It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAAF alternatives to SU-30

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
what's against australia fighting fire with fire?

Cheap, effective and with a certain upgrade future I think the SU-30 would be a good aircraft for australia.

The problems would be getting the russian avionics and such integrated with australian and western systems already in use.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I don't know if that would be a problem or not, India has used western and Russian planes alongside each other for decades, a question trhat occurs to me is while the Su-30 may be cheap to buy what about servicing, maintainance and general running costs? While the latest western types are certainly more expensive to buy I think nearly all of them are designed to be relatively cheap to operate so rather than look at the purchase price maybe a comparison based on 20 year lifecycle costs (of every aircraft type) would be a better comparison?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
that's the kicker... the SU-30 is a pain to keep running and the russians usually do a "half-assed" job when they are sent back periodically.

I believe russia requires that aircraft built there are sent back for check-up's now and again at interval... and also because russia does not sell certain componants oversea's...

It's certainly one of their ways of making money.

China manufactures (or used to)... under license, so they get around the restrictions in a way by paying a hefty lump sum... probably something australia is not going to want to do.

India has massive logistical problems... look at how many different airframes from different periods they have running... they admit themselves it's too much

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Thasts totaly ridiculas SU's and MiG's are the most reliable planes EVER designed like the A.K. (needs cleaning onse in a LONG while), American planes are the ones that require "constant" mantinence SU's anf MiG's are even designed to take off from any enviorment while U.S. planes need VERY clean "PAVED" runways, so I don't know where you got your info about SU's but it's DEFENATLY fron anti-Sukoi source.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by SiberianTiger]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I don't know if that would be a problem or not, India has used western and Russian planes alongside each other for decades, a question trhat occurs to me is while the Su-30 may be cheap to buy what about servicing, maintainance and general running costs?

The Service end of things is a key point. A while back I posted a thread on the Indian AF looking at the F-16. Why would they stray if they were 100% happy with thier SU's

Siberian Tiger:

Yes Russian aviation has made great leaps and strides as well and can opearate from rough fields, but really is that such a huge tactical advantage? Reliable? Ill bet you dollars to donuts that the Mean hour between failure rates of the two are way off.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

I am with you. Use the Russian airframes, use the best western engines and Israeli avionics/US ASEA radars, would be hard to beat, and oh, get 200 of them

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
To echo comments by FredT, we also know that several countries have had issues with the flow and quality of spare parts from Russia as well. Usually this is mentioned in reference to the MiG-29, but the same may be true of the Sukhoi.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The rumours of parts being hard to come by in India are for sure true. I believe the current issue with the Su-30s is a lack of spare tires. The shortage seems to come from Russian shipping delays.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
However, one of the biggest, if not the biggest factor for future Indian Air Force aircraft procurement, is who will share the most manufacturing technology with India.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join