It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Term Limits Advocate SHRED Congress! Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   
IMO this guy hit the nail on the head...There was nothing in his presentation which rang untrue to me. He list the reasons why there should be term limits for Congress and why you can not get an incumbent out of office without some act of god.. Anyway I found the video had some good points no matter what side of the isle you come from.

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Term limits are absolutely needed, but yeah, good luck getting career politicians to pass legislation that would effectively cost them their career in politics.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:38 AM
link   

self strangulation comes to mind. You need to be suicidal to attempt. Good thought. Wont work.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

self strangulation comes to mind. You need to be suicidal to attempt. Good thought. Wont work.

Many notable scientists around the world once said it would be impossible for humans to fly too (as in an aircraft) . How did that turn out?

It can happen and this thought is gaining popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if some people start running on this and getting elected.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

That's why this (term limits) should be something the population votes on.
Completely exclude those this would apply to and let the people decide if this is what they want. According to this guy it is.

Come to think of it, the population should be the ones to vote on a lot of things, but that's for another topic.

This was a great video that I am definitely going to pass on to a few people I know.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Many notable scientists around the world once said it would be impossible for humans to fly too (as in an aircraft) . How did that turn out?

You cant be serious ?

It can happen and this thought is gaining popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if some people start running on this and getting elected.

Hey...I'm not against it. You would need to have a whole new breed of enthusiastic politicians that are not in it for themselves...for their careers. I think there is fat chance of that gaining critical mass. Going into politics means power, and it attracts a certain breed of people.

But hey...you got my vote.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   

as has been said, the one's who vote on this, are the very one's who would be voting themselves out of a job. I think the framers screwed up on this one. Some vision would have been nice. But the guy giving the argument did a fantastic job.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
If you read the Articles of Confederation there was a soft term limit. They knew...and conveniently forgot when it came to the Constitution because they needed a stronger central government and didn’t want states to wait out enforcement of a policy with levels of appeals until the cheerleaders terms expired.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So can't we (the people) basically 'amend' the 22nd to include all federal elected officials?
OBVIOUSLY there would have to be a new amendment, but it could state the same term 2 limits for congressmen & senators, without the succession stuff.
Even so, it seems plausible that you'd still get career politicians: 2 House terms, 2 Senate terms (16 years)
then perhaps 2 VP terms & 2 POTUS terms (32 years total)

Term Limits
The Great Equalizer

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

This right here is the problem. They should have never had the ability to vote for this and they should not have the ability to vote themselves wage increases.

I have no doubt in my mind that if this was up to vote by the public there would no longer be term limits. I can also guarantee that most of the new representatives and senators would not be leaving the office as multi-millionaires as I think it would curb some corruption, not all, but some.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We need term limits, but we also need a voter education test.

Finally, I think there should be a way to vote against other politicians not in your district. For example, Nancy Pelosi is elected by the idiots in her district yet that hag affects all of us. Unfortunately, unless the people of San Fransicko wake up, we get stuck with that woman.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
So can't we (the people) basically 'amend' the 22nd to include all federal elected officials?
OBVIOUSLY there would have to be a new amendment, but it could state the same term 2 limits for congressmen & senators, without the succession stuff.
Even so, it seems plausible that you'd still get career politicians: 2 House terms, 2 Senate terms (16 years)
then perhaps 2 VP terms & 2 POTUS terms (32 years total)

Term Limits
The Great Equalizer

ganjoa

We can override congress / senate with a constitutional convention. The problem is that you have to get a certain number of states to agree IIRC and they aren't close to getting that to happen. The tentacles of the deep state run state governments too.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

If trump would run on this for 2020 it would help.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Come to think of it, the population should be the ones to vote on a lot of things, but that's for another topic.

Agreed.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Completely exclude those this would apply to and let the people decide if this is what they want. According to this guy it is.

This was a great video that I am definitely going to pass on to a few people I know.

This puzzles me as a British citizen.

Many have watched (and laughed at) the fact that something as serious as Brexit was left to the people to decide, but at the end of the day the people were, in fact, given the option to vote for or against.

Regardless of the optics, whether it has been good, bad or indifferent for the country, a Prime minister promised a vote, and a vote was held.

Now to my question: Is it not possible by some sort of executive action for a term limits referendum to be granted by someone, anyone, with power in the USA? Or will it forever be in the hands of the very same politicians who stand to lose the most by its removal?

I can't believe that the people who wrote your constitution and all the founding bases for the American system had in mind such a thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I was already planning on voting for him, but I think this would actually bring a lot of people over to that side of the table as well. Of course the conspiracy minded part of me says it would turn into a JFK thing then, which is a damn shame.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

originally posted by: ShadowLink

This puzzles me as a British citizen.

Many have watched (and laughed at) the fact that something as serious as Brexit was left to the people to decide, but at the end of the day the people were, in fact, given the option to vote for or against.

Regardless of the optics, whether it has been good, bad or indifferent for the country, a Prime minister promised a vote, and a vote was held.

Now to my question: Is it not possible by some sort of executive action for a term limits referendum to be granted by someone, anyone, with power in the USA? Or will it forever be in the hands of the very same politicians who stand to lose the most by its removal?

I can't believe that the people who wrote your constitution and all the founding bases for the American system had in mind such a thing.

I don't believe so. I also don't believe our founders had any idea our citizens would eventually become so willfully ignorant and allow this situation to happen. There is no reason for term limits but only if the citizens are properly educated and willing to exercise their rights.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Canadian citizen here so I'm afraid I'm not really qualified to answer your question.
Pretty sure I've read on ATS that their constitution can be amended but a majority of states must vote for it or something along those lines.

My guess is it would take the majority vote of the people, states or the President (with a lot of support) to have this changed cause it's unlikely to ever happen if left up to those who stand to lose their jobs.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I don't think he cares about term limits and wont ever do anything about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
We can override congress / senate with a constitutional convention.

And that would be the end of our Constitutional Republic.

Do you seriously - seriously - trust the current people in power with a constitutional convention?

No, the only rational way is through the only process that has been used to date - amendments proposed by Congress.

Sorry, but there is no other way if you want to keep our Constitution.
edit on 27-1-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join