It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Isn’t Global Warming Occurring in Top 10 Cities Nearest The Equator?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Yes you read the headline correct. So we may be too warm or cool in the Northern Hemisphere as I am reading that flowers are blooming in Moscow, that its warm in Scandinavia, that floods of biblical proportions are happening in Israel and in other parts of Western Asia yet here in the USA, Columbia, South Carolina on this clear Tuesday morning I am freezing my arse off as its a freezing 28 degrees. Well below the average seasonal norm for annual temperatures as low of 36 degrees is the historical number.

Columbia, South Carolina 28 degrees at 7:00AM 21Jan2020 EST Average 58H / 36L

So I got an idea. How far is Columbia, South Carolina from the equator? Well its 2352 miles and that's pretty far. Almost the distance from New York City to Los Angeles, California at 2451 miles. That's as the crow flies miles.

10 Largest Cities on the Equator

This is my unscientific method front porch logic as utilized by many despicables here on Earth. Welcome. The only exception is I do have a dental plan and I don't have a washer and dryer on my front porch. I keep it clean.

First of all based on my observations and research this morning ALL of the largest Top 10 Cities Nearest The Equator are having typical average seasonal temperatures this morning. All of them. So why did I focus on the Equator. Why because on earth its the nearest part of earth that is closest to the sun. Plus, since we live in the Northern Hemisphere and are being bombarded with Climate Change stuff on a daily basis I wanted to see whats happening along our earths equator with the huge cities.

Well apparently not much.

Here's a quick rundown of the top 10 cities and today's temperature; over there. Keep in mind that these cities are all over the globe in different time zones and although its morning in South Carolina, its pretty late in Singapore. Also they all have different seasons. Several have huge populations as in millions of residents. When I checked at around 7:00AM EST on 21Jan2020 all were well within their average historical temperatures. So why? Is it because they are sovereign nations who report out the facts? Is it because their governments do not attempt to alter the weather? Is it because all is well? So ask yourself why hasn't Greta Thunberg ever traveled to any of those cities along with her road show. Why?

• Quito, Ecuador, 49
• Nairobi, Kenya, 78
• Cali, Colombia, 71
• Fortaleza, Brazil, 85
• Guayaquil, Ecuador,74
• Medan, Indonesia, 80
• Singapore,81
• Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,84
• Bogota, Columbia, 55
• Kinshasa, DR of Congo, 82

So am I missing something?

As an average [unscientific] Joe citizen I would expect that we would also be observing wild swings in temperatures throughout the world. that includes these cities at or near the equator. Since the equator is closest to the sun should we not also be seeing wild swings in the temperature there too? Or do temperatures typically normalize at the equator regardless of changes in the Jet stream and this and that ongoing in the Northern and Southern hemisphere?

The Equator Could Be Uninhabitable

I am not denying whats happening in the Northern Hemisphere and the fires in Australia. But not much near the equator.

Ignorance is bliss. So can anyone explain the above?

Please

edit on 21-1-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 21-1-2020 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 21-1-2020 by Waterglass because: added link

edit on 21-1-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I think (way too long since science classes) that because the equator stays roughly the same distance from the sun, the temperature variations are smaller.

The Northern and Southern hemispheres are closer or further away depending on which solstice it is.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Thanks, good comment.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Coreolis effect, milantrovich cycles, space unicorns from the planet zorg-the list goes on.

Those who live near the equator can set their clock by the weather, in fact I think that Guatemalan city (or Colombian i'm not sure) has 360 days of lightning storms a year, and will never cease in our lifetimes. Those who live in equatorial areas should be happy as the storms that are brewed up will bring rain, it's a question of latitude.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

When looking at global warming you need to look at the global average temperature.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Milankovitch cycles

Yup

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If the entire planet is getting warmer then all cities should see temp increases.

Even ones on the Equator.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
If the entire planet is getting warmer then all cities should see temp increases.

Even ones on the Equator.

I'm not a believer in AGW as a driving factor of climate change, but it's obvious that you have not done enough research to have a valid opinion.

Ocean currents, the jet stream, and many otger factors affect "local" temps, and aren't directly relevant to the global temp, as a whole.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

That's not my focus today. I was playing the front porch logic guy and was wondering whats happening around the equator. So I can consider that your as ignorant on this question as I am. That's why I wrote the thread.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

You asked a question and I pointed you in the right direction to your answer. Just because I didnt spoon feed you all of the relevant information pertaining to the answer to your question doesn't mean I'm as ignorant as you on the topic.

Have a good day!

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   

You didn't provide anything except a never ending path to no where. You tossed out a decoy. This thread is about the Equator and global warming there. Not everywhere.

So is it Troll Tuesdays?

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I got an eight foot high snowbank at the end of the driveway and six foot snowbanks almost all the way around my driveway. That came mostly from three storms. It is not unusual to have Yooper privacy fences like that around my house, but it is earlier than normal, we still have three and a half more months of winter. Thank god I have a seven foot wide snowblower on my tractor, I would already be out of room to put the snow when I plow with the pickup.

We have had years like this, about every ten years or so it seems like we get more snowstorms that are heavy and wet snow. I wonder if it lines up with the solar minimum, I should check.

They are fracking and mining too much, energy flow through the crust is being altered and that effects weather patterns. Sure we can do some, but they went wild. They knew of this thirty years ago and then determined that since there was little effect on areas they tested fracking on that it was safe to go crazy with it. If you eat a little watermellon, you feel good, if you eat the whole twelve pound watermellon, you feel like crap. Moderation in what we do on this planet needs to be considered. Cutting a few trees down in the amazon is not going to change much, deforesting it will. Same with Canada, forests stabalize weather.

It hasn't changed that much around here, weather is about the same as usual around Lake Superior. Sure, we get different kinds of years all the time, overall it seems not to have changed much over the years.
edit on 21-1-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

You didn't provide anything except a never ending path to no where. You tossed out a decoy. This thread is about the Equator and global warming there. Not everywhere.

So is it Troll Tuesdays?

No reddit is just loading slow today

On topic
The only answer you will get is it wont effect everywhere I find that to be a bs answer myself if its global warming but never occurs where you live it's not really global is it

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'd say that there are probably a number of factors (in addition to the ones you mentioned) that drive the weather near the equator.

The spin of the Earth makes the atmosphere thickest at the equator, I believe the Troposphere extends about 12 miles.

The area between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn has a lot of water (water is also thickest at the equator). Not as much as toward the south pole, but a lot more water than the northern hemisphere.

Seems like the drag of the earth's spin would have an effect as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

the answer is in the question. But perhaps the real question is do you understand what "global" means?

It means that the average temperature over the entire surface of the planet (of which the USA, for example, represents just 3%) shows a warming trend over a multi-decadal period.

Any one place on Earth is irrelevant. And one year is irrelevant. It's the average of everywhere over 10s of years that we are looking at.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   
However, it's true to say that the warming trend towards the poles, especially the northern polar region, is much stronger than anywhere else. This is particularly odd because due to declining axial tilt, it should be getting colder.

And if the warming were due to any external forcing, we'd expect the tropics to warm more.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

When looking at global warming you need to look at the global average temperature.

Tho this may be a valid point for a different question, this is not helpful in answering the topic's question of why the average temperature at the equator remains unaffected during a period where the global average is reported to have changed.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Begs the Question who benefits from a warming melting Arctic ? All I know if history is a guide some are cheering it, if not driving it covertly ...

Russia’s Cold War Plan to Reverse the Ocean and Melt the Arctic - SMITHSONIANMAG 2013

The Russians, says Mead, wanted to melt the Arctic.

You might laugh, but while Soviet Russia was blessed with the largest land mass of any nation on Earth, much of it resource rich, putting that land to use was stunningly difficult.

…Russia was already spending an enormous amount of money combating the ice. Exploiting the vast petroleum reserves of the Arctic and Siberia was crucial to the growth of the Soviet economy, but every well pitted far-flung men against frozen earth and wind.

As far as the Equator goes they must not be too concerned to "adjust" the data lol just saying ! probably alot harder to fool that demographic

edit on 1212020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

So is it Troll Tuesdays?

Dude you are asking about GLOBAL warming but you only want to focus on 10 cities...and you call me a troll when I point out the obvious glaring fact that if you want to learn anything meaningful about GLOBAL warming then you should look into GLOBAL average temperatures?

Hilarious!

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   

That's right. So you blow it off and wont even discuss it because its Troll Tuesdays and it doesn't fit your agenda. Typical University Snob sheet and a routine tactic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join