It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slow Cooker Chili...with Beans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

That's good.

For my chili, I like to use cubed beef sirloin and cubed pork sirloin...but I cut everything up in tiny cubes. It's delicious, but it's hard prep, and it takes a while. Normally, you have to prep chili on-site at a competition, and the judges like harder better.

I always loved being done with the meat prep, where I could get into the veggie prep (i.e. like peppers, fresh spices, etc)...while the roux and the meat was simmering. Generally, you only have (2-4) hours. Once you get into the veggie ingredients, the chili starts smelling very good.

Then there was always this judging of your booth, which I totally wasn't into, and ignored, but many of my team mates made a big deal out of it. I let them worry about that, while I worked on the chili.

I won a few, I took below 4th on a few too, but I did take a number of blue ribbons home.

Fun times!!

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Nice, I always use bacon. Make it crisp and cook in pre cut bite size pieces. I use sausage also. Cook and cut into bite size pieces.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: strongfp

careful with them beans in chili, purists will argue to the end of time because it doesn't fit the Texan style.

I know. That's why I said blasphemous to some. :/

Maybe the addition of cocoa gives me a slight pass?
Cocoa is actually very good with meat. I once had a beef dish at the Mexico Pavilion at Disney World which had chocolate in it. It was absolutely fabulous.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
I'll have to give this one a try. I love making various chili recipes. I have the balls to say I've lived most of my life in Texas, and I damn well put beans in it most of the time. I catch hell about it, but I'm not entering it in the chili snob competition, so shut up.

To me, a bowl of chili with beans is a meal. Without beans, it's a starter to a meal, or a topping for something. Then again, I think Whataburger and Buccee's are overrated, so I'm not very good at being a Texan.
Can do chili 5 ways like Steak n Shake ( spaghetti plus cheese topping and fresh onion). Which I’m going to try tonight with this recipe.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join