It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates

page: 226
<< 223  224  225    227  228  229 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This shouldn't be a surprise it was in found SARS too. But here is an article on... hygiene

The coronavirus was detected in the loose stool of the first US case — a finding that hasn’t featured among case reports from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak

The discovery of the Wuhan virus, dubbed 2019-nCoV, in the fecal material of the 35-year-old man treated at the Providence Regional Medical Center Everett in Washington is “interesting," said Scott Lindquist, the state epidemiologist for infectious disease at Washington’s Department of Health.

“That adds to the knowledge about this," he told reporters on a conference call Friday. “It’s not only excreted in your respiratory secretions, it’s also secreted in your stool

Researchers don’t yet know how exactly 2019-nCoV spreads from person to person, but suspect it’s most likely from coming into contact with virus-containing droplets (Photo: Ruters)

Coronavirus lurking in feces may reveal hidden risk of spread

5 min read . Updated: 01 Feb 2020, 05:25 PM ISTJason Gale , Bloomberg

The coronavirus was detected in the loose stool of the first US case — a finding that hasn’t featured among case reports from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak

Diarrhea occurred in about 10-20% of patients afflicted with severe acute respiratory syndrome about 17 years ago and was the source of an explosive SARS outbreak

Topics

coronavirus

MELBOURNE : While doctors have focused on respiratory samples from pneumonia cases to identify coronavirus patients, they might have ignored a less apparent and hidden source of the spread: diarrhea.

The novel coronavirus was detected in the loose stool of the first US case — a finding that hasn’t featured among case reports from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak. However, that doesn’t surprise scientists who have studied coronaviruses, nor doctors familiar with the bug that caused SARS.

Diarrhea occurred in about 10-20% of patients afflicted with severe acute respiratory syndrome about 17 years ago and was the source of an explosive SARS outbreak in the Amoy Gardens residential complex in Hong Kong.

SARS and Wuhan viruses bind to the same distinctly shaped protein receptors in the body that are expressed in the lungs and intestines, making these organs the primary targets for both viruses, said Fang Li, an associate professor of veterinary and biomedical sciences at the University of Minnesota.

The discovery of the Wuhan virus, dubbed 2019-nCoV, in the fecal material of the 35-year-old man treated at the Providence Regional Medical Center Everett in Washington is “interesting," said Scott Lindquist, the state epidemiologist for infectious disease at Washington’s Department of Health.

“That adds to the knowledge about this," he told reporters on a conference call Friday. “It’s not only excreted in your respiratory secretions, it’s also secreted in your stool."

Researchers don’t yet know how exactly 2019-nCoV spreads from person to person, but suspect it’s most likely from coming into contact with virus-containing droplets that could be emitted by an infected person’s cough and transferred to their hands or surfaces and objects.

Face masks

That’s led to a run on face masks. But those may be of limited benefit in the event the virus is being transmitted via the fecal-oral route, said John Nicholls, a clinical professor of pathology at the University of Hong Kong.

Squat latrines, common in China, lacking covers and hands that aren’t washed thoroughly with soap and water after visiting the bathroom could be a source of virus transmission, said Nicholls, who was part of the research team that isolated and characterized the SARS virus.

A virus-laden aerosol plume emanating from a SARS patient with diarrhea was implicated in possibly hundreds of cases at Hong Kong’s Amoy Gardens housing complex in 2003. That led the city’s researchers to understand the importance of the virus’s spread through the gastrointestinal tract, and to recognize both the limitation of face masks and importance of cleanliness and hygiene, Nicholls said in an interview.

“I think in Wuhan, that would be a very likely place where you might get the transmission" from fecal material, he said. “If it’s using the same receptor as for SARS, I can’t see why it shouldn’t be replicating in the gut."

edit on 1-2-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

bnonews.com...

There are currently 12,027 confirmed cases worldwide, including 259 fatalities. Plus the one in USA brings the total to 12028 confirmed

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ragiusnotiel
twitter

The first instance of third-generation human to human transmission outside of China has been identified, in an individual who was exposed to a confirmed case from the cluster in Bavaria, Germany.

Is that right?

Yes it is....pretty normal and expectable...its a virus, just using common sense.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Updates on the Spanish cases, the ones that were evacuated from Wuhan yesterday.
Absolutely no problems as of now, which is very strange, considering they had been on Wuhan since January 30th at least during the whole thing went down.

shorturl.at/opBJO

They are going to be quarantined for 14 days counting from when they arrived on Spain.
edit on 1-2-2020 by Mateo96 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2020 by Mateo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ragiusnotiel

Yes, he's the one currently in La Gomera (Spain), he was in contact to the confirmed case in Bavaria prior to the 28th before taking the plane, then a ferry, and finally renting a car once in La Gomera.

The other 4 people he has been sharing a room and traveling with do not have the virus in their system as of now, they are all quarantined until the 14th or so.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Doh! Guys we forget the obvious... Super Bowl is tomorrow!!!

I don’t think US govt will release detailed info or do very much until Monday. It would explain lack of more info.

Prominent dissident Guo Wengui is saying he has information that China wants its citizens back so they can’t easily disseminate bad information outside China. Plausible and something I could see the CCP doing. Have no way to confirm this.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The second suspected case here in Portugal (yesterday) was also a negative one.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Yes not enough information, i guess have to wait then...

But if 2-3 Weeks go pretty much like this Weeks now have been going i start saying This is blasphemy! This is madness!

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Hear you, brother. I've been waking up at night wondering if new information has emerged about this disaster.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jcavs1388
We have our first case in Massachusetts, just hit the news. I didn’t even know we had a person that was under watch

When you have hundreds under investigation for possible infection, they won't list every possible case. So that's why you didn't know. I'm surprised they mentioned that we had a potential case in Kansas, but then again, anything out in Kansas can be news since not much happens out here.

Not that I'm complaining about that, mind you.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I want more Data, on this statement. How and why would the Chinese, say that...

www.scmp.com... _app&utm_name=iossmf

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

While your antibodies can learn how to fight about a certain virus or bacteria, they're able to "forget" about it too. This is not a problem with vaccines since they're made in advance to help with what is believed to be that year's upcoming flu and such flu is short-lived in the wild.

That does seem to imply that China is sure that the coronavirus is going to stick around for a while, at least there.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

Thanks for posting, this is really scary if true. WTF over.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: misfit312

Well that’s nice, airborne and fecal oral transmission. That also means it could be pretty stable on fomites or any object commonly used. Hand sanitizer in your pocket at all times, works for my kids lol.

I saw other reports that it can also cause viral conjunctivitis and hit other areas of the body through the eye if somebody or your kids decide to cough in your face. That’s usually how my kids share with me anyways.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Oh nothing to see here just Police erecting barricades on the 3 main bridges in Wenzhou. Move along.

Twitter

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Face Masks: What Doctors Say About Their Role In Containing Coronavirus

But wearing an N95 respirator is serious business, says Dr. William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Health care workers who use these respirators are required by law to undergo an annual fit test — a check to make sure the mask forms a tight seal on the wearer's face so that contaminated air can't leak in. Although N95s are disposable, workers must also demonstrate that they know how to put on and wear the model that they are using.

This type of mask is "difficult to wear" because it's uncomfortable, Schaffner says. Some people find it harder to breathe when wearing the N95. But "that's the kind of protection that really works."

MacIntyre's research has shown that N95 respirators offer far superior protection. But in one study, she did find that family members who wore surgical masks when caring for a sick child at home had a lower risk of getting infected. But the benefit only occurred if people wore the masks "all the time when you are in the same room as the infected person," MacIntyre says — something many families in the study found difficult to do. "But if they did wear it, yes, they got protection."

And regardless of where you are, there is something that all the infectious disease experts I spoke with recommended everyone do to keep from getting sick: Wash your hands — frequently.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mateo96

Yeah, experts are saying this virus is here to stay. It will circulate through the population just like any other seasonal cold or influenza virus. What stinks about that, even though it is extremely unlikely to significantly change and cause another major outbreak, it will still slightly mutate each year and reinfect people.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A man in Boston who recently returned from Wuhan, China, has the eighth confirmed case of coronavirus in the US.

twitter.com...

FFS, any American in Wuhan should remain quarantined in Wuhan.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
a reply to: WeAllWait

With everything taken into consideration, I cannot wrap my head about why there are 34 OUTBOUND flights from Wuhan and Guangzhao ALONE. 34... in the air.. RIGHT NOW.

With the case building that this is an engineered virus it makes perfect sense. They gotta spread their little baby of death and destruction to save the planet. Makes about as much sense as 9/11.

It would be interesting to note who went into bunkers very early on in this. My guess would be that they know exactly what this is.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You gotta be kidding me!!! ☠💣

* China reported an outbreak of a highly pathogenic strain of H5N1 bird flu at a farm in Shaoyang city of the southern province of Hunan, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said on Saturday.

* The case occurred on a farm with 7,850 chickens, 4,500 of which have died of the bird flu.

mobile.reuters.com...

top topics

<< 223  224  225    227  228  229 >>

join