It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Infrastructure's Report Card - "D"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by vor78
Hmm...and just who benefits if the gov't spends the kind of money being proposed? Why, could it be these same civil engineers?

As always, consider the source when studies are published.

Ah so we should just stick our heads in the sand and ignore this latest warning(it has not been the first you know..)?
[sarcasm]I mean Engineers are so hard done by they so desperately need the work.[/sarcasm]

Complacency is the biggest danger to our way of life then terrorism ever will be...

EDIT: And who benefits if we do nothing? China and India... The longer we wait to modernize our infrastructure the more it will cost...

[edit on 9-3-2005 by sardion2000]

I'm not saying that there's no room for improvement. Nor am I saying that this study should be disregarded. I'm simply saying that the predictions of doom and gloom need to be tempered by the reality that those who stand to benefit the most financially are the same ones who undertook this study. Knowing that, I find it quite difficult to take this study at face value.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Route 80 from New York, running through New Jersey, into Pennsylvania has NO ASPHALT.
Just Raw cement with some spots of asphalt left.
Whats that tell ya?

The roads of the empire have no clothes!

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I'm not saying that there's no room for improvement. Nor am I saying that this study should be disregarded. I'm simply saying that the predictions of doom and gloom need to be tempered by the reality that those who stand to benefit the most financially are the same ones who undertook this study. Knowing that, I find it quite difficult to take this study at face value.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Honestly, I could care less who gains financially from the infrastructure overhaul that is despreately needed. Just as long as it's getting done. If these civil engineers can greatly improve the way of life here, then I say make them all rich doing it.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
We are now starting to see what the last 4 years of
budget cuts and outrageous defend spending is doing
to our nation.

Hi Marg. No, it isn't the last four years of 'budget cuts and
outrageous defense spending' ...

Clinton was in for 8 years prior to these four Bush years.
The country didn't just fall apart in the past four years.
Clinton did NOTHING for our infrastructure. NOTHING.
He stopped spending money on defense, infrastructure,
everything .. just so he could look good and buy the
1996 election by telling everyone he balanced the budget
(when in fact he just stopped spending on critical items).

I'm glad this report is out. Excellent. Now perhaps we will
stop sending all that aid money to foreign countries and we
can start spending it on ourselves.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Clinton was in for 8 years prior to these four Bush years.

This may be the only non ignorant statement in your entire post.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The country didn't just fall apart in the past four years.
Clinton did NOTHING for our infrastructure. NOTHING.
He stopped spending money on defense, infrastructure,
everything .. just so he could look good and buy the
1996 election by telling everyone he balanced the budget
(when in fact he just stopped spending on critical items).

Lets look at that NOTHING!

Clinton came into office fighting a $300 Billion deficit from the Bush Administration.

In 1993 Clinton's economic package passed without a single Republican vote in either chamber of Congress.

The Republican party predicted that it would result in economic chaos.

Republicans attacked all health care reforms proposed by Clinton in 1994 that attempted to provide for an additional 60 million Americans but didn't provide for economic windfalls for health insurance companies.

the Republican House majority forced a government shut-down unless Clinton signed a republican budget. A budget that cut education, Medicaid, and many infrastructure programs. The U.S. government closed its doors twice, first for six days in November and again for twenty-one days in December 1995.

The deficit was lowered from $290 billion in 1992 to $203 billion by 1994.

In 1999, tax revenues generated a surplus of $124 billion projected to $1.5 trillion for 2010. Proposals included Infrastructure funding from the surplus.

The Republican proposed NAFTA is the only singlely supported program by the Republicans during the Clinton Administration. Thanks.

Clinton ordered Federal spending for infrastructure programs to include direct spending and grants for transportation, water resources, energy, and environmental protection.

Clinton encouraged Agencies to seek private sector participation in infrastructure investment and management. This brought about greater private sector participation in the ownership, financing, construction, and operation of the infrastructure programs.

Clinton authorized $184 million budgeted for the Intelligent Transportation systems (ITS) followed by a whopping $338 million for the Transportation Department's smart road projects — an 84 percent increase.

You’re Right that’s NOTHING.

Phae

top topics

<< 1   >>

join