It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus, Herbs and the Cytokine Storm

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc
Here's a study dealing with Boswell and turmeric in relation to sepsis and cytokines
www.naturalmedicinejournal.com...

Andrographis
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
www.herbal-supplement-resource.com...

edit on Tue Jan 28 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I like that first one, it looks like it could help people with inflammatory lung diseases that could be prone to a more intensive pneumonia infection. That could definitely help me out since I have had issues in the past including battling bronchitis at the moment.

Reading through the second one now, I have not heard much about that one.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ok I'm just going to ask this. As it's been so long I need to update myself on the rules.. .But what about Cannabis? (It's legal here in Michigan And of course not smoking it).

I read this earlier and I know there have been studies on Cannabis and inflammation.

“The approach relies on the principle that the chemicals in marijuana known as cannabinoids have a dampening effect on the immune system. Melamede said doctors may be able to take advantage of this effect to curb the risk of death from the immune system overdrive that resulted in many of the deaths of young adults during the 1918 influenza pandemic — a scenario that some worry could occur once more if swine flu were to become more virulent.”

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

Yeah. I have had great luck with the boswellia....it is mixed with a small amount of black pepper extract.
I've also read that turmeric is not easily assimilated without also including black pepper extract[piperine]
FWIW, you can buy piperine separately.

Let me know what you think about the Andrographis .

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: misfit312

The study I link in my first post does mention cannabis.
However, personal use of pot, even medically, is NOT allowed on ATS.
Even if you live in a state where it is legal.

edit on Wed Jan 29 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thank you I couldn't remember it's been a while since I be really posted. I want sure if rules changed

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   
As mentioned, Boswellia is a great anti-inflammatory and antiviral. I mix it with coconut oil to help absorption.

boswellia

Astaxanthin, a red carotenoid pigment from marine animals is also a strong natural anti-inflammatory. The ex has had great results from this with carpal tunnel.

Even though astaxanthin is not as powerful as leading pharmaceutical anti-inflamamtories, it is found to be one of the strongest ones in nature. Several double blind, placebo controlled animal and clinical trials shows that astaxanthin naturally inhibits many of the known inflammation mediators, which eases inflammation and pain without the side effects.

astaxanthin

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This is the one that has me really interested though-

Lomatium, there is reports that the Washoe indian tribe had no deaths from Spanish flu due to this herb.

During the flu pandemic of 1917-1918, the root came into extensive use by the two Washoe Indian tribes near Carson City, Nevada. Dr. E.T. Krebs Sr., the contract physician who was assigned by the U.S.
government to the Washoe Indians, was dumbfounded to find that these two groups of Indians were free from respiratory illness and that no deaths had been attributed to the influenza “bug.”

The Super Natural Power of Lomatium

This bit is from a science abstract

Results: L. dissectum root aqueous extract at 1 µg/mL significantly inhibited CXCL10 secretion (P=0.043, Anova, Tukey HSD) and demonstrated maximal inhibition 6 h post poly i:c exposure. MTT cytotoxicity assay results suggest that this inhibitory effect was not due to extract-induced cytotoxicity.
Conclusion: The observation that L. dissectum extract inhibits CXCL10 secretion provides a plausible mechanism for the efficacy of L. dissectum in influenza treatment reported in ethnobotanical studies and case reports. L. dissectum may reduce morbidity and mortality associated with influenza and merits further research.

link

There is a not common side effect of a full body rash but if it kills the virus I'd not mind a rash.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: primalfractal

Interesting on that one
I've heard of it and used it very occasionally, not sure it helped or what I used it for ATM.....thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Just chiming in here as a Clinical Aromatherapist. I saw the mention of Boswellia. Boswellic Acid is present in the resin, but does not transfer over when distilled to the essential oil. HOWEVER, it does not make the Essential OIl any less anti-inflammatory and is a great oil that gets right down into the lower respiratory tract. It kills viruses and helps to expand the lungs making breathing easier.

Davana Essential Oil also ruptures the protein protective covering which covers viruses thus rendering them useless.

Thyme (Linalool) also kills the Strep and Staph amongst many others within the hour. It a;so goes for mutated viruses. I combined this with the Frankincense and used it one drop at a time on my grandmother's pillow when she had double pneumonia and had 20% chance of pulling through....she did.....she was 98.

Kunzea is another which clears any infections in the lung, including poisons that might have been inhaled due to smoke etc. Used it in a blend with the survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire and it is now in a blend they are distributing via inhalers in Australian fires.

Please do not go ahead and start making up your own concoctions as the Thyme in particular does have contraindications to use.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Well, since I don't know much about essential oils, would Davana Essential Oil be safe for anyone to use?

Isn't thyme used in the same way as oregano oil?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Well, since I don't know much about essential oils, would Davana Essential Oil be safe for anyone to use?

Isn't thyme used in the same way as oregano oil?

Thyme (Linalool the safest type) far out weighs Oregano in this case IMHO.
As to Davava, Only to be avoided by pregnant women and breast feeding is all we know so far...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

thanks.

Instead of using my pillow, would those essential oil pendant type things be of value?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Yes...just as long as the oils aren't touching your skin. Also be careful who you are wearing your pendant around for any length of time if they have any of the contraindications

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Thank you so much.
I will be careful.
AFAIK sage is the only common herb that is a concern.

Jane, why is the Linalool safer?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Linalool is a chemical compound. Excellent for killing off viruses/bacteria etc. Thyme Linalool makes the oil safer as it has much less of the other compounds that can cause problems and it gentler on the skin.

Keep in mind what you read about herbs, bith info on what they do and any contraindications will be similar but also very different in its EO format.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Is that because EOs are taken into the body via the respiratory system, which can be more fragile, versus the blood stream via the digestive system/liver?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Is that because EOs are taken into the body via the respiratory system, which can be more fragile, versus the blood stream via the digestive system/liver?

No
It's all about the Chemistry, besides application.
The oils get into the blood stream through the skin and olfactory routes....EO's should NEVER be ingested unless under the ABSOLUTE supervision of a Clinical Aromatherapist or somebody qualified in Aromatic Medicine.....not that they will be insured for this. I am trained in the ingestion of EO's as a Clinical Aromatherapist, but I will never get insurance cover for this. Please don't EVER ingest EO's....they will still go through the digestive and liver routes and finally the elimination system

Rainbows
Jane
edit on pm23America/ChicagoSaturday2020-02-01T15:06:48-06:0003America/Chicago02000000 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
sulfur based chemistry keeps the blood from gelling from hemoagglutination created by viruses.

So, looks like MSM and/or DMSO just got added to my list...

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
I am trained in the ingestion of EO's as a Clinical Aromatherapist, but I will never get insurance cover for this. Please don't EVER ingest EO's...

Can you clarify this?

Oregano oil comes in capsule form, obviously intended for oral ingestion, and I have taken a lot of it, sometimes in large doses, for a long time, and with no negative affects at all.

So... is it that there a difference between 'Oregano Oil', and Oregano EO? Or am I missing something?

Thanks...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join