It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insane Body Transformations For Movie Roles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Time4Nostalgia

Glad you included Christian Bale in The Machinist. I was going to mention that one, had you not done so.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Glad you included Christian Bale in The Machinist. I was going to mention that one, had you not done so.

Surprised you didn't use rapper 50 cent. He looked worse than Christian Bale when he lost a bunch of weight to play a football player cancer victim in a movie.

I think what is interesting is how you can bulk yourself up but most people can't naturally stay that way without working out like a beast everyday.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Surprised you didn't use rapper 50 cent. He looked worse than Christian Bale when he lost a bunch of weight to play a football player cancer victim in a movie.

I think what is interesting is how you can bulk yourself up but most people can't naturally stay that way without working out like a beast everyday.

Steroid use and application is a science.

dxdoi.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I too read the OP title and had to see if The Machinist was on the list.

Bale ate an apple and a can of tuna a day to get there, losing 62 pounds for the role.

After, he had 6 months to get the weight back for Batman Begins... he gained 100 pounds and then was told to lose 20... LOL

Crazy what some will do for their craft, but you have to admire the sheer willpower it took.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'm certainly no expert, but extreme weight changes like that don't seem like they'd be very good for your body after a while.
edit on 1/22/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Absolutely. The bounce back for Batman was equally amazing.

I read somewhere that he wanted to lose even more weight for The Machinist but was not allowed due to health concerns.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Deniro in 'Raging Bull.'
To pack on an insane 60 pounds in four months, DeNiro binge-ate his way through Northern Italy and France. At one point during filming, director Martin Scorsese temporarily shut down production out of fear for DeNiro's health.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
DB for his role in Justice League was pretty impressive:

Who knew he could be a hot Asian chick and a morbidly obese superhero at the same time.

edit on 22-1-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Absolutely. The bounce back for Batman was equally amazing.

I read somewhere that he wanted to lose even more weight for The Machinist but was not allowed due to health concerns.

All I know is that I watched the movie at a friend's house, had a nagging feeling that he was somehow familiar the whole movie (which is an odd/off/creepy movie anyways but I liked it) and then was told it was Bale after.

I was blown away... LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Robert de Niro in raging bull immediately came to mind, he was almost unrecognizable in the final act.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Michael B Jordan's transformation to hulking super hero in Black Panther and Apollo Creed, Jr is pretty impressive from being the scrawny kid Wallace on HBO's wire.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Michael B Jordan's transformation to hulking super hero in Black Panther and Apollo Creed, Jr is pretty impressive from being the scrawny kid Wallace on HBO's wire.

It may just be from my perspective that losing weight is more impressive than gaining weight.

I can gain weight just looking at a pizza, after all.

It's a woman thing maybe?

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Bale ate an apple and a can of tuna a day to get there, losing 62 pounds for the role.

After, he had 6 months to get the weight back for Batman Begins... he gained 100 pounds and then was told to lose 20... LOL

Crazy what some will do for their craft, but you have to admire the sheer willpower it took.

It is easy if you are getting paid millions of dollars and have access to personal chefs / trainers.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I thought Matthew McConaughey's weight loss for Dallas Buyer's Club was fairly dramatic, but Jared Leto had him beat in the visual shock factor arena for that film.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

It may just be from my perspective that losing weight is more impressive than gaining weight.

Not so much gaining weight, but gaining muscle mass.... I do agree that losing weight is harder though. Lack of food / eating would drive me crazy.

A lot of these actors who maintain perfect bodies do so by having pretty rigid meal plans and trainers. Sounds like a miserable existence imho.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

It is easy if you are getting paid millions of dollars and have access to personal chefs / trainers.

Bale wasn't that well known at the time and The Machinist grossed about 1 million dollars, so no, he wasn't making that.

If you wanted to watch the documentary of him losing the weight for the film. you will notice that he didn't need a chef or personal trainer to...

Eat an apple a day with water, an occasional can of tuna and sometimes whiskey.

So it's not exactly like you are trying to characterize it, but we all have opinions.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Not so much gaining weight, but gaining muscle mass.... I do agree that losing weight is harder though. Lack of food / eating would drive me crazy.

A lot of these actors who maintain perfect bodies do so by having pretty rigid meal plans and trainers. Sounds like a miserable existence imho.

I'm a fit woman with a decent 6 pack...

I once decided that I wanted a 15 inch bicep and crunched the math with a fitness freak friend.

I would have to gain 60 pounds just to do that with my frame.

And I would end up looking like Alina Popa.

So gaining muscle mass didn't end up appealing to me.

Thank goodness.

Men have it easier on that front, I'm sure.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

The thing about eating so little and having so little muscle mass is lack of energy. Film days are standard 12 hours, sometimes longer. And since he's the star, just maintaining the energy to act is astounding. People think acting is "easy" but it's really exhausting a lot of the time, both physically and mentally. I'm sure a lot of the time he wasn't acting. He just seems genuinely exhausted.

I don't recall the first time I saw The Machinist, but I think it was around the time it came out, and it may have been after Batman. It had such a dark, disturbing, creepy vibe to it, which is why I like it.

Of course, for Batman, he did have personal trainers and such.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Who knew he could be a hot Asian chick

Wait, I thought he was a curvaceous Latina?

He's a hot Asian, too?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join