It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Essential Role of Non-Governmental Organizations in the Development of Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
2001-2009.state.gov...

June 8, 2006
Chairman Lugar, Members of the Committee, thank you for your active interest in the essential role that non-governmental organizations play in the defense of freedom and the development of democracy across the globe. I welcome this opportunity to highlight the contributions of NGOs, to share with you our concerns about the restrictions that a growing number of governments are placing on NGO activities, and to offer suggestions on how we can protect NGOs’ vital work. I will summarize my prepared remarks, Mr. Chairman, and request that my full testimony be entered into the record.
When I appeared before this Committee last September seeking confirmation as the Assistant Secretary for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, I stated that, if confirmed, one of my highest priorities would be "to consult and partner closely with the many dedicated and capable NGOs working on human rights and democracy." I also pledged to "make every effort to protect the work of NGOs against efforts by foreign governments to constrain, harass, intimidate, and silence their work."

As Assistant Secretary, I have had the privilege of meeting with many NGOs, both here and abroad, and I have greatly benefited from their information, their insights and their ideas. As President Bush stated in his second inaugural address: "… it is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world." The work of NGOs is crucial to reaching that goal.

So, if it is fine with the US Department of State to use non governmental entities to communicate with and benefit from their participation in foreign affairs, why isn't it fine for Trump to use Rudy Juliani to bypass potentially corrupt bureaucratic employees that have the potential to undermine, obstruct and illegally transmit confidential information to the presidents adversaries in a corrupt government?
If I knew my county sheriff or mayor, or prosecuting attorney was crooked as the day is long and couldn't be trusted I would do an end run around them too.

edit on 23-1-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

If non governmental channels had not been used during WW2 we may have not won that war.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good point Charles. I agree.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

So, if it is fine with the US Department of State to use non governmental entities to communicate with and benefit from their participation in foreign affairs, why isn't it fine for Trump to use Rudy Juliani to bypass potentially corrupt bureaucratic employees that have the potential to undermine, obstruct and illegally transmit confidential information to the presidents adversaries in a corrupt government?

If you read the transcript of the Trump/Ukraine call again, you will notice that Trump was going to have William Barr call him and Rudy on the AG's request.

The treaty we have with the Ukraine (that Clinton signed into law) specifically states that the points of contacts will be the US AG (or someone appointed by the AG) and Ukrainian law enforcement.

I'd like to see where Obama's AG appointed Biden to that position.

Although Trump is perfectly within his Article 2 powers to send Rudy anyways.

And of course Rudy working as Trump's personal lawyer would not be breaking any law to look into 2016 election issues there either.

It is a beaten to death leftist talking point... that Rudy had no business there.

new topics

join