It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is coronavirus and how worried should we be?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   

It is a novel coronavirus – that is to say, a member of the coronavirus family that has never been encountered before. Like other coronaviruses, it has come from animals – possibly seafood. Many of those infected either worked or frequently shopped in the Huanan seafood wholesale market in the centre of the Chinese city. New and troubling viruses usually originate in animal hosts. Ebola and flu are examples

What is coronavirus and how worried should we be?

Poor China, 9 people dead so far with another 400 possibly infected.

The disease can be spread through coughing and sneezing, personal contact with an infected person, touching an infected surface and then the mouth, nose or eyes, and, in rare cases, through fecal contamination.

And at this time of year with people traveling all over the globe for Lunar new year, i hope this one does not get out of control.

Could be the Spanish flu all over again, dependant on the mortality rates.

Take care people.
edit on 22-1-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jan 22 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: Link is broken

edit on Wed Jan 22 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Remember the general air quality in China. That may also play a part in complicating things. Not to say this doesn't cause a nasty viral lung infection, but when you breathe smog, it won't help you recover.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Apparently there are also alleged cases in Vietnam.

Agree on the air quality being a concern, possibly even contributing factor.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Sounds like Concern is raising - Is in my circle YMMV

KILLER BUG Coronavirus death toll hits NINE as cases of ‘mutating’ bug DOUBLE to 440 in just 24 hours

The virus could be declared a global health crisis today after cases of the mystery bug increased from 300 in one day.

It comes as experts in Britain said up to 10,000 people could already be infected and the death rate is currently the same as the Spanish flu epidemic, which killed millions after World War I.....
Professor Neil Ferguson, an expert in mathematical biology at Imperial College London told reporters in Londonthe death rate for the new strain of coronavirus is "roughly the same as for The Spanish flu epidemic, at around one in 50".

edit on 1222020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
heard on the news yesterday their was a confirmed case in washington state. some guy who visited China.

Anyhow, I'm about as worried as I was for SARs, swine flu, etc. Its scary in concept but the hype will end up far more scary than the reality.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I am worried that they will develop a vaccine and force it on the public for a few instances of the disease in the country. Costing taxpayers a billion dollars for a vaccine that will be rushed out and hurt more people than it ever helps.

There are some out there that want us to fear so they can profit by it. Notice that there are no restrictions of going to China. The person who has it here had no symptoms when he was checked on the flight, of course not, three or more days incubation period and one day flight. Now that person may have exposed many people because he/she thought that there was no risk because they were approved her as disease free.

I get a severe reaction to the flu vaccine, I probably will not be able to take a vaccine for this either. My reaction is listed in my medical records, but only as for the flu vaccine, not the coronavirus vaccine. I will not chance a cytokine storm with this vaccine either. I have a pretty bad reaction to the DTAP too, but that is not as severe as I have had to the flu vaccine in the past. The Mucus from the DTAP almost sent me to the hospital, no fever though, just a cough similar to whooping cough which I had many years ago when I was young. I never had much of a reaction to the plain old Tetnus shot and I have had many of those shots working in construction. I did notice a little reaction but nothing worth worrying about with the plain Tetnus.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Coronavirus: How worried should we be?

Stock your bunker and buy some crpyto.

Then end is nigh!

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
And.

It's been confirmed in the US near Seattle.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

You just hear lungs bleeding all the same and it does not bode well.

Sounds nasty, but i suppose it could indeed just be the hype.

Hopefully, you're correct.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   

lets see, 7.8 billion people in the world right now, 440 confirmed cases. no i'm not. granted there's a chance that it can grow but that's part of being alive. all through history there have been viruses and bugs that have killed lots of people.yet the human race is still here. i'm thinking that there will never be one that wipes out everybody, humans will live on. after all humans are the curse of the world if you listen to the greenies

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Nobody suggesting it's going to wipe us all out.

But the likes of the Spanish Flu managed to kill around 50 million people via the pandemic of 1918.

All it takes is for something like Coronavirus to become resistant to our antibiotics, and its not beyond the realms of possibility that a whole load of people could die all over the planet, given the infostructure and ability to transport goods and people all over the place in a matter of days or even hours.

Best that we pay attention to this type of infection because at some point we may not be able to combat them via conventional means.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Only bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics, sir.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I have read that the pneumonia it causes is immune to antibiotics already .......

eta: found it
Coronavirus Outbreak: Everything to Know

What Is the Coronavirus?
The Chinese coronavirus is a highly infectious viral strain that causes sudden, acute pneumonia in patients and does not respond to antibiotics.

This is because unlike a bacterial infection, viruses are nonliving, and thus they are immune to antibiotics and many common forms of treatment.

edit on 1222020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

There is both bacterial and viral pneumonia, sir.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Just reading the news regarding this coronavirus - this is not bacterial based
.... I understand the difference

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Since Coronaviruses can cause pneumonia, either direct viral pneumonia or a secondary ""bacterial"" pneumonia, antibiotics may indeed turn out to be part of the treatment.

Im not a Doctor drewlander, far as i can determine thus far, the recommended treatment is to take pain and fever medications, use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

They might have some new types of antibiotics that will help.

Frightening all the same.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

well actually it's thought that it killed more than that. estimates say between 50 and 100 million which was only 3 to 6 percent of the world population at the time. also after the second wave, it all of a sudden became less deadly.

plus there were circumstances that promoted the spread. such as WWI where victims from chemical attacks, injured from combat, malnourishment and hygiene created prime conditions for the spread.

after the second spread it is thought that the virus mutated to a less deadly strain.

no humans will never be done if unless it's a bug created by some blanked up government that spreads in like a heart beat and there is no time to study and fight it.

edit on 22-1-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Think they are remaking "The Stand" if you are interested.

Aye Spanish flu was a bad one, lucky indeed that it became less deadly in subsequent iterations.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

i loved the Stand, book was much better than the movie. it was watchable though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join