It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Congressional DVD Family Filter Bill Moves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Technology that would allow parents to filter out curse words, sex scenes and violence out of movie DVDs got a boost today from congress. The House Judiciary Committee has endorsed legislation that would create an exception in copyright laws to allow for it. Hollywood studios and directors had sued to prevent the technology citing copyright violations.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - A bill that would let parents and children filter the curse words, sex scenes and violence out of movie DVDs moved closer to approval by Congress on Wednesday.

The House Judiciary Committee on voice vote gave the legislation its endorsement, sending it to the full House.

The Senate passed the bill earlier this year. If representatives now pass it without changes, it would go to President Bush for his signature.

The legislation was introduced because Hollywood studios and directors had sued to stop the makers and distributors of technology for DVD players that would skip movie scenes deemed offensive. The movies' creators had argued that changing the content would violate their copyrights.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am troubled by this and other legislation designed to "protect" families. While its obvious that some parents are simply unable to raise their children in a proper manner, should we be turning control of it over to the government? The concept of personal responsibility is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Now if you screw up, you sue. A piece of technology will never substitute for a parent period no matter how good the intentions are.

[edit on 3/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
As long as one could turn it off/on and set parameters, I don't have a problem with it... Similar to the V-chip. Many movies have just a few such instances that when removed, would be perfectly suitable to a younger audience. The control wouldn't be governmental, it'd be where it belongs, in the hands of the parents...to use or not use, as they see fit.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey, this makes for some awkward edits. I support the artists who oppose the bill. They worked hard to properly edit/cut the masterpiece. If the parents are nervous about the content, their children should wait till they grow up.

One exception: I propose to put this sort of filter on all rap albums, to exclude all references to drugs, sex and violence. Opps I guess there'll be some awkward edits

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
One exception: I propose to put this sort of filter on all rap albums, to exclude all references to drugs, sex and violence. Opps I guess there'll be some awkward edits

With rap you might just be left with some background base and few scattered words

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
How about an "Ozzie" filter? He could cuss all day long and we'd STILL have no idea what he's saying!

BTW, if you've never tried it, try watching the Osbournes with Closed Captioning, you can THEN understand it,

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
BTW, if you've never tried it, try watching the Osbournes with Closed Captioning, you can THEN understand it,

Dude I do that its really the only way
Man if there ever was an add for staying clean its the Ozz man

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How about an "Ozzie" filter? He could cuss all day long and we'd STILL have no idea what he's saying!

OMG!

I agree Ozzies should be completely filtered out. Hmm...

I actually don't watch much TV anyway save for educational channels and a little news.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
this is not about censorship. It's about allowing us to take control of what the Media and Hollywood crams in our face. It's about allowing us individual control over what we want to see and hear.

Curently, it is illegal for you to take a video, rip it, edit out what you don't like, and re-burn it. You've modified the content without their written permission. Now you won't get arrested, most likely, because there's no profit in it. Now, say you do this for a friend. Even if he has the original movie too, you're distributing. Heaven help you if you get a couple of bucks for your time and trouble.

Government will not be doing this procedure. Nor is this some federally mandated technological boondoggle like the "v chip". It's simply allowing a user of a product to do what he chooses with what he owns.

For example, the movie "Army of Darkness" starring Bruce Campbell. Hillarious, cheesy, campy movie. Perfect for normal ten year old boys (and their dads who still act like them). Except for one glaring problem.."Ash" comes back from rescuing the Necronomicon, and lets loose with a big ol' "get the # outta my face."

With a very simple edit, simply blanking that section of the vob, or drop in a dialog free section of score there. The re-authoring the whole thing. Instant real PG rating. But that's still illegal until this legislation passes.

I'll be doing the same for some great anime movies, and cut some totally unnecessary "fan service" panty shots and the kids will be able to watch the cealned up videos at will.

new topics

top topics

join