It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrites

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I have seen absolute horror shows about the way animals are treated in captivity. There was just a story on social media with photo's about emaciated lions - horrible. Elephants are chained and beaten. Bears being trained to do tricks and hit and whipped until they learn. Dolphins and other sea life where it is scientifically proven that they are pack (family) creatures, are isolated. BUT if the zoo is actually ethical and caring for the animal and provides that animal a clean habitat with companions, especially if the animal is in a desperate situation like it needs rehab or is almost extinct. I think that is ok. I'd never own a fish tank or put a bird in a cage. I don't kill any living thing ever. No even mosquitoes. I believe that God created every single creature on this planet and every one of them has a purpose. I can't speak for anyone else. These are all good questions and they are the same questions and answers that vegans struggle with every day.

Wow.. just wow.. ( shakes head ). I’ve heard of these animal rights videos showing abuse of animals and you have to wonder who will speak out enough to put an end to it all.

I’m gaining a new appreciation for those who tirelessly fight on behalf of abused animals, especially in the entertainment industry and in zoos.. as well as everywhere. Using a dog as a suicide bomber is beyond cruel .. not to mention how they treat man’s best friend in some places.

I honestly can’t look at those videos without getting super disgusted ..then very sad. I just can’t take them emotionally so I avoid them. It’s good that there are strong souls willing to subject themselves to that for the sake of investigating truth and putting it out there for people to become aware of.

Also thank you to you Skorpiogurl for making some of us are more aware of what is happening behind the scenes as far as animal cruelty.. if nobody cares.. nothing will change.. and it may get worse.. and maybe that’s already happening, which is really sad.

Anyone who can’t give a huge thumbs up to anyone fighting animal cruelty in zoos, training, etc ..has a sensitivity chip missing.

Best in the future skorpiogurl , in the continuation of bringing awareness to this topic.👍🏼

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I don't think it is ok to get kids eating chicken nuggets full stop. Although both mine do so I am a hypocrite, as the thread title

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I agree but most will not.

It's like people who love dogs and cannot stand the sight of any being harmed. Yet, they will go and eat factory farmed pigs and not think anything of it. Despite pigs being just as intelligent as dogs.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Despite pigs being just as intelligent as dogs.

But being incredibly more delicious.

I'm making porkchops tomorrow, I intend on getting them from a place called Fossil Farms which raises their own livestock in a non-factory process.

edit on 23-1-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Being a member of a species that is on top of the food chain based on intelligence, opposable thumbs and the mastery of fire, I'll eat whatever I damned well please.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Weak.. Do non-vegans ever bring up the fact that most soy and corn production are for livestock?

kids.mongabay.com...
"Why is soy expanding in the Amazon?

Soybean cultivation is expanding in the Amazon due to economics, including high prices for grains. These high prices are driven by increasing demand for meat in countries with a large and fast-growing middle class (especially India, Brazil, and China) and U.S"

Livestock does much more damage to south america than any plant used by vegans.

Secondly, it's a countries responsibility to regulate crop growth so water shortages don't happen!

Countless weak arguments.
edit on 23-1-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hopefully the conditions are good. I remember learning that cage-free eggs just meant jam packing chickens into a large barn building so they can't even move.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Hopefully the conditions are good.

They are, I also used them when I had my restaurant as they were local and sustainable.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Your argument makes no sense. The world will not just suddenly become vegan...

Animal production will meet the demand and trends. And i don't have a problem with people raising chickens in a nice environment and eating their eggs. That's not a big deal to me.

The big deal is factory farming which ive seen nothing but nonsensical arguments being used to defend it.

edit on 23-1-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Hopefully the conditions are good.

They are, I also used them when I had my restaurant as they were local and sustainable.

Fair enough then.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Those weren't arguments on my part. It was different ways at looking at things for context.

The point was no matter what the dietary choices at this point in humanity, it's going to have negative impacts due to our population explosion.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, or say one way is better than another.

Ideally we find balance in all ends of our food supply chain. Right now, it's unsustainable and damaging to different environments and economies.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Being a member of a species that is on top of the food chain based on intelligence, opposable thumbs and the mastery of fire, I'll eat whatever I damned well please.

Please stop at young children !

I can appreciate where you are coming from.. I really like meat and dairy.. and I will continue to eat it.

I remember watching this movie once about a native tribe and their spiritual practices.
There is this scene in the movie where a young native man is getting ready to shoot a buck.

He beautifully offers up a prayer for the spirit of the animal to the creator while thanking the creator for the bounty. I’ve never seen such a beautiful hunting scene... ( they also made sure to kill it as swiftly and painlessly as possible )

They used everything.. and it reminded me of how it must have been in pioneer days.. butchering your own meat.. tanning hides.

I believe skorpiogurl is an animal rights activists that does research and makes her stance and opinion known because she legitimately cares about cruelty to animals. She knows more than some of us about the back end of some of these industries and that’s the reason behind her personal choices as well as the boycotts for herself.

I don’t think she’s telling us not to eat meat.. just to be aware of how things are done and perhaps make choices reflecting that you care.

Not sure why I even said the above about the OP.. you probably could figure that out on your own.🤷🏻‍♀️

I will add this interesting story to this post.

There was a part of our province that was being over populated with deer. Like it was getting so bad people in certain small towns were waking up to groups of deer in their yards feeding off gardens.. trees.. plants, etc.

It is situations like those where I think it’s necessary to cull .. or move some to new territory.. but that would only cause more population growth that may become unbalanced without hunting.🤷🏻‍♀️

I appreciate the hunters who do it as painlessly as possible, using as much of the animal as possible. People who hunt for sport without need for food make me nervous. 🙁
edit on 23-1-2020 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
oops
edit on 23-1-2020 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I never have, nor would I ever tell anyone what to eat. I have said it before in pasts posts - To each their own.

Ignoring an issue does not make it go away. Being angry or sarcastic about something does not make it go away. I like to spread awareness because that's how things change. I am not going to get into it here because it would take to long and this post isn't directly about animal abuse or factory farming. Really I just wanted to vent about those "hypocrites" in my original post.

BTW - Today's top story - There was some type of festival in China and as a gag they took a 250 pig, dressed him in a cape and tied bungee's around his back legs before shoving him off of a 40 story building. The poor thing bounced and hung there screaming and terrified. The organization responsible is getting hammered from agencies, groups and governments all over the word as they should.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Ignoring an issue does not make it go away. Being angry or sarcastic about something does not make it go away. I like to spread awareness because that's how things change. I am not going to get into it here because it would take to long and this post isn't directly about animal abuse or factory farming. Really I just wanted to vent about those "hypocrites" in my original post.

I think you and I have seen eye to eye on some of this.

We as societies need to change how we see food as a whole though... Not just meat.

We need to exit trade deals that exploit other nations, and focus on sustainability at home. I think consuming things close to home is an important way for our bodies to be acclimated to that environment. It also keeps money in local economies, helps with jobs, keeps balance in areas in regards to development vs nature. It helps watersheds by retaining moisture instead of runoff... We could go on and on.

But I don't see that happening as very few in politics even acknowledge these issues. Too many powerful industries and interests keep politicians in their pockets.

Unfortunately these same powers even have the clout to infringe on free press.... The factory farms you speak of, pork in particular have gag orders on getting images of the conditions and publishing it.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Fair point. It's like how almond milk is killing bees because people in the industry are trying to force bees into unnatural pollination methods for winter supplies.

More people , more demand.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Fair point. It's like how almond milk is killing bees because people in the industry are trying to force bees into unnatural pollination methods for winter supplies.

More people , more demand.

Yea, my overall point was I don't try and sh** on anyone for their diet choices.

Most people only live near super markets that offer few if any ethical food options. Many are in food deserts that don't even have legitimate grocery stores.

Even if someone does have a high end store that have different options, that could price someone out real quick.

In an age where farmers markets are phasing out, it's really hard to make the choices we'd like to without spending double on food.

Personally, I think factory farming animals is just as bad as many of the exploiting trade arrangements we have for a lot of our other food.

We have a long way to go to fix a lot of things... But we don't start on blaming people because they are eating to survive within their means.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have intense compassion and love for animals of all kinds.. even the uncute ones. However, I will eat animals.. lots of them. I will kill animals and butcher them while they are still warm. I dont like to eat a lot of different organs mainly sue to contaminants and some of them simply the taste. Doesnt mean I wont prepare them for my dogs. I will eat them raw or cooked or however the heck they are best eaten. I will NEVER tell someone else what to put in their bodies as nourishment.. and wont tolerate anyone telling me. What we put in ourselves through eating is intensely personal.

I would literally become ill if I only ate plants and no animal. Eat for your genetics.. not what makes you more pseudo-virtuous. Some peoples in the world historically only eat plants.. or some are exclusively pescatarians. I guess look into who you are and what your peoples are and your genetics.

We have lost our connection to the earth, its animals, our food, the sacred act of hunting and killing our food, the sacred act of nurturing and growing our food ( animal and plant) ... and the intimate act of eating. Im convinced thats why people just shovel stuff in with no thought.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

One still has the choice to eat factory farmed foods or not. If you can't afford ethically raised animals then dont buy meat!

Rice and beans are extremely cheap. Just because overpopulation creates environmental issues doesn't mean one should just ignore every opportunity to make an ethical choice.

I would disagree that most people need to eat factory farmed animals to live. Plenty of guides on how to buy healthy vegan options or look for local farmers markets for ethical meat.

And yes i can sh!tt on someone's diet choice if it is eating factory farmed animals because they are too lazy to search for alternatives.

We can also choose to not buy products that may negatively impact the environment like almond milk in winter or palm oil.

It's not about affording to eat ethical. It's just lazyness and lack of will to do so.
edit on 25-1-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

See.... I was trying to agree with you to an extent.

But you're getting all preachy.

The fact some people think the whole planet is lazy and should change their diet over night is some crazy platitudes. And it turns people off.

Everyone is supposed to shop ethically, prepare every meal at home even though most aren't home for most meals... Never eat out, and do this for their whole family? I don't see it man. I do what I can, but if I'm working 70 hours and six days a week... Imma eat a damn burger sometimes, sorry world. If love to not pay taxes too since it goes to illegal wars, but I know better.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join