It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird News Story (very strange)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
She’s alive and has been living in captivity for the last 23 years?

But why give the family a ‘heads up’?

Very strange indeed

More likely that a body has been found that matches her description, but they are waiting on confirmation.

That's not how LE would do it unless there were other motives to giving the family a heads-up.

Think about it. If they really found a body that "matched the description," why would they need to say anything to the family (unless they're trying to feel them out and figure which one of them did it)?

They'd just wait on confirmation and if it's her, they tell them. If not then no harm, no foul.

No. There are other reasons for the FBI to do this (as I've stated above) if they in fact did as the family states.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

If it's a scam then I'm sure the FBI will release a statement shortly saying such.

That said, the family should have a liaison in the FBI that gives them updates on the case. So if this info didn't come from that person I'm sure they would double check on the veracity.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It has now made its way to major news outlets cbs posted a story about it an hour or so ago along with an msn article coming up at the top of the search.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Possibly new evidence was uncovered that her case is connected to a current, ongoing, case involving someone recently in the news.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: crimsongod21

It has got to be one of the stranger things I've seen in the news in quite a while actually.

Just makes absolutely no sense why something like this would play out the way it has.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Kidnapped by Epstein or someone connected to him maybe???

Ooh boy, wouldn't that be something!

ETA - Now there would be something I could see where someone would need a spokesperson for!

edit on 1/22/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Maybe the FBI knows the truth will be revealed here, on ATS. That would explain their guidance to the family?

Cheers
edit on 22-1-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
And the suggestions to "lay low" for a while...very, very, weird indeed!!

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Given the status of the case, the media is going to pounce on the family like vultures even if was just a confirmed single earring worn that night found next to a parking lot in a park she never would have frequented like Griffith Park or something. The FBI could be sympathetic to the family after all these years.

A new clue but really nothing to go on sort of deal.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Given the status of the case, the media is going to pounce on the family like vultures even if was just a confirmed single earring worn that night found next to a parking lot in a park she never would have frequented like Griffith Park or something. The FBI could be sympathetic to the family after all these years.

A new clue but really nothing to go on sort of deal.

I was living in CA at that time - Palo Alto.

This was *very* big news at the time. Especially since she was a very bright, pretty young woman who was attending Cal Poly. That's not a school for dolts - trust me.

I hope for the sake of her parents that the news isn't too awful. But since I'm almost certain she's dead it's already awful enough. Absent any other information, the actions and behaviour of the FBI is strange to say the least.

As a matter of fact, there has been a lot of "high-strangeness" via vis the FBI lately.

I wonder if something is afoot?

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Possibly new evidence was uncovered that her case is connected to a current, ongoing, case involving someone recently in the news.

Well, the Zodiac Killer - who was operating in that area big time for years - was never caught.

Wouldn't *that* be a kick in the head?

Jake Gyllenhaal would have to make a "Zodiac Part Deux" or something...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Zodiac was active in San Francisco. San Luis Obispo is about four hours away. Plus, the MO doesn't match Zodiac at all. And that's ignoring the fact that Zodiac's last suspected attack occurred 26 years before Smart's disappearance.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Here's some interesting news from May 2016...

or the Sheriff’s Office, Smart remains a missing person, one of 17 “career missing persons” originating from San Luis Obispo County since 1986.

Read more here: www.sanluisobispo.com...=cpy

Considering that the entire county of San Luis Obispo only has a population of approximately 270,000 and the City of San Luis Obispo only has a population of approximately 45,000, I think the information above and below might be telling.

Reported January 2019...

1. Why are we talking about human trafficking in San Luis Obispo County?

Labor and sex trafficking are happening in San Luis Obispo County. The District Attorney’s Office has prosecuted nine human trafficking cases since 2014. These cases involved 26 victims of commercial sex/labor trafficking, 15 of which were minors. Unfortunately, these numbers do not fully represent the extent of human trafficking occurring on our Central Coast. Some victims fear or are skeptical of law enforcement and will instead reach out to nonprofit or a faith-based organization for help. Many victims may not have the opportunity to seek help or even know where to look for that help.

www.slocounty.ca.gov...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

You may be correct, but my suspicion is, this 'new development' is much more explosive than that.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Zodiac was active in San Francisco. San Luis Obispo is about four hours away. Plus, the MO doesn't match Zodiac at all. And that's ignoring the fact that Zodiac's last suspected attack occurred 26 years before Smart's disappearance.

True re: SF Bay area as his preferred hunting ground.

But he traveled.

Remember Cheri Jo Bates from Riverside? From Wikipedia:

Riverside attack

On October 30, 1966, 18-year-old Cheri Jo Bates, a student of Riverside Community College, spent the evening at the campus library annex until it closed at 9:00 p.m. Neighbors reported hearing a scream around 10:30 p.m. Bates was found dead the next morning, a short distance from the library, between two abandoned houses slated to be demolished for campus renovations. The wires in her Volkswagen's distributor cap had been pulled out. She was brutally beaten and stabbed to death. A man's Timex watch with a torn wristband was found nearby.[56] The watch had stopped at 12:24,[57] but police believe the attack occurred much earlier.[56]

edit on 1/22/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

But he traveled.

Riverside attack

On October 30, 1966, 18-year-old Cheri Jo Bates, a student of Riverside Community College, spent the evening at the campus library annex until it closed at 9:00 p.m. Neighbors reported hearing a scream around 10:30 p.m. Bates was found dead the next morning, a short distance from the library, between two abandoned houses slated to be demolished for campus renovations. The wires in her Volkswagen's distributor cap had been pulled out. She was brutally beaten and stabbed to death. A man's Timex watch with a torn wristband was found nearby.[56] The watch had stopped at 12:24,[57] but police believe the attack occurred much earlier.[56]

I think I saw mentioned on some documentary about Zodiac as well that they think he operated somewhere in NY state for a short time. Maybe Rochester or Buffalo? Can't find it now and have to do work.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 35Foxtrot

But he traveled.

Riverside attack

I think I saw mentioned on some documentary about Zodiac as well that they think he operated somewhere in NY state for a short time. Maybe Rochester or Buffalo? Can't find it now and have to do work.

Wow! Really?

Please let me know if that has some legs. I'd love to see the documentary too...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Speaking of southern CA Zodiac activity - here's an excerpt from a letter the Zodiac purportedly sent to the "Los Angeles Times". Also from Wikipedia...

On March 13, 1971, five months after Avery's article linking the Zodiac to the Riverside murder, the Zodiac mailed a letter to the Los Angeles Times. In the letter he credited the police, instead of Avery, for discovering his "Riverside activity, but they are only finding the easy ones, there are a hell of a lot more down there."[61]

"A hell of a lot more"...

edit on 1/22/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 35Foxtrot

But he traveled.

Riverside attack

Wow! Really?

Please let me know if that has some legs. I'd love to see the documentary too...

It was bothering me so I searched.

It was The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer on History Channel.

Link

Look at the bottom of this page. It lists Albany, NY as a "possible," Zodiac contact but couldn't confirm either the handwriting or a matching homicide. Oh well, I'm old. Memory ain't what it used to be.

Anyway, sorry for semi-derailing OP...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I wonder if the FBI warning the family and suggesting they possibly leave town has anything to do with the fact that the only suspect, Paul Flores, isn't guilty. From what I can gather based on multiple reports, the family has tried to take Flores to civil court and even sent information of his suspected guilt to potential employers of his. Their ruthless campaign against him may have backfired. I have to say, most of these news articles made it sound like Flores was guilty as sin.

edit on 22-1-2020 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join