It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Particles Spewing From Antarctica Defy Physics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Three times since 2016, ultra-high-energy particles have blasted up through the ice of Antarctica, setting off detectors in the Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna (ANITA) experiment, a machine dangling from a NASA balloon far above the frozen surface.

Neutrinos are the faintest particles we know about; they're difficult to detect and nearly massless. They pass through our planet all the time — mostly coming from the sun and rarely, if ever, colliding with the protons, neutrons and electrons that make up our bodies and the dirt beneath our feet.

But ultra-high-energy neutrinos from deep space are different from their low-energy cousins.

The more we think we understand about our universe, the more unanswered questions seemed to present themselves. It's both an exciting and frustrating time for physicists and those of us that are intensively interested in our universe. Of course I know the new discoveries really add to our knowledge & understanding of our universe, but there are also those discoveries that just leave you scratching your head - and saying "What?".

And any article about neutrinos, especially one that talks about neutrinos in Antarctica that are being measured by devices with names like "IceCube" and "ANITA", is a must read in my opinion.

So, I read it - and wasn't disappointed. See article below - I'm really interested in the opinions of our more physics astute members.

Enjoy!

Mysterio us Particles Spewing From Antarctica Defy Physics

edit on 1/24/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the particles but I think Einstein was a diversion to keep the world in a lower tech state so humans can keep control of the tech that would have been discovered (or is known by select few). Look over here while the really nutty stuff is over here but it is not for humanity as a whole just yet.

Anyway it would be cool if the particles were from some buried alien tech or something.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

It's much more convenient for us to be entertained and entrapped idiots, then to have access to reality.

That wouldn't be any fun for the rulers and writers of reality would it?

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

Three times since 2016, ultra-high-energy particles have blasted up through the ice of Antarctica, setting off detectors in the Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna (ANITA) experiment, a machine dangling from a NASA balloon far above the frozen surface.

Neutrinos are the faintest particles we know about; they're difficult to detect and nearly massless. They pass through our planet all the time — mostly coming from the sun and rarely, if ever, colliding with the protons, neutrons and electrons that make up our bodies and the dirt beneath our feet.

But ultra-high-energy neutrinos from deep space are different from their low-energy cousins.

The more we think we understand about our universe, the more unanswered questions seemed to present themselves. It's both an exciting and frustrating time for physicists and those of us that are intensively interested in our universe. Of course I know the new discoveries really add to our knowledge & understanding of our universe, but there are also those discoveries that just leave you scratching your head - and saying "What?".

And any article about neutrinos, especially one that talks about neutrinos in Antarctica that are being measured by devices with names like "IceCube" and "ANITA", is a must read in my opinion.

So, I read it - and wasn't disappointed. See article below - I'm really interested in the opinions of our more physics astute members.

Enjoy!

The title of the article might be a bit misleading, if people come away with the idea that Antarctica is somehow producing these mysterious particles. It's not. As I read the article, the particles originate in interstellar space; the detectors just happen to be located in Antarctica.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the particles but I think Einstein was a diversion to keep the world in a lower tech state so humans can keep control of the tech that would have been discovered (or is known by select few). Look over here while the really nutty stuff is over here but it is not for humanity as a whole just yet.

Anyway it would be cool if the particles were from some buried alien tech or something.

The Standard model should have died at 24 - 29 October 1927 Fifth Solvay International Conference on Electrons and Photons. Entanglement disproved materialism and after that Syncronicity (The Pauli effect) should have been researched and Materialism should have rejected. There are times when information exchange between 2 points happen on Quantum level thru entanglement without traveling thru any space between the points. This is why some people are able to emerge hidden things from their unconscious to their conscious.

To Quote Nikola Tesla.

“My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists.”

And it took around 90 Years after the conference for the Chinese to manufacture their entanglement Cryptation satellite.
www.sciencemag.org...

Very slow progress.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

The title of the article might be a bit misleading, if people come away with the idea that Antarctica is somehow producing these mysterious particles. It's not. As I read the article, the particles originate in interstellar space; the detectors just happen to be located in Antarctica.

OK Boomer.

But seriously, dropping logic and truth on any story mentioning both "mysterious particles" and "Antarctica" on a CT forum is not going to be popular, so I respect the stuffing out of you.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

The Standard model should have died at 24 - 29 October 1927 Fifth Solvay International Conference on Electrons and Photons. Entanglement disproved materialism and after that Syncronicity (The Pauli effect) should have been researched and Materialism should have rejected. There are times when information exchange between 2 points happen on Quantum level thru entanglement without traveling thru any space between the points. This is why some people are able to emerge hidden things from their unconscious to their conscious.

To Quote Nikola Tesla.

“My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists.”

And it took around 90 Years after the conference for the Chinese to manufacture their entanglement Cryptation satellite.
www.sciencemag.org...

Very slow progress.

Not according to new popular theories.
It is all about "prediction"

edit on 1/24/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Neutrino's are weakly interacting particles so they basically pass through normal matter and it's very rare that sometimes they leave a mark of their passing by.

Neutrino's can pass entirely through the Earth without any interactions.

Most of the neutrino's come from the Sun or other stars.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Oh you mean another buried AI? Might be sending burst messages to someone using those emissions.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Neutrinos are emitted by our sun and pass right through things, sometimes accumulating in the earths core. When solar activity goes low, the neutrinos are expelled at the poles from what I read. That was a while ago that I read about that. I do not remember all the facts on how it works. At any point in time there could be neutrinos passing through our bodies, they are not effected much by matter, they just fly right on through. Strange particles, just think ...thirty years ago scientists would probably laugh at us for talking about this.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Scientists must increasingly feel like they're running on a Hamster wheel.

Each time their hard work pays off with a "revelation", that revelation brings additional unknowns that must be researched.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This is interesting. I heard about this before but this is another update.

The article sounds a little dramatic about the standard model being "wrong" but it's well known that the standard model doesn't include whatever particle(s) is/are responsible for dark matter, so it's not like this is any bigger blow than dark matter.

In fact, there's a possibility that some portion of dark matter could be explained by whatever is being observed in Antarctica. One candidate for the Antarctica observations is "sterile neutrinos", which is also a candidate for dark matter seen on the left of this graphic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However even if further research confirms the Antarctica particles are sterile neutrinos, and even if they account for some portion of dark matter, I would suspect there may still be other dark matter particles yet to be discovered since it doesn't sound like enough of these mystery particles are being observed to fully account for dark matter observations.

originally posted by: carewemust

Scientists must increasingly feel like they're running on a Hamster wheel.

Each time their hard work pays off with a "revelation", that revelation brings additional unknowns that must be researched.

To me it seems more like the adventure of exploring the unknown. We answer one question and other questions pop up.

But I suppose not everyone is destined to become a scientist, especially those who see new discoveries and new mysteries as a hamster wheel. It's the people who see them as exploring the unknown that will find it interesting and exciting to find new mysteries to research.

For now, these mysterious particles detected in Antarctica may remain mysterious until the next generation of neutrino detectors is developed.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   
When first I read the article that sounded like the emissions of Neutrinos were coming from Antarctica itself. The first thing I thought of was the ancient structures thousands of feet under the ice I've been reading about for the last couple of years. Maybe an ancient accelerator or tech that had some function for the facility is involved. I wouldn't even fathom a guess as to what this could be, if not naturally occurring with fields around the planetary core it could be like an hourglass-shaped funneling field as particles from one pole fall into the planet, heat up the core but still travel out the other side. It's something to understand eventually. I expect what I never thought of before.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

originally posted by: Riffrafter

Enjoy!

The title of an article is misleading?

I'm shocked, I say.

Shocked.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

www.sciencemag.org...

Very slow progress.

Very interesting article!

I so love rabbit holes that get more & more interesting the further you explore...

And the 'net was *designed* for exactly this kind of "research", n'est pas?

Exciting times!

edit on 1/25/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well according to Spaceweather we're getting up to our all time high for the little fellas.
Maybe we're just detecting more as there are more?

Oulu Neutron Counts
Percentages of the Space Age average:
today: +10.2% Very High
7-day change: +0.3%
Max: +11.7% Very High (12/2009)
Min: -32.1% Very Low (06/1991)

Updated 25 Jan 2020 @ 0900 UT

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

The Standard model should have died at 24 - 29 October 1927 Fifth Solvay International Conference on Electrons and Photons.

LOL. There was no standard model back in 1927. It was developed in the early 1970. The standard model is a quantum field theory, so it includes quantum physics. And the chinese sat experiment does not in any way go against the standard model.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

In fact, there's a possibility that some portion of dark matter could be explained by whatever is being observed in Antarctica. One candidate for the Antarctica observations is "sterile neutrinos", which is also a candidate for dark matter seen on the left of this graphic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However even if further research confirms the Antarctica particles are sterile neutrinos, and even if they account for some portion of dark matter, I would suspect there may still be other dark matter particles yet to be discovered since it doesn't sound like enough of these mystery particles are being observed to fully account for dark matter observations.

Really interesting information & post - thank you.

The "research" continues...

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Seems appropriate that a thinking being eager to learn would evolve in a universe that appears to have an infinite amount of new things to discover.

top topics

join