. It does not rely on the test sensitivity of a subject but rather it provides a fit factor safety measurement.Both types of Respirator Mask Fit Test must be conducted at least every 2 years and should be done sooner if the wearer has gained weight, lost weight or has grown facial hair since their previous test. The tests can only be performed by a qualified instructor.An important fact to know when wearing masks of any kind is that you are only as safe as your mask. This means that the wearer is responsible for correctly wearing the mask and should always be aware if something does not seem to fit right. Workplace environments have the potential to be life threatening so always make sure your mask fits correctly.

edit on 27-1-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Yes, I've noted your quotes about seals. I'm not sure a lot of people would bother reading fitting/testing instructions. Me, I'm the type who'll sit and read the manual for anything new I buy. That includes stuff I've used all my life. I bought a new kettle a couple of weeks ago. A kettle! But still read the book that came with it.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The disposable 3M N95 mask without a valve is very uncomfortable and difficult the breathe through. If you get the 3M disposable mask get the type with the valve and the mesh around the edges of the mask (a bit more comfortable).

Are you going to be wearing these routinely or just in an absolute crisis situation? The masks that you see the majority of the population in China wearing don’t really offer any viral protection. They are comfortable as masks go but they are designed more for pollution and pollen than for viral protection.

If you are getting these for a crisis / quarantine situation I would consider getting get a re-usable P100 (made of rubber and covers the nose and mouth) with filters that can be replaced. These are a bit bulkier but They are much more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. The look silly - but they work. Kids won’t comply with wearing a mask that is uncomfortable or difficult to breathe through.

Sizing is important with all of the masks - without a solid seal the mask won’t work effectively.

There are also full face masks with a built in fan and exchangeable filters and some even have built in straws for hydration. The fan pulls in filtered outside air - very easy to breathe in. The full face masks are expensive and unfortunately your kids would rapidly outgrow them...best reserved for an adult who would have to go out to obtain supplies in a biological disaster situation.

a reply to: MissBeck

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy
That's the trouble with whats going on. I've got a fair supply of the N95 masks, but I don't want to go over board if this doesn't turn into a serious situation, then your stuck with all these masks your not going to use right away. But then on the other hand hold off too long and you've basically shot yourself in the foot for preparing for it. I'm gonna roll the dice and hold off a week before I look into getting a couple 3M P100 reusable masks with the replaceable filters.
But your right about the mask size, too big and you won't get a good seal.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

I have actually purchased 2 different sorts now, and found a third sort from work. I bought a half face respirator with filters, then some of the little white n95's with elastic, but mine don't have the valve, and I found some bog standard face masks with the metal strip over the top. Not sure they'd be much use as we use them when doing woodwork, but better than nothing.

I also found a great page that explains about different masks as well on a site called 'theprepared.com'.

Face masks explained

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

Absolutely. I've been told by many that it's the seal that's important, not so much the type of mask. Blue_Jay33 posted a good source of information a few posts above about fitting masks properly.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So what have people been buying?

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

I've got a few of N95 masks. But thinking seriously of getting a couple reusable P100 respirators. This isn't seeming to go away like I'd hoped.
edit on 14-2-2020 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

I've got a few of N95 masks. But thinking seriously of getting a couple reusable P100 respirators. This isn't seeming to go away like I'd hoped.

Where are you buying from

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The Lowes in my area Central NY is where I got some. Same with my local Walmart had that's the key word some but they are out now. I should say the ones I get are the 3M masks. Walmart online still has some though they are on back order and will ship them soon as they come in.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I went into my local little hardware store Monday. Now I live in a little rural village in Staffordshire in the UK. I know the owner really well as his daughter and my daughter are good friends at school, so I asked him if next time he went to the warehouses, to look for some masks for me as he normally gets me stuff at cost price. He said yeah, no problem, they all stocked PPE stuff and would grab me some.

Well, I went in today to see what he had managed to get me. He looked at me gobsmacked, telling me how the two main warehouses he uses, which are normally fully stocked, were sold out of every type of mask they normally sell. They didn't even have half and full mask respirators left. I laughed and told him I wasn't surprised, but asked him to keep checking for me.

My point is, if you are planning to prep, or get masks, try to get them now as even though it's not a big deal yet here in the UK, stocks are thinning already.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321
The Lowes in my area Central NY is where I got some. Same with my local Walmart had that's the key word some but they are out now. I should say the ones I get are the 3M masks. Walmart online still has some though they are on back order and will ship them soon as they come in.

Thanks for the reply, think I am going to look into those cheaper whole body suits...they are white with some type of mask

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Ok so you're not going to wear your mask/goggles full time if TSHTF. Only when you go outside.
Right?

What if the contagion is airborne?
Is your house and vehicle air tight? What will you do for an air supply at home?
If law and order breaks down, how will you protect your airtight home with clean/filtered air supply? Because if people go looting after a cyclone/hurricane/bushfire, they'll be doing that and a lot worse if there's a major pandemic that sees law and order break down.

Having said that, Ive got half a dozen 3M full face respirators in packaging still.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mortex

Having said that, Ive got half a dozen 3M full face respirators in packaging still.

Same here, only I got this message on a recent order:

The reason for this cancellation was based on a sales restriction for the item(s) shown below. Due to the Coronavirus impact, we are reaching out to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your order at this time due to a global inventory shortage.

My order was for a box of twenty disposable N95 masks from Grainger. Checked a couple other places and same story, all out. Not worried worried but being cautious. Just going to keep fingers crossed that this'll blow over.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

They're a handy thing to have around anyway regardless of pandemic virus outbreaks

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join