It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slow Cooker Chili...with Beans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

This sounds delicious and I love all kinds of chili and people's different variations. I will definitely try this one though. I will say I always try and throw in a half can of beer at least. One of the best chilis ever was just a recipe similar to the OP's but cooked in a dutch oven low and slow on a Big Green Egg there was something about the smokiness the permeated the whole pot it was fantastic and even better leftover.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
That's almost exactly how I make mine except swapping out the cans of tomato sauce for an equal amount of V8, I add some diced jalapenos, and no sugar or cocoa. But other than that pretty much exact.

I'd ask how it tasted, but I know it tasted amazing. Now, I gotta make some chili tonight.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'll have to give this one a try. I love making various chili recipes. I have the balls to say I've lived most of my life in Texas, and I damn well put beans in it most of the time. I catch hell about it, but I'm not entering it in the chili snob competition, so shut up.

To me, a bowl of chili with beans is a meal. Without beans, it's a starter to a meal, or a topping for something. Then again, I think Whataburger and Buccee's are overrated, so I'm not very good at being a Texan.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

I use V8 for vegetable soup and Minestrone, and I guess V8 would work here, plus add some vitamins.

I was hesitant to use the cocoa, but the recipe called for it, so I decided to try it. You cannot taste it, but helps add depth of flavor, so I would suggest try.

That said, a big bowl last night with shredded cheese, raw onions, and come crumbled tortilla chips.

Oh. My. God. This recipe is a winner.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Lumenari

Don't forget that for some cilantro tastes like soap. Genetics and all that.

I'm one of them, it's repulsive!

I use Lincolnshire sausage and chopped steak in Chili, never used or will ever use beans. Used to have it with Pasta all the time topped with cheese Nom Nom!

Now I just eat it like a stew/soup

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yea my chili has beans unless I'm just making some quick chili for a chili hot dog or topping on some nachos. Have learned my lesson when using canned beans I rinse those bastards off good. Was making a batch of chili and got in a hurry and poured a can in without rinsing and it just wasn't the same it was edible but it mucked up the other flavors I wanted to stand out.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I debated about putting in half a bottle of Guinness, but chose not to. As far as putting your on the grill, I bet that adds a lot of flavor. I was thinking of trying the new smoked tomatoes Hunts has out, but wanted to try it in something else first. But as far as smoked...that's one of the secrets to my Brunswick.

I always rinse my beans well, except for the pinto beans in sauce.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Tequila and also sugar are great adds to chili (for a secret ingredient). Gotta' be careful here I don't give away too many secrets!

Also, you said Brunswick...did you mean Brunswick stew?? I'd like to hear more!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I've used Rotel canned diced tomatoes in a pinch and they are pretty good, they got a chipotle flavor out that I'd like to try in my chili. LOL, now I'm not gonna be happy till a make a batch LOL and it isn't happening today.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I think he original recipe I found had diced tomatoes with chili peppers, such as Rotel, but I decided to go straight up diced.

But hey, weekend is almost here, perfect for put a batch in the slow cooker.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I did add a little sugar this chili, but no alcohol.

And yeah, I mean Brunswick stew, a recipe I got from my aunt. It is absolutely delicious, but super top secret, lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

First secret to Brunswick Stew is no canned veggies (tomatoes can be the only exception here). Frozen is okay, cooking raw is far better. If you can smoke your meat, using both beef and pork are nice. The thicker the better, it is a stew after all. And don’t be afraid of adding spices, if you can still taste it after eating crackers and drinking a beer and it make you want more, you got just enough spices.
edit on 23-1-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I only use one veggie: corn.

I also use canned tomatoes.

You're correct about smoking, though. That's what makes it supreme. I also use three meats: chicken, pork, beef, all smoked, and chopped as finely as possible.

I add very little spice. Salt, some Tabasco, a little pepper. That's it.

Last batch I made was a full crock pot. I thought I would have enough to freeze but after 2 days, and only 2 people eating, it was gone.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Back at the barbecue restaurant days, I had to use canned veggies (corn, hand crushed by my hand pear tomatoes, Lima beans) per the recipe as we were a franchise. Spices were salt, pepper, white pepper, and something else that escapes me. I added fresh carrots, celery and potatoes. Smoked pork and beef through a buffalo chopper (so fairly fine but no worse than hand chopped). Took about 6 hours to prep and cook as I did a long slow cook.

Should have been a ten gallon batch but I cut water and cooked it down to about eight gallons. A little promotion on my first batch (most of it given away to regulars as a taste test). Results was 800% increase in sales. The owners came in to find out what I did. Agreed it was far better and accused me of lying through my teeth when I showed them my changes to the recipe including specific weights of raw vegetables. And they could not duplicate it to their satisfaction with the recipe either.

The trick was five hours of cooking instead of two. Time was never specified but was understood to be two hours under higher heat. And I used meat that had only been in the smoker but never on the pit. So mine was never dried out nor burnt.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   

I have to say though; your chili DOES look really good!!

(...even if it does have kidney beans in it. LOL!)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I have to say though; your chili DOES look really good!!

(...even if it does have kidney beans in it. LOL!)

Thanks! I think you'd enjoy it. A big bowl topped with cheese, onions, crushed tortilla chips, and a little Cholula.

Heavenly. I've had it two nights so far.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I rarely use fresh tomatoes for any kind of sauce, except for fresh tomatoes I've canned, but they singularly impart the freshest taste of anything.

I might try a stew with added vegetables (love butter beans, carrots), but the recipe I got from my aunt is so simple, and it's one my family loves. You mentioned a minimum of 5 hours, which, 6 is the minimum for the chili i made. I think my stew is minimum 3 hours in a crock pot.

And the smoked meat makes ALL the difference.

The most time consuming part, other than smoking, is chopping everything up so finely.

Results was 800% increase in sales. The owners came in to find out what I did. Agreed it was far better and accused me of lying through my teeth when I showed them my changes to the recipe including specific weights of raw vegetables. And they could not duplicate it to their satisfaction with the recipe either.

Nice. I've considered jarring and marketing/selling mine.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I took an hour to prep not counting the smoked meat. But that was a huge batch compared to for a household.

And since it was in the large pot, that meant I was limited to just breading deep fried squash or breading onion rings... as I used that pot for making the barbecue beans (butter beans) and making coleslaw. Usually I just did salad dressings on those days because that was how things worked out and top off the squash and onion rings.

But 8 gallons of stew in a week in a barbecue restaurant was pretty brisk sales, considering it had plenty competition with ribs and all. Why drop $2.50 on a bowl or even $1.75 on a cup when you have all you can eat ribs on special?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sounds good. I love chili, but I prefer all beef. I also like to use fresh tomatoes. Could also use a little Tunisian Harissa if you like it hot.
edit on 25-1-2020 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
Sounds good. I love chili, but I prefer all beef. I also like to use fresh tomatoes. Could also use a little Tunisian Harissa if you like it hot.

Yeah the original recipe called for 2 lb ground beef, I just decided to use half pork. Since I know people who eat neither beef nor pork, I might substitute turkey if I make it for them.

Try it though, its pretty damned good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join